Analog compressor emulations. What’s your verdict?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If money is an object: Klanghelm
If money is no object: still Klanghelm because they really hold their own with some of the big brands out there.

Most of the big brands are good too.. at least as good as it gets, just more expensive.. and they'll maybe emulate some specific unit you like the sound of. I mean, is there really anyone selling utter trash for more than 25-30 dollar? Usually if there's something to complain, it's about price or user policy or things like that.

Personally I'm not that into having a million different character compressors. It just gets annoying swapping them out all the time.. ooh is this better? Maybe that? The way I work with them, I tend to end up with way too much compression to get the coloration I want, so I use saturators more and leave the compressor to just compress.

Dasheesh wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:00 pm analog obsession has been around for years now. i own most of the collection. it sounds great. he's Turkish, so he does things differently. ask mr. B from synth master. he doesn't come around here a lot because he doesn't want to deal with the hog wash from 20 yr old edm kids. i don't blame
him. biggest issue with AO is that he will do updates and you don't know it's been updated recently, so every once in a while you have to go download everything and reinstall everything on your own to get updates.

look, software and hardware are completely different animals. you deal with them differently. in hardware every unit can sound slightly different, in software every VERSION of a unit will behave slightly different. you find ones you like using and you use it. if you know what sounds good it doesn't matter. i own like 10-12 different compressors i use for different situations. depends on the dynamics i want. i do own several different versions of the same types on units, they all sound and behave different, and i have them spread out over several different computers.
Yeah, I admit I’m a sort of weird person in this way. I mean, I completely understand compressors and how to operate them. I own a handful of software versions, but I admit that I just kind of randomly pick one that has the features I need and work with it until it sounds right to me. I don’t really think about the character of it. Not like I think about the character of an instrument or even a mic. That I’m keenly aware of.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

lwj wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 pm...so I use saturators more and leave the compressor to just compress.
I’ve never thought of it in this way, but that’s basically exactly how I’ve always worked.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

One more for consideration, McDSP 6050/6060 at around 10 compressor emulations. They are not meant to be fully faithful, so no made up "vintage" noises and frequency hum and odd irregularities digitally slapped on top. Instead it's just clear algorithms to match the character of the compressors inspiring the thing but with some accommodations to fit for purpose (use it in a DAW).

I prefer it like that. For instance, the response of the McDSP 670 is generally faster, because the original was tweaked for like whale calls? - the release goes to 25 seconds. So McDSP kept the character but moved the speeds to something that makes more sense today. I also prefer the McDSP 670 because I don't have $35k lying around for hardware that's falling apart.

TrackComp is on my list, for the next time I need to further deepen my comp redundancy. Also Klanghelm.

Software compressors are really amazing and wonderful and I think we sometimes forget how lucky we are to have so much power and convenience always at reach. Are hardware compressors better? Probably. But what good is better than perfectly great and usable and easy and lacking nothing of significance? I guess what I am saying is maybe there is a better sunset on some other planet but I don't like wearing a spacesuit.

Anyway I really love using compressors for tone shaping so I like to use a multitude of them but if I had to choose one that is versatile, has a good workflow, and nails both modern and vintage sounds, I would choose Uhe's Presswerk.

I’m a compressor nut and my fave are, by a long shot, Vertigo VSC-3 (not the PA version), DMG Audio TrackComp and Goodhertz comps.
Was also impressed by DDMF MDE and Kush most recent one.
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Dasheesh wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:00 pm analog obsession has been around for years now. i own most of the collection. it sounds great. he's Turkish, so he does things differently. ask mr. B from synth master. he doesn't come around here a lot because he doesn't want to deal with the hog wash from 20 yr old edm kids. i don't blame
him. biggest issue with AO is that he will do updates and you don't know it's been updated recently, so every once in a while you have to go download everything and reinstall everything on your own to get updates.

look, software and hardware are completely different animals. you deal with them differently. in hardware every unit can sound slightly different, in software every VERSION of a unit will behave slightly different. you find ones you like using and you use it. if you know what sounds good it doesn't matter. i own like 10-12 different compressors i use for different situations. depends on the dynamics i want. i do own several different versions of the same types on units, they all sound and behave different, and i have them spread out over several different computers.
Which AO plugins are you liking Dasheesh?

Well , i like Analog Obsession plugin , last version seem good and stable with a good gui .VariMoon is my prefered.
Last edited by garfield78 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Using Kush atm and very much enjoying them...UBK-1, Deflector and Novatron in particular. They aren't really emulations as much as plugins that appear to attempt to keep the analog vibe and interaction alive. They are a lot of fun.
I have Compassion which I'm sure I've only touched 1/10 of its capabilities. Would be interested to hear how it compares to Trackcomp with its 'Mods'.

I would however be very cautious with all the intense marketing around this stuff.

I love the Airwindows compressors.

Buttercomp2, Logical4 and Pyewacket get a lot of use.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:43 pm
telecharge wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 pmSince it's a synth you're looking to augment, you might want to consider tube/tape saturation, as well.
I do have Decapitator and a few others... Saturn, Redoptor, etc. I do feel like when you get to a certain level of drive that an actual analog device, even a cheaper one like my Analog Heat, sounds a bit better. I’m wondering if I’d experience the same thing in a compressor emulation.
Best digital comps for me are from Softube, even the NI ones with Softube (VariComp, 1176, la2a)

I am sure you will love analog compressors and they certainly give you much more quality. Of course a good one, not like 200$.

I do have Analog Heat too, and I don't find it "cheap" at all. Of course it works better than plugins.

On the other hand Klanghelm DC8C3 and Track Comp are amazing too! Very analog like. And also you have to consider the analog cons, to get a highly featured compressopr you need a lot of money, and always you need to record ( export realtime) etc

The two analog style compressors I use regularly are Kush Novatron and Kush AR-1. I sometimes use bx_townhouse or PSP Fetpressor. Otherwise I stick with Pro-C2. I've retired MJUC as it doesn't hold up in comparison anymore to my ears - still amazing for the price, though.

I would add VSC-3... But it's way to $$$ for what you get (has a few usability issues, too, which it should not for the price).

Nomad Factory has some good plugins. They don't use a lot of CPU either. Also PSP (on par w/ Nomad Factory IMO), Soundtoys Decapitator, Waves, and Camel Crusher (way over the top)

What about these?

https://www.arturia.com/products/softwa ... e/overview

Second the Klanghelm, BTW. And U-He Presswerk. Although not an "emulation" of anything, it has that "analog" touch, and can replicate the sound. Definitely.
Fernando (FMR)

Presswerk's my go-to. Doesn't emulate anything specifically but can be gentle like an opto and slam like a 1776. Kinda need to know how compressors work to best leverage it (well that's true for any compressor TBH), though there are UI "special views" and presets for specific styles and workflows, and it's got a huge sweet spot.

Return to “Effects”