Studio monitors for small bedroom for EDM

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
1DMF
KVRist
81 posts since 16 Aug, 2012 from England

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:09 am

Hi Guys,

I've been doing a lot of research and reading reviews and think I've narrowed down my choices, but would like some input as to things I might not have considered or if I've lost the plot.

My room is small, like 8.5' x 6' and I sit the 6' way round with my speakers in my face and a wall a foot behind me.

Therefore, I have to rule out rear ported speakers such as JBL305 or Yamaha HS7

The Equator Audio D5 look interesting but i can't find them for sale in the UK.

So I was thinking Adam A7X or Presonus, either the Eris E66, Spectre S6 or R65

However, I've read many complain of an amp buzz from the Presonus, which is a little off putting.

I make EDM (House / Trance / Techno / Hardcore) and want a flat response to ensure it translates well once mixed down and no bass colouring with good response.

I've seen many fellow bedroom artists with KRK but most reviews I've read say don't touch Rokits plus they have an unwanted bass boost, so is a KRK V6S4 a posibilty? They also come in white (ha ha , yes I know, not a reason to buy a speaker!)

I know I need to go listen to them in the end, but not one shop has them all and there are few and far between shops to visit near me, so getting the list narrowed as much as possible before venturing out to test drive them would be very handy.

Thanks,
Craig.

Eclectus
KVRist
220 posts since 1 Dec, 2013 from Belgium

Re: Studio monitors for small bedroom for EDM

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:22 am

No bass colouring with good response? Gonna need a well treated room for that. Because as long as you don't put up a lot of bass traps, bass in your room is never gonna be reliable.

Unless you are prepared to treat your room, your choice of monitors won't really matter. They will only sound as good as your room will allow them to be. So just buy something that you like, and that will inspire you to have a lot of fun in producing and mixing. This is why you sometimes see KRK in hit producers studio's: they love the sound of their KRK's, and it moves them to create a smashing track. Should you also be so inspired that you can write a hit, then you could upgrade the room and move on to better speakers.

Until then, why not look into a pair of headphones? They don't need a good sounding room, and their bass response can be utterly amazing. (Look into the Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro 80 ohm. Great for EDM. And everything else.)

himalaya
KVRAF
5072 posts since 23 Mar, 2006 from pendeLondonmonium

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:38 am

Adam A7X are definitely a great option. I use them all the time in one studio.
They are very revealing. The mids are great, and I totally trust them. The bass is also extended and punchy. And of course, the top end is crystal clear. Not harsh, not piercing, just airy, clear, and you can hear every detail. Love those ribbons. They really show how many badly mixed, bedroom produced tracks are out there....A very good monitor.

Otherwise, from experience, I also liked Dynaudio BM5 when I tried them. At the time I bought the Adam A7 for my home studio (not the 'X') but only because I need a monitor that can cover many genres, from electronic to acoustic, whereas I felt the BM5s were more suited to dance/electronic music. Don't ask me why, just a non-scientific feeling. :)
The BM5s sound very lush, deep, with a very smooth top end. Another great monitor.

A colleague of mine uses Focal Alphas for EDM to great effect (can't remember which Alphas).

You should really try and audition some monitor yourself. Monitor choice can be so personal. And of course, look at your room treatment if you haven't already.

By the way, I'd never use headphones (as a sole means of monitoring) to mix EDM. Mixing bass on headphones can be very misleading. This takes some experience to do right.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design

1DMF
KVRist

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:14 am

Thanks for the replies, I do a have a half decent pair of headphones 'audio technica' , but they won't cut it as the only thing to mix/master with.

I know I am in a bass hole, and I need to treat the room for sure, but I want to get a decent set of monitors I can trust that don't fatigue my ears, which seems to be an issue with the Yammys and being rear ported, it rules them out anyway.

I use Presonus Studio One as my DAW, so will be going to GAK to audition a few speakers, but they don't have all the ones I'd like to listen to.

I wasn't planing on spending quite so much on my near field monitors, but I also know the right investment will be worth the extra £££.

Anything has to be an improvement on my current set up using VideoLogic Sirocco Pro with 8" sub-woofer for the last 15 years!

