Opinions - Polyverse I Wish

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
User avatar
chai_all_day_long
KVRer
23 posts since 27 Jan, 2019 from Inland Empire (So-Cal)

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:20 pm

Wondering what your opinions are of Polyverse's I Wish pitch freezer plugin and if you've come across other plugins that could do the same thing (either standalone or in combination). I've been eyeing it for a while, but since there is no demo at the moment just wanted to know if others found it to be very useful and unique or more novel. Also, anyone know what the best time of the year is to buy it if you did like it? Thanks.

User avatar
qoyl
KVRist
207 posts since 17 Jul, 2015

Re: Opinions - Polyverse I Wish

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:57 pm

It's a secret weapon of sorts and I have been quite happy with a lot of the results feeding all sorts of audio into it and triggering midi patterns until I get interesting sounds. IMO NI Form is a far more robust option that will get you similar sounds and much more. iWish is sort of a pain to work with as you need to deal with all the routing externally (audio source, midi in etc) rather than being able to deal with all if it from a single plugin.

User avatar
Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
2514 posts since 17 Jan, 2017 from Planet of cats

Re: Opinions - Polyverse I Wish

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:42 pm

My opinion is that they should have RTO

Trancit
KVRAF
2254 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Re: Opinions - Polyverse I Wish

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:22 am

qoyl wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:57 pm
It's a secret weapon of sorts and I have been quite happy with a lot of the results feeding all sorts of audio into it and triggering midi patterns until I get interesting sounds. IMO NI Form is a far more robust option that will get you similar sounds and much more. iWish is sort of a pain to work with as you need to deal with all the routing externally (audio source, midi in etc) rather than being able to deal with all if it from a single plugin.
Try this with NI Form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x41ZZaZrlo

User avatar
qoyl
KVRist
207 posts since 17 Jul, 2015

Re: Opinions - Polyverse I Wish

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:44 am

Trancit wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:22 am
qoyl wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:57 pm
It's a secret weapon of sorts and I have been quite happy with a lot of the results feeding all sorts of audio into it and triggering midi patterns until I get interesting sounds. IMO NI Form is a far more robust option that will get you similar sounds and much more. iWish is sort of a pain to work with as you need to deal with all the routing externally (audio source, midi in etc) rather than being able to deal with all if it from a single plugin.
Try this with NI Form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x41ZZaZrlo
Seeing as I'll never have half the talent if Erez, I dare not try. But it is worthwhile to note Manipulator is doing some heavy lifting in that video if im remembering it right.

Perhaps this comes down to application as well. If OP is live performing like infected mushroom, by all means these tools are well suited. But if you aren't performing live it's a different story.

Polyverse will usually have some generous discounts around black Friday and holiday season IIRC.

Dirtgrain
KVRist
180 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Re: Opinions - Polyverse I Wish

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:56 pm

I got I Wish in a package, IIRC, but I have not taken the time to figure out how it works. I guess I better give it a go.

User avatar
chai_all_day_long
KVRer
23 posts since 27 Jan, 2019 from Inland Empire (So-Cal)

Re: Opinions - Polyverse I Wish

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:20 pm

Thanks for the opinions so far I have Komplete 12 Standard and have barely touched Form but I'm definitely going to spend more time on it maybe see if I can mix it up with ShaperBox a little. That is too funny Dirt, I can totally relate (too many plugins that I need to actually spend time more time going over the manual on), and on the talent part, yeah for reals everytime I see the demos like above, I'm looking oh that is sooo cool and then I try and it's like, oh it sounds like a toy with the batteries running low.

Dirtgrain
KVRist
180 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Re: Opinions - Polyverse I Wish

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:27 pm

chai_all_day_long wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:20 pm
. . . oh it sounds like a toy with the batteries running low.
That's so me with Unfiltered Audio stuff, Glitchmachines, granular delays . . . the list goes on :hihi: But you know what? There is strength in numbers. KVRAudio is really at its core a support group. And once in a while, you discover a great combination of tweaks, settings, combinations. Rock on.

User avatar
inkwarp
KVRian
752 posts since 16 Jan, 2012 from UK

Re: Opinions - Polyverse I Wish

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 pm

this does absolutely nothing for me.
literally. there also a tonne of things that do work that can do whatever this is supposed to do and way more...

fairlyclose
KVRist
34 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Re: Opinions - Polyverse I Wish

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:20 am

inkwarp wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 pm
this does absolutely nothing for me.
literally. there also a tonne of things that do work that can do whatever this is supposed to do and way more...
which other stuff do you recommend. I don't mind IWish, it automates really well and I like that it is an effect rather than an instrument. I think it is overpriced though. I dont think Form allows for streaming a file through it, more takes a smaple fragment. But maybe I misunderstand Form

joyneski
KVRer
2 posts since 23 Jun, 2016

Re: Opinions - Polyverse I Wish

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:31 am

Tl;dr version: I love it but I'm into niche weird ambient stuff.
Longer version: It's my go-to when I'm trying to wring musical tones out of my field recordings and other methods aren't working. It isn't always easy to get something subtle (its default sound is usually that formanty/nasal sine-wavey whine), but [triggering it on a sweet spot of the audio file] + [formant modulation] + [wet/dry mix modulation] + [shove through effects chain] can = [cool stuff].
I've demoed Form and there's definitely some similarity in what they produce, but Form has some very different modulation capabilities that tbh I haven't worked out any use for (yet).

