New Project, Hope you'll have a listen

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
djgray1200
KVRer
13 posts since 19 May, 2019

Post Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:04 pm

Hi everyone. First time dipping my toes in this pool, though not new to sound. It started back up again after a hiatus when I got addicted to dollar bin diving. It's better than drinking, right?

So I have these... constructions. Not really sure what to call them. I'm using analog samples, shoebox cassette recorders, sheet music from the 30s and field recordings to make drone music. Take these ingredients into the box and use aleatoric arrangements and freeware to make spectralscapes.

I'd be humbled if you'd visit my SoundCloud. Constructive criticism most welcome. Where the diy sound manglers at?

https://soundcloud.com/djgray1200/p-ron ... -st-pierre

wagtunes
KVRAF
16702 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: New Project, Hope you'll have a listen

Post Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:15 pm

My Feedback

Music - ???
Instruments - ???
Performance - ???
Mix - 9

Overall - 9

Comments: Well, this is some of the most unique and unusual stuff that I've heard here. Quite honestly, I don't know what to make of it. It's a little monotonous for my own personal taste but that doesn't mean it isn't good for some kind of use, maybe as meditation or mood music. I don't know. It's just so far removed from what I listen to that I can only evaluate it musically on my own criteria, which is probably not fair at all. Maybe somebody more in tune with stuff like this can give you better feedback. I will say though, I never expected anything like this. Take that for what it's worth to you.

djgray1200
KVRer

Post Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:04 pm

Thank you very much. I guess I don't think of it as performance as much as sculpting. Making washes and emphasizing or deemphasizing overtones. I'm chuffed you like the mix more than anything. It's an aspect I feel pretty lost in.

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
5997 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:43 pm

djgray1200 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:04 pm
It's better than drinking, right?

Hehe, snap. Only reason I got back into music as well was because I needed something to do after coming to the realisation that the boozing was out of control and had to be knocked on the head..

Anyway...I liked this, always been a sucker for stuff with 'found' sounds, and for getting some moving air into creations (tend to use a lot of ambient mic'ing which probably isn't audible for the most part behind the 15 guitars :hihi: , but adds something...possibly :scared: ). This is nicely done as despite the disparate nature of the sounds there is an overarching theme returned to, so it all comes together. Reminded me a bit of some of the more contemplative stuff Future Sound of London did 'back in the day' a little.

Nice one.

biodiode
KVRian
527 posts since 23 Sep, 2003 from UK

Post Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:38 pm

This is something different that doesn't pop on here too often, if ever. I wouldn't like to categorise it but it's like a meditative drone suitable for spas and that ilk. The palette of sounds you have chosen is like washes on canvas and although repetitive it is quite listenable as background music. Nice job....I think :)
Check out more of my work at https://www.biodiode.com where you will find tips, tricks on the blog and more of my compositions.

Bansaw
KVRian
668 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:13 pm

I could hear this as a soundtrack to some progressive Indie film, or Casey Niestat Youtube video! This is like Modern Art, where some people will think its genius and other will think its the opposite.
I bet there will be some film-maker that might jump at this, and a certain crowd that will love this. Especially if you can label the music as "cultural" or "organic".

Benedict
KVRAF
2964 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Post Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:37 pm

It seems to me to be part of the Musique Concrete and/or Dada approach from way back.

While this doesn't have the immediacy of say an REO Speedwagon song where the story is pretty clearly laid out (on the surface at least) this has some semblance of narrative. I can tell because I am 3/4 of the way through and haven't felt the need to turn it off lest I waste more of my life in a pointless space. I feel like perhaps something to counterpoint the main argument (the guitar loop) but that can simply be me not yet realizing your narrative and trying to get it to fit one of mine.

:-)

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
13115 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:40 pm

Quite well-timed for me, as I've been looking to up my found-sound game (Getting ready to order some discreet stereo mic's for an old Zoom field-recorder). Either way, I've been listening to tons of field-recordings over the past week. This fits in perfectly :tu:

I did enjoy this, as it is. However, I'd really liked to have seen/heard a little more focus/isolation given over to individual elements at different moments, like you did when the vocalist came more to the forefront - It gave the whole ambience more contrast and depth. It's the kind of thing that might work really well as a binaural walkthrough of sound installation.

Of course, you might have already done that. If I didn't have an ear infection, I'd put on the headphones to check. So, if it is mixed for a headphone experience, maybe disregard my above comments. Will listen again when I can hear properly :tu:

djgray1200
KVRer

Post Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:20 pm

This is all really encouraging feedback. I'm just popping back into the thread after a couple days to find have all liked it and really gotten what I was going for in terms of drone/concreté/washed out feel. I'm so humbled you've said it's unique. It really is my first time sharing my own voice way and up until recently didn't even think I had one artistically.

djgray1200
KVRer

Post Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:44 pm

El Bo you're absolutely right. I could've given more attention to dynamic interplay between the channels. I thought the ringmod on the guitar was providing that but it's a pretty slow creep so as to almost be like wallpaper. Paisley wallpaper preferably.

djgray1200
KVRer

Post Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:52 pm

Bansaw, I can't say I didn't use "organic" while spitballing on what my mission stament was. I think it's built into the concept. Fragments of sound from analog media are disassembled and shaped again in the box to make something organic sounding again. Using this method's going to allow me to have a truly unique sound since only I have this palette of source material. That and I just have a lot of sounds lying around from collecting, radio, and djing.

thedeadsoul
KVRist
260 posts since 22 Oct, 2009 from Bandung, Indonesia

Post Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:09 pm

I agree with Bansaw, definitely a soundtrack material, something in the line of the "legion" tv series. Just curious, what inspire you to make this? :D

Best,
Adi/Thedeadsoul

djgray1200
KVRer

Post Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:19 am

dead soul, I've always collected pretty offbeat music. Experiment ambient and noise. Someone gave me an LP of Discreet Music when I was in my teens. Down the rabbit hole from there. Lately it's been Hainbach's success on YouTube that's prompted me to try to start making music myself.

Return to “Music Cafe”