Passing Bye
KVRian
818 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:04 am

Spectre all the way!
Googly Smythe wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:39 am
Somedays it seems like we're not allowed to dislike anything.

ramseysounds
KVRist
465 posts since 9 Jul, 2014 from UK

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:39 pm

8.5’ x 6’ 😳 can you even mix in a room so small on speakers? Id personally look at using a larger room (prob not possible?) or some serious room treatment
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Spin Boyz
KVRist
434 posts since 1 Jul, 2007

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:01 pm

Your mixes will still suffer even if you had the budget for ATCs. For mixing, you'd be better off with headphones and waves ARS3. I have some Presonus E8s collecting dust and a room full bass traps.
Last edited by Spin Boyz on Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
24520 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:05 pm

I agree that mixing in a room that small will be challenging. If I had to I'd go for these tiny Genelec G One's, and mix at low volume.
https://www.cnet.com/news/genelec-tiny- ... m-finland/

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
3081 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:14 pm

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:05 pm
I agree that mixing in a room that small will be challenging. If I had to I'd go for these tiny Genelec G One's, and mix at low volume.
https://www.cnet.com/news/genelec-tiny- ... m-finland/
You could market your mix as “mixed inside the speaker”...

As long as the Brexit isn’t done, you can order 2 or 3 pairs online and send back the two you like less. I think Thomann has no problem with it, even if you tell them you are going to send back two of them. Ordering speakers is like ordering shoes nowadays...

1DMF
KVRist

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:55 pm

Passing Bye wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:04 am
Spectre all the way!
yeah they look good, but so does a pair of Eris E66 , I'd go for Adam A77X, but they are out of my price range! 3 way seems to be tipped as a better option!

Yes my room is tiny and I'm lucky the missus even lets me have it as my music room instead of the spare guest bedroom she would prefer it to be. If ever I make a hit record there is a large space in the back garden with "DJ CDC's studio" written all over it, until then, at least I have a place to make music and have fun, so can't complain really.

My music room is adjacent to the bathroom and I have to go stand outside the bathroom to get a feel for the track when I'm half happy with the mix with a decent volume and try to gauge how the walls and the water in my sons bath tub vibrate, then of course the obligatory burn to CD and play in car like 20 times which at least has a bose stereo in it, so brutal with showing bad bass, and I'm still banging my head trying to decide which mixdown I prefer.

I'm currently dreaming the life instead of living the dream, but a nice pair of monitors won't go a miss :-)

Passing Bye
KVRian
818 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:40 am

Just realized your room size is in inches, not meters, well, forget about every speaker from your list, it's not going to work, don't waste your money, get some decent cheaper smaller monitors and great headphones instead.

My smaller monitor on budget recommendation is Fluid Audio F5, quite solid frequency response, enough bass to get feel for it, but not blow you out in that small space and build up like crazy, on lower volumes you can really get away with it, there's no loud hiss, build quality is decent, no bass port rattle, quite affordable.

Plenty of folks rave about iLoud Micro's, have no personal experience with them, so can't vouch for any of it, but worth checking out if hype is deserved, also check out smaller Presonus Eris while you are at it.
Googly Smythe wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:39 am
Somedays it seems like we're not allowed to dislike anything.

Anlon
KVRist
33 posts since 19 May, 2017

Post Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:08 pm

I'm a "shoe box" producer as well and I’ve got the IKM iLoud Micro monitors. https://www.musicmatter.co.uk/ik-multim ... ro-monitor
They’re tiny and don't need a lot of space, because they’re meant to be placed very close to you. They sit on my desk, but you could mount them on a mic stand. Due to their size they’re not like "proper" studio monitors, but they sound amazingly good, considering their size. Also, you can connect them via bluetooth, if you don't have enought space for the cables. For me it was money well spent.

ozonepaul
KVRist
119 posts since 18 Mar, 2007 from London

Post Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:43 am

1DMF wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:09 am
Hi Guys,
...So I was thinking Adam A7X or Presonus, either the Eris E66, Spectre S6 or R65...
...I've seen many fellow bedroom artists with KRK but most reviews I've read say don't touch Rokits plus they have an unwanted bass boost, so is a KRK V6S4 a posibilty? They also come in white (ha ha , yes I know, not a reason to buy a speaker!)
Hi Craig,

