Neutron 3 Stress test results on my computer - what do you think ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am really on the fence about buying N3. I have a pretty good upgrade path price, but was worried about the CPU efficiency.
I did a test in my DAW to see just how much it was using. I recorded the maximum peak of CPU usage with Neutron added to every track (26 tracks), and with no Neutron on any track.

(For each track, Neutron was "doing something", not static. It was a downward dynamic EQ pulse, so it wasn't just sitting there.)
What do you think of the results - Acceptable, poor, good ?

With no Neutron (28% peak CPU, you can see the "average" in the graph at the top):

With Neutron added to every track (41% peak CPU, you can see the "average" in the graph at the top):
So basically Neutron is adding ~11% extra CPU, over 28 instances.
Thats about 0.4% CPU per track.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

its on reaper that's why try to do the test on pro tools :) ……. it will be 100% ………..

Izotope stuff eats up the FLS slots which is an issue if you are still on Windows 7 or not running the later Windows 10 builds.
Last edited by Scotty on Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seems like a good performance, but every DAW handles plugins differently. Also, you did not use cpu-taxing intelligent / automatic functions? Would like to see this test in other DAWs aswell.

Sculptor is much more CPU intensive.

Yeah these metrics aren’t that useful without a lot more info. Your system specs for one.

Performance depends on which modules you’re using and then probably even settings in them.

This just shows that the eq module is fairly efficient.

Return to “Effects”