Guitar Cabinet IR loader capabilites

Official support for: forward-audio.de
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cab IR loader plug-ins usually have simple controls like volume, LP, HP, delay & panning. What features do you miss there? Changing the resonance frequency (bass) of the cabinet, parameters like the Kemper has (clarity, pick), transient shaping etc. What would you like to manipulate? :phones:
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
― Arthur C. Clarke
https://www.forward-audio.com

I agree the usual cabinet plugins often are focused on loading and mixing already good sounding IRs. But it might be like that because it's about creating realistic sound.

I think having creative possibilities could be a great opportunity. Maybe I lack creativity here as I have no idea how it affects the sound, but synths have some simple wave-bending options which could also be applied to IR data. Same for some distortion algorithms. Are you only interested in manipulating the IR itself or also the effected output?

Some swear a single IR cannot pitcture a cabinet realistic. And I have to admit I've heard comparisons where the ir version totally lacked depth and sounded too sterile. Maybe this could be an option? Capture the non linearities of the system. Could also imagine a freeform draw of an IR.

Hi XxEDxX & mike_the_ranger, thanks for your suggestions! Sure, being able to get results as realistic & quick as possible should have highest priority. We've already spent time doing research and trying some stuff :D Especially the non-linearity theory came up often... Let's say, we're not quite sure yet if we can confirm this or if it has that much of an impact.

Quick controls which offer certain sound shaping options is also part of a quick workflow. I love the idea of bending the IR waveform. We'll definitely give it a try and take a look what it changes sonically.

Freeform drawing may be a bit hard, as the relationship of the IR waveform and the effect on the audio isn't always that clear and obvious.
― Arthur C. Clarke

mike_the_ranger wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:47 pm Some swear a single IR cannot pitcture a cabinet realistic. And I have to admit I've heard comparisons where the ir version totally lacked depth and sounded too sterile.
Absolutely. Also not every IR works on every guitar input. And that really is a problem I think as the IR should capture the overall response.

I wonder what frequency smoothing on the IR would sound like. What actually would really benefit any IR plugin I saw is a better file browser. Or one with smart sorting for sonic properties. Could help to find matching or complementing IRs more quickly.

Tilly wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:15 pm I wonder what frequency smoothing on the IR would sound like. What actually would really benefit any IR plugin I saw is a better file browser. Or one with smart sorting for sonic properties. Could help to find matching or complementing IRs more quickly.
We've already tried the frequency smoothing and it didn't sound well or useful. Maybe we'll experiment with it or similar methods again.

The file browser is indeed something to look at and there were great and funny suggestions in other forums too :D Let's start easy: would it already benefit your workflow to mark IR's as favorite (global or per instance)? Would a "find similar" or "find opposit" function help you?
― Arthur C. Clarke

Return to “forward audio”