I got through this w/o my head exploding

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmV3Bf2veAg

I can't play this or read it but I thought it was really interesting. Not really something Drake would do :hihi:

I'd be surprised to learn that Drake could read anything, let alone music... :hihi:

I'm aware of the piece and I think I've seen the longer version of Terry Bozzio talking about it. I do read music (although not to the extent that can sight read every piece, and I'm much better at reading for flute than I am something like piano), but this is way beyond something that most people could pick up first run through. For a start, it's near impossible to count those tuplets at a glance, and secondly, the nesting makes the counting even more difficult.

One thing I totally agree with is the "putting in the work" statement - it's possible for anyone to get this piece if they work on it hard enough. Some people might get it relatively quickly, and as the guy says, there might still be a long period of working to get it just that little bit better, which might vary from days to weeks or months. It makes me think that I don't challenge myself enough, but on the other hand, sometimes I just like to play something that's really simple.

Terry Bozzio is a great drummer though, so I think Zappa probably had confidence in him that he would get it.

Terry Bozzio is my favorite all time drummer, and it's a LONG list ;)

@Drake comment, :hihi:

I know someone who can do that. At 15, he could with one hand play what most drummers require both for. We went to high school together, and I played a few basement jams with him. He went on to be pro for the rest of his life. He has a pile of album credits.

Having said that, this kinda thing is really not my thing.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”