TBProAudio: CS-5501 - Channel Strip Plugin for Windows and Mac OS X

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
CS-5501V2

Ah, it's available to purchase now. Saw the product page on the website a while ago, but couldn't purchase yet. Was the interface inspired by RND 500 series modules by any chance? :)

+1 for Pultec style boost-n-cut bands
+1 for the limited-range EQ bands

In a digital-style EQ, I think it's desirable to have equal and total control over all frequencies in every band. But in an analog-style EQ, or at least the EQ in a plugin that mimics an analog device like a console/channel strip, I really prefer to have the bands limited and fixed in a well designed manner. By that I mean there should be some overlap between the bands, but the bands should be clearly limited to specific ranges that make sense. I think that nothing needs 5 full-range bands of EQ if it was recorded well, and if it really needs 5 full-range bands or more, it should be fixed somewhere else. Ideally at the source, possibly in a full-blown digital surgical utility EQ, but IMO not in a workflow streamlining tool like a channel strip EQ. The focus of a channel strip is on convenience, not flexibility. You have all the individual surgical processors in your line-up already, AB-LM, gEQ12, dpMeter, FinaLoud, Impress, ST1, and so on. I don't think a channel strip should combine all of those flexible products into a single super-flexible uber product, but rather streamline the most important features into a flexibility-restricted but workflow-effective cherry-picked one-page best-of interface.
MountainKing wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:05 amAny crossgrade path for CS-3301 owners?
...or intro pricing? :ud:
Confucamus.

MountainKing wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:05 am Any crossgrade path for CS-3301 owners?
Sorry, no cross-grade.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:11 am Given the modular environment, along with the fact that you already have the framework, would it be possible to allow the eq’s to be swappable? If not on a per-band basis (I’m sure there would be some technical reason why this would cause conflict), then as a whole, for each of the two eq sections.
Thank you for this. We will consider this.

to be clear: i'm not saying you should implement limited range EQ knobs. it's your product and your vision, after all :) i'm just relaying my experience of demoing the thing. if you decide against it, i'm perfectly OK with that.

perhaps consider a Vari-Mu mode in compressor? :D
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:35 am perhaps consider a Vari-Mu mode in compressor? :D
Well yes, it was in a preview, but quality was not optimal. We are still working on it :)

Random buggy behaviour:

- Tiny graphical glitch on the dynamics sections on/off light. Occasionally the lit part will be 30% obscured by the grey 'off' position colour. I haven't tried other similar buttons.

- At one point, of it's own accord (Zero automation etc) the two input faders shot to maximum, 12db over :scared:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:14 pm Random buggy behaviour:

- Tiny graphical glitch on the dynamics sections on/off light. Occasionally the lit part will be 30% obscured by the grey 'off' position colour. I haven't tried other similar buttons.

- At one point, of it's own accord (Zero automation etc) the two input faders shot to maximum, 12db over :scared:
Thank you.
on/off light: which light? The light just below "analog noise"?
Fader change: have you clicked somewhere on the fader, but not on the fader handle?

TB-ProAudio wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:08 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:14 pm Random buggy behaviour:

Thank you.
on/off light: which light? The light just below "analog noise"?
Fader change: have you clicked somewhere on the fader, but not on the fader handle?
Yes, the light beneath "analog noise", just to the left of "Gate1" (or whichever other dynamic module is selected). And no, I was nowhere near the fader at the time. It happened while I was trying to get the lighting glitch to reoccur. None of the gate settings changed, and it only happened once :scared:

Update 1.0.1:
- FIX: Fader, no action, if fader handle is not hit (except mouse wheel)
- FIX: Fader, revised min/max bounding check

Update to 1.0.2:
- Revised speed of all knob dials

Rockatansky wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:57 am [...]
MountainKing wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:05 amAny crossgrade path for CS-3301 owners?
I actually -I know I may be part of a small minority here- completely respect TBProaudio -as well as other companies like Valhalla, Toneboosters...- about not getting into the crappy marketing system of "intro-price, crossgrades, upgrades, Black Friday, whatever Monday..." The price, as it is, is quite reasonable and it will stay the same, as they have shown over the past several years at least. Kudos for sticking to such policy.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

escalona wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:52 pm
Rockatansky wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:57 am [...]
I actually -I know I may be part of a small minority here- completely respect TBProaudio -as well as other companies like Valhalla, Toneboosters...- about not getting into the crappy marketing system of "intro-price, crossgrades, upgrades, Black Friday, whatever Monday..." The price, as it is, is quite reasonable and it will stay the same, as they have shown over the past several years at least. Kudos for sticking to such policy.
Yeah, I was totally serious about that, as the upside-down smiley clearly underlines.
Confucamus.

I am loving this channel strip. Brilliant. Well done, TBProAudio! I think you've hit every feature I could hope for, and just made a bunch of other channel strips obsolete. :D Judging from this developer's other plugins, I'm sure this will see many refinements, which will only make it better. What a great 1.0 release though, wow!

ionekvr wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:09 pm I am loving this channel strip. Brilliant. Well done, TBProAudio! I think you've hit every feature I could hope for, and just made a bunch of other channel strips obsolete. :D Judging from this developer's other plugins, I'm sure this will see many refinements, which will only make it better. What a great 1.0 release though, wow!
Thank you :)

I have not demo'ed this but am temped to buy it if for no other reason than I love the GUI. This and the 3301 are what I wish all plugins looked like. O'le school looks fer ol guys!

Return to “Effects”