Need Better transitions? (Uplifting Trance)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
hhuang9611
KVRian
651 posts since 1 Mar, 2018 from USA

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:13 am

So I have been working on this track for a while. I'm very happy with the overall tune, but I do feel some of the transitions could be better (especially the transition into the piano senction), yet I have run out of ideas for now...
I would appreciate all the comments/suggestions :tu: Thanks for listening.

(Track is currently private, and un-named because I'm not sure it's finished)
https://soundcloud.com/ray_d8/uplifting ... ed/s-8oqP8
Trance, Trance Is Life

Bansaw
KVRian
669 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Re: Need Better transitions? (Uplifting Trance)

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:12 pm

0:29 love it!
3:26> Not sure about that rapid kick repeat. Wonder if a rapid snare would be better?
I think that piano transition is OK.
Maybe experiment: could put a couple of bars of ambient chords in before the piano starts?
Overall, very well done. Was enjoyable to listen to.

Benedict
KVRAF
2977 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 pm

Hi-NRG Disco bassline. Cool.

Sadly there is not really anything that gives the track purpose past the bassline. It needs a lead or some other sort of hook to differentiate it from every other track that sounds just like this (and the mix does sound nice & lively).

Yes the "piano" section makes little sense as it arrives. You are unsure about that transition because there is nothing that lets us know it is coming. Normally a piece shows what is later in the track early on in echos. You see me do this here:
https://youtu.be/xPA1tPHcOm4
Why not push that and the Sash! part after up to the start as that is your real track there. That lets you play the "piano" part again as a rest for the day-glow kids with no stamina lol.

You can re-use the first part for a "Deep" mix.

:-)

hhuang9611
KVRian
651 posts since 1 Mar, 2018 from USA

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:46 pm

Bansaw wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:12 pm
0:29 love it!
3:26> Not sure about that rapid kick repeat. Wonder if a rapid snare would be better?
I think that piano transition is OK.
Maybe experiment: could put a couple of bars of ambient chords in before the piano starts?
Overall, very well done. Was enjoyable to listen to.
Thank you very much! There is actually an underlying snare roll from 3:26, but I guess the kick is just too overwhelming. Will probably adjust that. And the addition of ambient chords sounds like a good option, will try that out :tu:

Benedict wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 pm
Hi-NRG Disco bassline. Cool.

Sadly there is not really anything that gives the track purpose past the bassline. It needs a lead or some other sort of hook to differentiate it from every other track that sounds just like this (and the mix does sound nice & lively).

Yes the "piano" section makes little sense as it arrives. You are unsure about that transition because there is nothing that lets us know it is coming. Normally a piece shows what is later in the track early on in echos. You see me do this here:
https://youtu.be/xPA1tPHcOm4
Why not push that and the Sash! part after up to the start as that is your real track there. That lets you play the "piano" part again as a rest for the day-glow kids with no stamina lol.

You can re-use the first part for a "Deep" mix.

Thank you very much! Very good point about the piano and the video is inspiring. Actually, for this track, I am still just trying to match the current standard of Trance, so standing out is not a priority for me. I guess blending in is what I am hoping to achieve. I will experiment with your other suggestions as well :tu:
Trance, Trance Is Life

Benedict
KVRAF
2977 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Post Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:23 am

hhuang9611 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:46 pm
Actually, for this track, I am still just trying to match the current standard of Trance, so standing out is not a priority for me. I guess blending in is what I am hoping to achieve.
How many Hits blend in ;-)

recursive one
KVRAF
4043 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:25 am

I think it's very good, musically and production-wise.

Awesome track actually, not much to add. It nails all the genre standards and (but) has a really great memorable melody. Sounds like a hit :)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

fastlanephil
KVRian
804 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Post Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:25 pm

It sounds quite fine to me except for the lack of a smooth transition or a bridge of sorts to the piano section.

Return to “Music Cafe”