Aparillo vs. BioTek2

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Which one's better for cinematic atmospheres and general weirdness for the background of the track (general electronic music). Both are currently -50%, which still makes the latter 2x more expensive, but still affordable.

And yes - I'll try the demos, obviously. But am looking for personal experience of people who use(d) them :)

https://sugar-bytes.de/en/aparillo

https://www.tracktion.com/products/biotek
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

The grid ? :)
Best
YY

I did not particularly like Aparillo. Take away FX and I did not find the sound appealing. It is unusual so it was interesting to explore a bit, but I didn't end up finding it a tool I wanted to work with so didn't buy it.

I have BioTek 2 and it is quite powerful, but I don't actually use it much since my initial period of learning it. I have enough other tools I like better and which I prefer the sound quality that it sits unused.

So my recommendation is neither.

What other synths do you already have?

I'd say that Aparillo is more 'cinematic' out of the box. The FX are an integral part of the sounds. Some synths are like that, like MSoundFactory for instance, by design. In such cases it's better to grok the synth together with the FX.

I started with Biotek in its first version, whose UI I liked quite a lot. I find that Biotek2 has removed attractiveness from the UI, but that's a non-audio part. Biotek does not rely on FX inasmuch the effects are there in a standard way while sound design is the largest part of it, including samples in version 2.

Biotek (1 and 2) is more of a traditional synth whereas Aparillo, like all other Sugar Bytes products, are some form of artistic expression by themselves, by the way they are designed. The plugin itself is some kind of 'art' and IMHO should be treated as such, eg. not trying to put a traditional frame on it to see if it fits.

I reach for Biotek as I would for another synth, taking into account its range of expression and sound modification capabilities. Aparillo pops up when tracks are largely built and some nifty sound atmosphere here and there would be needed, mainly of the mysterious type, dark, perhaps somber. In leads it can be hauntingly eerie. Aparillo's Orbit also adds to the whole thing by being able to change textures graphically between programmable modules, and to record such 'travels., which I find adds a lot to its cinematic expression. Something similar is also found with Biotek although on the technical side, the 'travel' in Aparillo is between more individual sound design elements whereas Biotek is more global, if that actually make sense.

Cheers.

As an aside, I would have liked to mention a track - or even a sketch that I could upload - I made that has some of these synths, but it takes a lot of time to find such. Which reminds me of what I started some time ago, a script that extracts plugin information from Bitwig sessions. I posted the beginning two lines here some time ago. With that running on all Bitwig session it would create a 'database/list' of plugins used per Bitwig session. So that for instance, here I could simply search this list and find the sessions in which I used Aparillo and/or Biotek for instance. Ah well.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:28 pmWhat other synths do you already have?
Way too many. Just trying to scratch that "what synth to get next" itch ;) :D
mevla wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:37 pmI reach for Biotek as I would for another synth, taking into account its range of expression and sound modification capabilities. Aparillo pops up when tracks are largely built and some nifty sound atmosphere here and there would be needed, mainly of the mysterious type, dark, perhaps somber. In leads it can be hauntingly eerie. Aparillo's Orbit also adds to the whole thing by being able to change textures graphically between programmable modules, and to record such 'travels., which I find adds a lot to its cinematic expression. Something similar is also found with Biotek although on the technical side, the 'travel' in Aparillo is between more individual sound design elements whereas Biotek is more global, if that actually make sense.
This is super helpful! Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for! Thanks! :hug:
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:44 am
Ahhh... in that case carry on... :hihi: :lol: :hihi:

pdxindy wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:23 am
antic604 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:44 am
Ahhh... in that case carry on... :hihi: :lol: :hihi:
Yeah, then you can’t avoid to get both - you can write a song about GAS if you need an argument...

I got Biotek 1, and have Aparillo on the iPad. Lets see if I can resist getting the latter..., Aparillo at least looks interesting and very different than all those bread and butter synths, but I decided not to get anything without MPE support...

Whywhy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:32 pm The grid ? :)
Heh, I was wondering why you repied with "The Grid" and only now noticed I posted it here and not in the general Instrumens forum :D :roll:
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Bitwig”