I don't have any experience with any Presonus monitors and I've got limited experience with Genelec speakers at this price point (someone mentioned these in the comment section), so I can not help you with those. I know well enough though the Adam A7, the Adam A7X and the A77X, the full KRK VXT line, the full KRK series 4 line (V4S4;V6S4,V8S4), the Equator D5 and D8 monitors to have a reasonably informed opinion on them.
So based on my experiences, here is what I think:

1. When investing in a monitor you need to consider the price/quality (and clearly there is a diminishing return), + the guarantee/company support. Obviously a £3000 Hedd Type20 or Neumann KH310 is much better than the speakers you listed, and obviously the Kii3 or the Dutch & Dutch 8c is even better than those but that is not the question here. The problem is that most probably sooner or later you'll want at least a Neumann KH 310 quality speaker :).

2. Unless you treat your room you're going to have all kinds of problems even with modestly sized speakers. In an untreated 8.5' x 6' room I wouldn't buy anything bigger than a KRK V4S4/Neumann KH80 and I would rather invest in a good quality headphone (eg. used Sennheiser HD800; Audeze LCD 2C; Beyerdynamic DT1990...).

3. Even if you properly treat your room, probably you'll still face some issues so if it's possible try the speakers in your room.

4. I think you could benefit a lot from EQing your room (check out roomeqwizard and sonarworks).

5. For the price the Adam A7X speakers are unquestionably great, 100% you should try them but they're not the ones I would pick. (Even though I've never heard the A5X monitors, perhaps it's also a good idea to compare them to a pair of A7X in your room. You might be surprised to find out that the 5" model suits your room better.)

6. Equator Audio seems to be out of business so that's worrisome regarding support. Both the D5 and the D8 speakers are great and their sound is very similar. Obviously the D8 can pump out way more lows - and potentially create more problems in your room :) -. There were lot of issues with the first production run Equators, so be sure to buy a pair that's not a very early model, go for Mk2 models. Buying a pair used (there is a pair of D8 at the moment on ebay.co.uk for £200 pounds with some minor cosmetic damages) could be a great buy, though a bit risky as far as support + you need to be sure that there are no issues related to the Mk1 models.

7. If I were to buy brand new from the ones you suggested, than I would go for the KRK V6S4 (new it's less than £700 a pair; used they're around £400-550). I think they're phenomenal for the price though it's well possible that they're too big for your room size. For some reason everyone seems to identify KRK with their Rokit range but KRK makes (and always made) great price/quality speakers. (The KRK Expose E8B speakers are some of the best speakers I've ever heard. It's insane that you can buy them used for less than £1000 on ebay - they are as heavy as a planet though -.) I find the sound of these Series 4 KRK speakers great and I prefer them over the Adam A7X.

8. If I were you I would also consider the Dynaudio LYD-5 monitors. While I was on a monitor hunt recently I heard them along with the LYD-7 and the LYD-48, and in the shop the LYD-5 sounded the best. (I have to mention though that in the shop the monitors were not set up properly, I'm pretty sure that in a well treated room the LYD-48 sounds amazing.) Also, being a 5" monitor, the LYD-5's size would probably work really well in your room.

9. Finally, I wouldn't commit to buy anything before listening to some Neumann KH120's in person in your own room. In my opinion as far as price/quality - out of all the speakers I've heard - in the (new/pair) £1000-£1100 price area they're the best for mixing ( the same way as in the £600-£700 area the KRK V6S4 is the best). + Sometimes you can find great deals on KH120s used on ebay, they are sold around £700-ish/pair.

+1.
1DMF wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:55 pm
...yeah they look good, but so does a pair of Eris E66 , I'd go for Adam A77X, but they are out of my price range!
The problem with something like an A77X is not that they are out of your price range, but they are way out of your room size range. You need to forget those. :dog:

I hope I managed to help a bit :phew:

ramseysounds
KVRist
465 posts since 9 Jul, 2014 from UK

Post Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:25 am

I know most people give advice with the best of intentions to help, but seriously, a £1000 pair of speakers in this room??? :o
I think a pair of I-Louds would be more than sufficient.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

toonertik
KVRAF
1664 posts since 15 Feb, 2017 from a worn out vinyl groove

Post Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:11 am

I'd check out the LP6 of these. https://www.kaliaudio.com/lpseries-buyers-guide. They have quiet an extensive setting switches for different speaker positions.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/kali-audio-lp-6

Also... room treatment is essential.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”