Studio monitors much better after using balanced cables, but I still have this one newb question...?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got a pair of decent studio monitors ($300).

When I first tried them I was horrified because there was a ton of noise, crackles , hiss, hum etc.
Then I realised that I was using unbalanced (RCA).
Borrowed a Focusrite with balanced TRS->XLR cables and result was much, much better.

From my seat I can't hear any background noise.
But when I get up to the monitor and put my ear close (when there's no sounds playing), I do still hear a background hiss (higher frequency hiss, not a hum). And this hiss does not increase in volume as I turn the speaker knob at the back.

How much noise can I expect - I can't expect total silence right - there will always be some noise there?

(Current sound card = Beringher UM2, going to buy Audient id14 probably)
Last edited by MasterTuner on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

Yes, there will always be some sort of hiss/noise that isn't from interference (that's what balanced cables try to address) and you aren't meant to listen from that distance. Remember, there is an electrical signal being amplified. There will be varying levels of noise, but without a SPL meter and numbers there's no point in talking about specifics. If you can't hear it from a proper distance and with a proper volume level then it's fine.

on my adam T7V, I'm sitting about 3 feet away, if I move in 1ft closer I can start to hear it faintly.
they say class-D amps are a bit noisier than average indeed.
this is not something you have to worry about in operation.

As long as that hiss doesn't take over your music, it doesn't matter.

Some people even add noise/hiss with plugins :lol:

Yeah, it's normal. Unfortunately, my monitor have pretty loud hiss as well (i think they have class D amp). I don't hear it while making music, though.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”