I'm too perfectionist and spend 6 months - 1 year in avarage to complete songs. Am I alone? Hey,

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Aloysius
KVRAF
24398 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from the Land of Soy

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:42 pm

:tu:
Hi-de-Hi!

seangm
KVRist
112 posts since 7 Dec, 2017

Re: I'm too perfectionist and spend 6 months - 1 year in avarage to complete songs. Am I alone? Hey,

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:04 pm

I was the same way for a long time and have just started finally speeding things up a bit in the past year or 2. Pretty normal way to start I think.

datroof
KVRist
169 posts since 19 Sep, 2012

Re: I'm too perfectionist and spend 6 months - 1 year in avarage to complete songs. Am I alone? Hey,

Post Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:05 pm

dasen wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:12 am
Hey,

I can create the initial backbone and structure of the song in a few hours but then end up spending 6 months - 1 year on average to complete songs. Fine-tuning, removing, adding parts and tweaking sounds until I'm happy with the result.

I'm a perfectionist. Am I alone? How do I become better at not falling into perfectionism traps and finish songs faster?
Try to pay attention to what things are really taking the most time. Then work on short-cuts, and how to tighten things up - if needed. There's nothing necessarily wrong with being a perfectionist, or taking ages to finish a song (or any other form of art, for that matter). But it is nice to know how to work fast, so you have that option.

Return to “Production Techniques”