Opinions on IK's amplitude cabs/amps

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
telecode
KVRian
842 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:20 pm

mumpcake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:47 pm
GR5 Jazz Amp is modeled after Roland JC-120, which is solid state. I don't remember what American Clean Tube 1 is but it is a tube amp and not solid state. A more appropriate model to compare would be the Jazz Amp 120. Or maybe the GR5 Twang Reverb against AT American Vintage T.
Thanks. I will see if I have those. I only have AmpTube 3 CS. Very limited amps and cabs selection.
Just a keep on a goin' a forward, without a single ounce of fear

tappert
KVRist
136 posts since 27 Apr, 2012

Re: Opinions on IK's amplitude cabs/amps

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:15 am

In my opinion Guitar Rig is the worst amp sim soundwise but it's an old soft, almost 10 years.
The problem with Amplitube is that IK almost never updates old amps, Fender2 is nice but if you are looking for Fender amps from the first pack, they're quite old and not on par.

telecode
KVRian

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:32 am

tappert wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:15 am
In my opinion Guitar Rig is the worst amp sim soundwise but it's an old soft, almost 10 years.
The problem with Amplitube is that IK almost never updates old amps, Fender2 is nice but if you are looking for Fender amps from the first pack, they're quite old and not on par.
You may be right. I tinkered with all the guitar stuff I had on hand yesterday. BIAS FX, Amplitube 3, Guitar Rig, Toneworks something for iOS. I was mostly focusing on looking at the Amplitube product as I am still on the fence about getting it on the sale.

For the types of sounds I use, which is mostly clean and a little bit of over drive, I am hearing a slight improvement in Amplitube over GR. But I dont care for the GUI and the extra features. I just need a product that is meant for electric guitar. This is where I thought BIAS FX was the most usable in my setup. Most versatile and allowed for most tinkering with virtual amp settings. But the system resource footprint for BIAS FX I hear is ridiculously high.

Does anyone know if Scuffham S-Gear ever goes on sale? I might be more leaning towards that as i hear is simpler and does one thing but does it really well.

Answered my own question. S-Gear seems to go on sale for $99 regularly.

I will also add, I disagree that GR is the worst sounding one. I tinkered with it and did some guitar only tracks and the most usable sound I got was from GR5. Especially not with the recent trend move to the newer lofi music shift, the fancy sounding sims are going in the wrong direction.
Last edited by telecode on Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

telecode
KVRian

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:50 am

deleted. dupe

acousticglue
KVRian
732 posts since 27 May, 2008

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Sgear will drop you out with workflow. Wait until it's updated. To me the devices in Sgear are decent but tweaking is eh

Fleer
KVRAF
4410 posts since 23 Aug, 2014 from Boston/Cambridge

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:05 pm

No love for Darrell ... yet.

telecode
KVRian

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:34 pm

acousticglue wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:41 pm
Sgear will drop you out with workflow. Wait until it's updated. To me the devices in Sgear are decent but tweaking is eh
Thanks. I guess I better try before I buy. I don't mind tweaking as long as it's not something ridiculous.

reggie1979
KVRian
1091 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:40 pm

Fleer wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:05 pm
No love for Darrell ... yet.
It's great. I'm not a metal god so I sold mine. It's very well done.

c0nan
KVRist
38 posts since 6 Sep, 2015

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:02 pm

mumpcake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:54 pm
Fleer wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:16 am
Any thoughts on the Darrell pack?
I'm curious too.
The Jazz Amp alone is worth it imho. The parametric EQ is great, too. The Cowboy presets are spot on (there´s a demo video with Ola Englund), but besides fiddling around some old Pantera I haven´t played much with the Randall yet.

Gamma-UT
KVRAF
4865 posts since 8 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:34 am

mumpcake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:54 pm
Fleer wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:16 am
Any thoughts on the Darrell pack?
I'm curious too.
This is going to sound a bit weird but I've been comparing the Darrell Jazz against the core A4 Jazz Amp on electric piano (so really backing off on the distortion and a long way from the CFH sound obviously).

The levels on these two are quite different but once you've got them in the same range, they aren't too far apart. The Darrell version tends to distort earlier - which isn't a big surprise. It's also a bit bassier/"warmer" overall and the bright button has a stronger effect than the core A4 version but I don't think it's anything a bit of EQ won't even out. But after that it's going to be a matter of personal preference. It's not a night and day difference by any means.

Return to “Effects”