Pop Rock tune

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
seangm
KVRist
115 posts since 7 Dec, 2017

Post Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:06 am

Hi,

Just a straight up pop rock tune I'm working on, would love any feedback/criticism. I know the mixing needs a lot of work, would love to hear any of your thoughts.

https://soundcloud.com/user-816600947/pop-rocks

Thanks.

sjm
KVRAF
1910 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Re: Pop Rock tune

Post Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:26 am

I can hear how it could be a pop rock song, but right now, it's pure pop IMO. This is because the guitars are essentially functioning as background pads, whereas in rock you'd expect them to be much more central to the sound and driving the track. You'd expect them to be properly defined instruments rather than background filler. The song is very much dominated by a synth feel instead.

Tbh, I'm also not a fan of the rhythm guitar sound itself, it's very washy and fizzy from what I hear. If this were my track (and I do like some pop rock), I'd look to move the focus away from the synths and to the rhythm guitars, getting an actual rock feel going. Or, ditch the "rock" idea, and go full on pop, because you're practically there already ;)

The other thing that jumped out at me is that when the two vocals are singing different phrases, they're very much getting in each other's way.

There's a decent track in here, but I think it still needs some work to, erm, make it work :)
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/

wagtunes
KVRAF
16937 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:37 am

I won't comment on the mix as it's obviously not mixed yet.

I agree with the above poster. More pop, little rock, if at all.

There is definitely a decent song here but it needs a lot of work.

aaron aardvark
KVRAF
1592 posts since 22 Jan, 2011 from near Los Angeles

Post Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:43 pm

seangm,
Thank you for the review! Mix doesn't sound that bad too me, gives it a vintage feel, which is common nowadays; though it could be better. Now I'm curious if all of the vocals are female, or some falsetto male vocals? Some very good singing in there regardless. I don't care if you call this song pop or pop rock (though I think it is more pop). The 'Pop Rocks' song title to me is a play on words since it could be candy; or maybe it is just candy period. I like that the song is upbeat. The song itself is pleasant. The vocal style seems somewhat 60's to me; which is fine by me. With some polish, I wouldn't be shocked to hear this on the radio.

seangm
KVRist

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:15 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback, you're right the mix is a mess. My mixing skills frankly suck at this point so that is something I'll need to work on. sjm and Wagtunes I think you're right it probably has a lot more pop elements than rock, I called it pop-rock because of the style of the drums and the distorted guitars, but definitely more pop with all the keyboard stuff going on (I've been told the keys sound cheezy so I might redo them). Mr. Aardvark I appreciate feedback as well about the 60's time period sound, I hadn't thought of it that way but I can see that and it makes me think I might want to go even more in that direction with the sound...To answer you question about the vocals, they're all from our singer Farrin Evers, so only female vocals on the track.

Once again I appreciate the useful feedback from everyone.
Last edited by seangm on Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

seangm
KVRist

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:30 am

Sorry double post

Frantz
KVRAF
5166 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:09 pm

There is a good song buried somewhere in that lousy mix. Definitely some catchy ideas and interesting lyrics.

Please get some help with the mixing. This could be 10x better with a good mix.

(To be honest, I am not totally sold on the singer as she mostly talks and seems to have a limited vocal range.)

Return to “Music Cafe”