E-MU 1616m, 1212m, 1820m, 0404 Audio Interface - Complete Windows 10 (1903 & Above) Installation Guide

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

johnpanizza wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:43 am i have a question about the operation of the patch software

im trying to playback the audio from the ADAT input (optical input) on my speakers witch are conected through the 1/4" coax on the sister card

is this possible? :phones:

if so how do i set this up?
For optical input, you need to specify whether it is in ADAT or S / PDIF format. Also, the system clock must be set appropriately. You can output analog audio from the 1/4 Phone jack. Look for the patchmix dsp pdf documentation and read it.

Hello!

I have a question about the PCI vs PCI-E versions. I have been using 1616M since something like.. Day1 (bought it at TurnKey(!) - which is no longer.. ). Yesterday I got my hands on a spare unit that included the PCI-e card (and an extra CardBus-card, and an extra PCI-card... funny but now I have a complete boxed system in the shelf here as a spare - the guy didn't have the box.. but I had an empty one.. ) :hihi:

.My system is currently Win7-64 (corporate.. I still get security updates..) I installed the PCI-e after removing the old one.. using the betadrivers from Creative - now... I cannot notice any difference between the PCI and the PCI-e in terms of speed... (yeah, I forgot to run some tests I had planned with the old card - to take some notes.. bummer!)..

So - does anybody experience better speed using pci-e vs pci??

I mean - looking at RME - it's the drivers man - the drivers!! They get better latency with USB2 than many does with newer HW..

Eventually - on my next PC-build I will deffo go for Win10 and use the excellent method described at the start of this thread. Well done!! Thanks!
Computermuso since intel8086
http://www.fivelsdal.no/

As you have discovered, it’s all about the drivers. The through-put between the pci-e and pci cards in this instance is the same.

thanks! :)

which cook down the advantage of the pci-e vs the pci versions to their connectivity with motherboards without pci - I guess

yup. I would love to have one with the pci-e connection. I had to go with a riser card adapter for mine in my last build.

Thanks sherwoodsound and everyone who helped to create this guide.

I have an EMU 0404 PCI and it's running perfectly fine on Windows 10 Pro 21H2.

I only found this thread by accident, after idly browsing ebay and being astonished at how much someone was trying to sell a 1616m PCIe for. Then I saw the link to this thread.

I bought a PCIe to PCI adapter, dug my old 1616m PCI out of storage, installed the drivers, and it all works again. I just wish I had discovered this three years ago when I had my new audio pc built.

The update to Win 11 22H2 briefly broke the drivers, but a reinstall fixed that.

I now have a piece of once redundant hardware working again, my Arturia Audiofuse has gone back in its box, and I'm once again enjoying the benefit of high quality audio at slightly lower latency than the Audiofuse can manage.

Well done guys.

Thank you so much for providing this fix for the E-Mu card. I appreciate you.

sherwoodsound wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:14 am This is a complete guide to setting up the E-MU 1212m/1616m audio interface on Windows 10 version 1903 and above. It will work for both PCI and PCI-Express and should work with the E-MU 1820/1820m/0404 audio interfaces too but you may need to rename the 2 instances of your device name in the EMU_Driver_Fix script file. Huge thank you to ClubHouseKey, whose information saved my business from any downtime. The E-MU 1616m PCI-Express is the audio interface I have and I will never get rid of it unless there is absolutely no way to keep using it. Amazing piece of hardware! If any new updates are posted in this thread then this first post will be edited accordingly.

E-MU 1212m/1616m - Complete Install Guide for Windows 10 (1903 & Above)
*Please perform each task in the exact order listed.*
  1. Download the E-MU_Windows_10_Install.zip file from https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar-KCv7xikVOh23zeXTESuD8k2ih.
  2. Extract the zip file to your main Windows 10 drive and change the name of the folder to "temp". (C:\temp)
  3. Remove all current E-MU Drivers and PatchMix software.
  4. Install the EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA drivers and RESTART INTO SAFE MODE by holding the shift key when clicking on Restart. Choose Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, Start-up Settings and click Restart. When the start-up options appear, press F4.
  5. Once in safe mode right-click on the start button and open Windows PowerShell (Admin). Type into the PowerShell window

Code: Select all

set-executionpolicy unrestricted -scope localmachine
    and press Enter. Then type

cd c:/temp
    and press Enter. Then type

./EMU_Driver_Fix
    to run a modified version of ClubHouseKey's script. This will replace our windows files with the updated files. Performing this step in a normal Windows environment will either cause the script to not run at all due to script settings within Windows or some files will not get overwritten because they're in use.
  6. Restart Windows normally and then install the EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00 PatchMix Software.
  7. You should now have successfully installed your E-MU Audio Interface.
If ASIO isn't working then click on Start and type regedit and click on Registry Editor. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, right-click AsioThk32Reg and choose Modify. Change CTASIO.DLL to CTASIO64.DLL.

