The Big Guitar Amp Sim Roundup + Review

Interactive, forum-based, in-depth reviews, tips, tutorials and more!
Tj Shredder
KVRAF
3059 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:39 am

Real amps rattle, sims don‘t... I bet its mechanical, they shake the floor you are standing on and they are dirty as hell. Studio speakers don‘t do that. You don‘t want to simulate that. You can‘t sim a real Bösendorfer either and you don‘t want to.
But we talk about sims here, and its a dream for the recording engineer. He would rather find a musician who‘d be socialized with sims than record real amps. Someone who is able to get into the good mood with sims...
I get into a good mood already with Trash 2... Which doesn‘t even pretend to be a good sim...

reggie1979
KVRian
1382 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: The Big Guitar Amp Sim Roundup + Review

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:14 pm

That's the thing. The physical nature of the amp and how it gets to your ears (or even a mic) simply can't be reproduced.

They are a tool, again in a mix, most people can't tell the difference and as long as there is low latency, it feels fine to me.

Even if I could use a real amp, why would I want all the hassle of setting up mics and dealing with the neighbors/police :lol:

mmann
KVRer
28 posts since 22 Nov, 2015

Re: The Big Guitar Amp Sim Roundup + Review

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:55 pm

The next two mini reviews cover the same two Positive Grid products that Craig Anderton included in his one comprehensive review. I decided to separate the two in case you were only interested in one but not the other. This will be my last mini review until Craig includes another of his superlative major reviews.

Positive Grid BIAS FX 2
The Interface:
Quite a nice layout with 3 different window size options; the knobs numerical position is shown when moving the knob.

The Amps:
Excellent variety but uneven quality when compared to the amp they are based on. The clean amps (called Low Gain) are clean; the Crunch and Hi Gain sound like you would imagine if not always perfectly matched to the real amp.
Not so good; all the amps have the same set of knobs; contrast this with AmpliTube 4's licensed products which often model every appropriate knob and feature.

The Effects:
My picks; Another Moon (Delay), Jet Flange (Modulation), PainKiller (Distortion) all sound good (in my opinion) and the Poly Octaver (Pitch/Filter) tracks great.
Not so good; Mutron (Pitch/Filter) sounds absolutely nothing like the Mutron III it is based on, not even close.

In conclusion:
Versatile, with lots of gear; just don't expect all the controls to react like its real world equivalent.

BIAS Amp 2
The Interface:
No window size options and the knobs numerical position is not shown when moving the knob.

The Amps:
It has the same set of amp knobs as FX 2; but with way more versatility in changing amp parameters (Preamp, Tone Stack, Power Amp and Transformer).

The Effects:
Only a Noise Gate and Reverb are provided; if you need more, you need BIAS FX 2.

In conclusion:
Mainly sounds quite good, but don't look for a perfect sound match if the amp it is based on has a spring reverb or a complicated front panel (like a Mesa Boogie Mark IV).

Return to “KVR Experts”