Andromeda - Ambient, Electronic

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
frank1985
KVRist
171 posts since 4 Jun, 2018

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:54 pm

Hey guys, looking for some honest feedback on this before I give it another run through.

https://urlzs.com/u6SnN
Last edited by frank1985 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

wagtunes
KVRAF
16188 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Andromeda - Ambient, Electronic

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:00 pm

My Feedback

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 8
Performance - 8
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 8

Comments: Intro immediately reminded me of Phil Collins' "In The Air Tonight". In fact, the whole piece does. For me, this cries out for vocals. The backing track is mysterious and well done as a backing track but for me it just doesn't stand on its own. Just not enough going on.

rotku60
KVRist
38 posts since 31 May, 2004

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:31 pm

You might try re-balancing the lead against the backing pads. They seem to be competing for the same space and frequencies. The melody is okay, there seems to be a section from 2:00 to 2:40 that is lacking for melody. Overall, nice instrumentation and good feel. The structure makes it a little less ambient and lean a little more electronica.

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
24177 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:39 pm

Good mix. Nice thump to the bass and space for everything ... it's all a bit random, but pleasant enough none the less. A little delay on the intro melody to add some movement might work. :)

Benedict
KVRAF
2845 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi Mr 1985

Space Music is my bailiwick so I'm in...

The overall sense of Balance is wrong. From the mix you seem to be saying this is Techno with that overloud/bassy kick. Yet the up-top which is supposed to be the interesting/unique part is de-emphasized under the drums, esp those ratcheted hats.

The pads are nice enough and give the impression that they are to become the backbone of the piece. Sadly then, the "musical" parts that move around it don't feel connected to the direction the pads give, or even each other. As a result, it seems to wander aimlessly which is a shame.

I think that there are usable ideas in here but I think that you haven't committed to a direction for your scene and the story that grows from it. Is this a journey through Space or a drum machine workout? What is the core & direction and what supports that?

I'm sorry if that wasn't the feedback you wanted, but if I thought it was crap I wouldn't have commented. If it were mine, I'd kill the drums until I had a musical narrative and then see if/where the drums were needed to drive the story. I'd also look at the note phrases to work out what they are saying and where they are not meeting and even at odds with each other.

Happy to help if you like.

:-)

frank1985
KVRist
171 posts since 4 Jun, 2018

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:49 pm

Benedict wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:39 pm
Hi Mr 1985

Space Music is my bailiwick so I'm in...

The overall sense of Balance is wrong. From the mix you seem to be saying this is Techno with that overloud/bassy kick. Yet the up-top which is supposed to be the interesting/unique part is de-emphasized under the drums, esp those ratcheted hats.

The pads are nice enough and give the impression that they are to become the backbone of the piece. Sadly then, the "musical" parts that move around it don't feel connected to the direction the pads give, or even each other. As a result, it seems to wander aimlessly which is a shame.

I think that there are usable ideas in here but I think that you haven't committed to a direction for your scene and the story that grows from it. Is this a journey through Space or a drum machine workout? What is the core & direction and what supports that?

I'm sorry if that wasn't the feedback you wanted, but if I thought it was crap I wouldn't have commented. If it were mine, I'd kill the drums until I had a musical narrative and then see if/where the drums were needed to drive the story. I'd also look at the note phrases to work out what they are saying and where they are not meeting and even at odds with each other.

Happy to help if you like.

:-)
Thanks everyone for the feedback. And benedict, I appreciate the honesty...I get where you’re coming from; listening back there is a bit of a musical disconnect between the parts, and the drum machine wankery dominates things a bit too much...would be better to dial those patterns back a bit and then unleash them when needed, to drive the story forward as you say. I’ve been getting deep into drum programming lately and got a bit carried away :neutral:

Benedict
KVRAF
2845 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:00 pm

frank1985 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:49 pm
I’ve been getting deep into drum programming lately and got a bit carried away :neutral:
I understand, been there :-)

jethrobull
KVRAF
1629 posts since 5 Jun, 2011 from England,UK

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:41 pm

I agree with Wags here. It's probably more of a backing track to something. Some of the lower frequencies clash a little but found this an interesting little piece. Nice,subtle variation on the drums/perc. Relaxing listen.
Good work!
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just make noise"
myfeebleeffort
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

fastlanephil
KVRian
785 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:27 pm

I like feel of the music but cut the drums except maybe for the kick and add a wandering bass line.

Return to “Music Cafe”