User avatar
inkwarp
KVRian
752 posts since 16 Jan, 2012 from UK

Re: Opinions - Polyverse I Wish

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:48 am

fairlyclose wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:20 am
inkwarp wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 pm
this does absolutely nothing for me.
literally. there also a tonne of things that do work that can do whatever this is supposed to do and way more...
which other stuff do you recommend. I don't mind IWish, it automates really well and I like that it is an effect rather than an instrument. I think it is overpriced though. I dont think Form allows for streaming a file through it, more takes a smaple fragment. But maybe I misunderstand Form
You could look at Loomer cumulus. ( it's free)
otherwise pay for something like Granite.. there are tonnes of plugins. some instruments can do it very well to, esp. Camel Alchemy. Linplug CrX4...
I must say though, Form is a beauty, i use it loads. never tire of it : )

fairlyclose
KVRist
34 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Re: Opinions - Polyverse I Wish

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:56 am

inkwarp wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:48 am
fairlyclose wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:20 am
inkwarp wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 pm
this does absolutely nothing for me.
literally. there also a tonne of things that do work that can do whatever this is supposed to do and way more...
which other stuff do you recommend. I don't mind IWish, it automates really well and I like that it is an effect rather than an instrument. I think it is overpriced though. I dont think Form allows for streaming a file through it, more takes a smaple fragment. But maybe I misunderstand Form
You could look at Loomer cumulus. ( it's free)
otherwise pay for something like Granite.. there are tonnes of plugins. some instruments can do it very well to, esp. Camel Alchemy. Linplug CrX4...
I must say though, Form is a beauty, i use it loads. never tire of it : )
Cumulus is quite different, a granular synth type of thing . Similar for Granite too maybe I Wish plays pitched loops sampled as a continuous file feeds through it. Form cant do that, nor i think can cumulus

User avatar
inkwarp
KVRian
752 posts since 16 Jan, 2012 from UK

Re: Opinions - Polyverse I Wish

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:46 am

fair enough.
i must be doing something wrong because i played about with the iWish plugin for half an hour or so earlier and got absolutely nothing out of it. so i guess i don't undertstand it anyway...

User avatar
qoyl
KVRist
207 posts since 17 Jul, 2015

Re: Opinions - Polyverse I Wish

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:46 pm

inkwarp wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:46 am
fair enough.
i must be doing something wrong because i played about with the iWish plugin for half an hour or so earlier and got absolutely nothing out of it. so i guess i don't undertstand it anyway...
It takes some experimentation for sure. Did you not even get it to trigger resynthesized audio via MIDI at least? If so what DAW are you using? I do recall infected mushroom at one point saying a v2 would be in the works down the road at some point since v1 wasn't so easy for people to wrap their head around.

I didn't mean to diss it earlier by recommending Form, it's just maybe the sounds I get out of it are something you can also get from Form as well, and maybe easier in some casees. I have also had good luck triggering some cool resynthesized vocals though which isn't usually what I do with it.

One of my favorite parts of the plugin is the experimentation aspect. Recently I will just feed Test Tones (aka constant sine waves) into iWish and use Bitwig modulators to play with Formant. It's simple and different from playing around with a traditional synthesizer at least, and in that regard switching things up is always good for inspiration.

Here's an example of a recent submission I did for a Polyverse mixtape that only used test tones -> iWish (so everything except the drums and the vocal noise at the beginning which is processed Manipulator on white noise): https://dailypatcher.bandcamp.com/track ... submission

Combining iWish and Manipulator also makes for cool results. This song again uses only iWish for the synthesizer bits, with iWish -> Manipulator for vocal resynthesis: https://dailypatcher.bandcamp.com/track/8-wishes

I have some older stuff when I was using iWish heavily in the past that doesn't sound great (not like my current stuff sounds much better lets be honest), but maybe it's a good sample of what the plugin can do for certain sounds:

Farty Bassy Alien Noises: https://soundcloud.com/dailypatcher/iwishv3
Expressive iWish Synths: https://soundcloud.com/dailypatcher/jun ... ompetition
iWish on arp sounds: https://soundcloud.com/dailypatcher/ene ... ish-plugin

Return to “Effects”