I hope this guide helps everyone that wants to keep their 1212m/1616m running.

Martin
Producer, Sherwood Sound Studios

UPDATE...

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad we're all continuing to use our EMU audio interfaces far beyond their official OS compatibility. Maybe one day Creative will update us with a driver package that just contains the steps we have here, but I doubt it. As of 10th April 2021, this Installation Guide still works perfectly.

I just wanted to offer a few basic practices to keep your systems clean, fresh and working smoothly, especially when Windows 10 updates can ruin our EMU audio interfaces...
  • Pause Windows Updates for the entire 35 days so you can update manually when not in a critical working period.
  • Clean install Windows 10 (not as an update) via a USB stick at least once a year, or at your own convenience when a new Windows 10 version is released. This will keep your system running smoothly. Remember to backup your files stored on this drive first.
  • Keep all non-OS/program files on a separate drive away from the Windows OS drive (C:). Not only will this improve performance, but it will also help if there is a failure on the OS drive.
  • Backup any non-OS/program drive regularly, preferably after completing a project. If possible, run these drives in a RAID 1 array so if one drive fails you can replace it without losing data.
If this is any help to you at all, please leave a like.
Unfortunately it doesn't work anymore! :( I wrote about this in EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!. Of course I followed the procedure. It would be nice if it could be explained in more detail, thanks in advance.

My version: Windows 11 Pro x64, Version: 22H2, OS build: 22621.521, Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0

Just wanted to add another thanks. My 1010 PCI-E card installed under Win10 64 and I'm testing it out. Thank you, Sherwood Sound!

I can confirm that the procedure does still work with Windows 11 Pro x64, Version: 22H2, OS build: 22621.521, Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0

The file EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1 can be run successfully from the right click context menu. Just choose the option Run with PowerShell.

good news that! thanks iceman! :)

No joy here doing an upgrade to Win 11 on a working fine Win 10 machine. I reinstalled all the EMU drivers and patches but its very unstable. Test project in FL plays for a few seconds then BSOD. Reaper BSOD immediately. Works perfectly with WIN 10... I did try running patch mix as admin and that allowed it to run for several seconds. No playback at all without doing that...

Anyone have suggestions? (other than revert back to Win 10)

[edit] Now that its reverted and working fine again, I remember that this machine has a wireless network card and I know those can cause issues sometimes. I may try Win 11 again and disable the wireless and see if that works. Will post back...

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi there.
I made a github repo with patched driver. Hope it can be useful for someone. (Haven't read whole topic so sorry if there is another working 1-click solution).

Have been using it with e-mu 0404 pcie ~1 year without issues.

https://github.com/am-unklown/windows-d ... e-mu-audio (https://github.com/am-unklown/windows-drivers-for-old-e-mu-audio)
(if link will not be shown you can google it by repo name "windows-drivers-for-old-e-mu-audio")

napojo4469 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:09 am Hi there.
I made a github repo with patched driver. Hope it can be useful for someone. (Haven't read whole topic so sorry if there is another working 1-click solution).

Have been using it with e-mu 0404 pcie ~1 year without issues.

https://github.com/am-unklown/windows-d ... e-mu-audio
(if link will not be shown you can google it by repo name "windows-drivers-for-old-e-mu-audio")
Thanks. This could be helpful, but if I recall correctly, the 0404 PCIe and (I believe) anything "higher" than the 1010 PCIe require different drivers. At least, they did when I replaced my 0404 PCIe with the 1820m on my Windows 7 machine.

The error message you posted in the README.md is the same message people would get using the 0404 PCIe driver with the 1616/1616m or 1820m (which are basically the same card underneath). And from what I've read in this thread, the 1010 PCIe uses the same drivers as the 1616/1616m and 1820m. I haven't seen enough on the 1212m to know which driver it uses.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”