Expressive E touche with Bitwig: Great together!

Official support for: bitwig.com
foosnark
KVRAF
5007 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:26 am

I don't find the automatic "map to controller" works very well with Touché SE because you're likely to move multiple axes at the same time. But the MIDI modulator works just fine since you can specify the CC yourself.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
7521 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: Expressive E touche with Bitwig: Great together!

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:29 am

foosnark wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:26 am
I don't find the automatic "map to controller" works very well with Touché SE because you're likely to move multiple axes at the same time. But the MIDI modulator works just fine since you can specify the CC yourself.
Yeah you don't want to use map to controller because then it's an absolute control over the parameters position. That wouldn't work well at all. You relative modulation so you an still adjust the resting parameter positions and have the touche expressions go from there (positively or negatively).
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1. Bitwig 3.0, Steinberg UR44.

Yokai
KVRian
687 posts since 7 Nov, 2017

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:39 am

Question: when y'all use the MIDI modulator with the Touche, all four of the CCs operate only in unipolar mode, correct?

Next question: Bitwig just "sees" the Touche SE (when you're not running the Lie software), or do you need to run some generic or specific extension for it? Like, how exactly do you make Bitwig "see" the four CC values coming out of the hardware controller itself if you're ignoring the Lie app/VST itself, and just using Bitwig's "MIDI" modulator to do something with those four CC values?

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:07 am

Yokai wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:39 am
Question: when y'all use the MIDI modulator with the Touche, all four of the CCs operate only in unipolar mode, correct?
Yes you would want unipolar because the touche has a default resting position of 0, so you'll want it in just one direction. Perhaps you could assign the sideways cc's as the same cc and then assign it bi-polar. Maybe. Actually no that probably want work. You'd probably still want uni-polar still for both as separate cc's but you could always assign those to the same mod destination just having one going in the negative direction. So that would give you a bi-polar mod expression for the left and right if you wanted.
Next question: Bitwig just "sees" the Touche SE (when you're not running the Lie software), or do you need to run some generic or specific extension for it? Like, how exactly do you make Bitwig "see" the four CC values coming out of the hardware controller itself if you're ignoring the Lie app/VST itself, and just using Bitwig's "MIDI" modulator to do something with those four CC values?
Just add a generic midi device in the controller settings and set the input to touche. That's how bitwig can listens to the cc's coming from it.

Yokai
KVRian
687 posts since 7 Nov, 2017

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:38 am

Got it. Thanks for the clear answers! I think I might try one of these :)

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:11 pm

Another great midi modulator device is a Roli Lightpad Block. You get X, Y and Z (pressure). So that's 3 expressions with one finger. Has some advantages over the touche as well in that X and Y can stay at same place while you do faster modulations of the Z axis.

polishbroadcast
KVRist
33 posts since 16 Mar, 2007

Post Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:39 pm

Great thread and timely. I was also looking at the SE version and had a question: is the loss of "profiles" from the flagship a big deal? From what I understood, if you set up an instrument—say a cello in Kontakt—but then wanted to control a different instrument—Massive—you'd have to switch profiles so the mapping would work. ie. do you have to send a new profile to the SE each time you want to control a different VST?

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:55 pm

Never been a problem here with the SE, didn't know there were profiles on the other one. I would just leave the cc's as they are anyways.

SLiC
KVRAF
4378 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:47 pm

The profiles are for hardware synths (memory slots) but you can save unique cc assignments and set ups for VSTs if you want...it’s just not really needed if you are using the Lie software.

Talking of Lie, a new version is coming out with new presets and a new synth
i7 Win 10 PC+ Surface, BWS V3, StudioOne 4, Cubase 10, Live 9 suite, X32 Desk. , DM12, Odyssey, P8, Virus TI, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, Heat, Digitone, Deluge, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

SLiC
KVRAF
4378 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:30 am

i7 Win 10 PC+ Surface, BWS V3, StudioOne 4, Cubase 10, Live 9 suite, X32 Desk. , DM12, Odyssey, P8, Virus TI, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, Heat, Digitone, Deluge, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:26 pm

Interested to find out more about their new synth.

Return to “Bitwig”