Studio monitors for small bedroom for EDM

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just learn one pair...

Lovign these HS7's :-)

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:32 pm
mgw38 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:23 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:25 pm I know most people give advice with the best of intentions to help, but seriously, a £1000 pair of speakers in this room??? :o
I think a pair of I-Louds would be more than sufficient.
Definitely iLoud MTMs and a pair of high end headphones. Given the size of the room you might even want to stay away from open back headphones and go for good closed ones instead. Open back headphones can be problematic in smaller untreated rooms.
Thanks and yes iLoud MTM would be a good fit here and even beyond when a better space is found. Mixing with these in that small space at moderate levels sounds like iLoud MTM's opportunity to shine.
Well I have been loving my HS7's and the quality of my production has improved immensely, however, I was still unhappy with the bass representation that was washing past me and making critical mastering decisions very difficult, requiring the obligatory burn to CD and blast in the car translation comparisons.

However, going through 20 CD's a track trying to tweak precisely and layer properly was getting expensive and a bit of a drag, especially in these cold, dark winter months, with no engine running.

I was always going to get a second pair of speakers, the Yammy's were only ever the interim upgrade, as bang for bucks, in the right environment, they are wonderful monitors and I knew my room was too small for them to properly shine, probably needing a sub-woofer in addition to help with the low end, as plenty had told me, for good reason!

So I have been keeping an eye on deals ever since 'Black Friday' and have been seriously considering getting the Focal Shape 50's, as I love the way they sound plus they have those special bass ports for small rooms.

However, while looking, I came across a deal on Amazon for iLoud MTM's at a really good price (less than £500 the pair plus free next day prime delivery), so I watched a few more videos, read some more reviews, and decided to bite the bullet, as I thought after all I might still get the Focal Shape 50's anyway, as my Mackie Big Knob audio controller supports up to three monitor pair outputs.

Well holy crap Batman, I'm not sure I'm going to bother with the Focal Shape's anymore and I wasn't expecting that.

These iLoud MTM speakers are amazing, absolutely love em!

The bass extension is phenomenal for such small speakers and the clarity plus tonal balance when calibrated has blown me away!

OK, they haven't been broken in yet, nor have I done any mastering / production with them, so will still have to see how they translate but if you have a shoe box for a music room / studio like me, I cannot recommend these iLoud MTM speakers highly enough 😍👍

Even when I put my audio interface into 'Dim' mode, the warmth and body of the sound produced is still crystal clear and well balanced.

As they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I reserve final judgement till I've been round the block with them a few times, but I like what I hear so far and I can honestly say that the hype surrounding these speakers is well and truly justified!

Great job IK Multimedia :tu:

Nothing can beat these in ratio price-quality:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/fluid_audio_fx80.htm

Dunno how you worked that out when the HS7's are far, far cheaper, you are also linking an 8" speaker, the HS7's are 6 1/2" , I'm not comparing 8" monitors, this is about smaller speakers for a small room :-)

I did however prefered the sound from the HS7's compared to the HS8's when auditioning them in the shop's acoustic treated demo room.

I am intrigued by the coaxial design, as I've not been able to hear any to see how they differ and I was considering the Presonus Sceptre S6 but was put off by the price and frequency range being only 52hz.

At least I can now A/B split test without buring discs and trapsing to the car so often! :tu:

1DMF wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:13 am Dunno how you worked that out when the HS7's are far, far cheaper, you are also linking an 8" speaker, the HS7's are 6 1/2" , I'm not comparing 8" monitors, this is about smaller speakers for a small room :-)

I did however prefered the sound from the HS7's compared to the HS8's when auditioning them in the shop's acoustic treated demo room.

I am intrigued by the coaxial design, as I've not been able to hear any to see how they differ and I was considering the Presonus Sceptre S6 but was put off by the price and frequency range being only 52hz.

At least I can now A/B split test without buring discs and trapsing to the car so often! :tu:
Hiya mr Big Knob... :wink:

I see you're in the UK, where did you demo speakers... Was it Andersons?

Or maybe ermmm the one in Southampton Bournmouth?

Why thank you, so nice of you to notice :hihi:

It was GAK in Brighton, I live on the south coast :tu:

I've done a little video of me setting them up and doing a little demo. The audio isn't great, but it clearly shows the difference between the HS7's and MTM's and how it has drastically improved my ability to hear what I'm doing in a bass hole shoe box studio.

https://youtu.be/xvhP6DFMzmE

1DMF wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:13 am I am intrigued by the coaxial design, as I've not been able to hear any to see how they differ and I was considering the Presonus Sceptre S6 but was put off by the price and frequency range being only 52hz.

The Sceptre S6 is 52Hz at -3dB. I would guess the HS7 is around 54Hz at -3dB.

Yamaha's measurements are at -10dB which is the somewhat misleading level most monitor manufacturers list on websites without specifying. At -10dB the HS7 is at 43Hz, and Sceptre S6 is 42Hz.

I only know this because I am considering buying both of them right now! Haha.

Anyone compared the iLoud MTM with the K&H 120A directly ?
What was your impression ? please
Studio One, Logic
macOS
–– -
http://ansolas.de

imo, HS7

https://www.thomann.de/se/m_audio_bx8_d ... X0QAvD_BwE
these sound really nice. maybe "too nice" though.. (for monitoring that is) but youd get used to them very quickly, they are very pleasant, id say like a budget top end genelec sound. but im not sure id pick them over hs7. it kinda depends. do you want a nice and sweet sound, or do you want a more harsh but a bit more detailed sound.
Id probably pick the Behringer B2031a or one of those models over the both of them
edit; these models also exist in 5 inch variants
Last edited by astralprojection on Sat May 28, 2022 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Passing Bye wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:54 pm Just learn one pair...
I frankly agree with that. I was never very thrilled about my monitors, but, I don't think buying another pair will change anything, so I rather get used to them. Still doing that though, after years. :lol:

Regarding those big monitors which are recommended here (7 to 8 inch): I wouldn't use such a size in a "small bedroom". It's really counterproductive, when those bass waves stack up, and you get massive resonances in the bass region. Actually, it's the most horrible thing I encounter with room acoustics.

Do yourself a favour, and dont't buy such big monitors for a small room. It really sucks, big time.

chk071 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:05 am Regarding those big monitors which are recommended here (7 to 8 inch): I wouldn't use such a size in a "small bedroom". It's really counterproductive, when those bass waves stack up, and you get massive resonances in the bass region. Actually, it's the most horrible thing I encounter with room acoustics.

Do yourself a favour, and dont't buy such big monitors for a small room. It really sucks, big time.
This is a common misconception.
Standing waves exist regardless of how big the speaker is.
How bad the standing waves are is affected by:
- Low frequency amplitude (if you have absorption), you control that with level, regardless of speaker size
- Low frequency extension - which can be as low as 30Hz for even small speakers at lower SPL. My custom made 6.5" extend to 30Hz. Which you can control by a simple hipass filter.

there's no direct correlation between speaker size and standing waves.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”