APOLLO - BANG

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
MaartenP
KVRist
241 posts since 8 Dec, 2013 from Groningen

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:49 am

Hi there,
it's been a while since the last time i posted something here.
but i've made something new and was curious to know what you guys think of it!
feedback, tips, tricks or whatever are welcome!
https://soundcloud.com/maarten-pool/apollo-bang/s-8Lc4G

wagtunes
KVRAF
16910 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: APOLLO - BANG

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 am

Well, that was....different. :lol:

Wouldn't even know where to start as far as making suggestions because this is way out of my comfort zone. One thing I will say is it wasn't dull, that's for sure.

Not my personal cup of tea but I do recognize all the work that went into it, especially all the automation that went into the mix. Well done.

mindstuff
KVRist
98 posts since 20 Mar, 2019

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:05 pm

Love that snare at about the 2 min mark. To me sounds like you're doing some sort of sidechaining...any hints there.

Benedict
KVRAF
3009 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:56 pm

This takes me back to some of the moments on records like those from Foetus (Jim Thirlwell) where he kinda threw a lot of the expectations over his shoulder.

As a track on an album where most of the other tracks had a good focus I would like this. However, as a single or lead track, I really miss it having a central focus like a lyric or some sort of melodic line that takes it from being a "workout" to a "story".

:-)

Frantz
KVRAF
5164 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Intense and different. Good stuff. :tu:

ecamburn
KVRist
454 posts since 16 Dec, 2003

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:41 pm

Gotta be honest, I didn't listen to the lyrics at all. I I really like the driving beat. The drop @ :35 where the bass kicks in is nice and dramatic. Generally appreciated the production values. Did I mention I like the beat?

MaartenP
KVRist

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:53 am

Woaw thnx for all the responses! good to hear!
i understand that it's far different from basically all the music on this platform, it's nice to see so much respons:)

MaartenP
KVRist

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:55 am

mindstuff wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:05 pm
Love that snare at about the 2 min mark. To me sounds like you're doing some sort of sidechaining...any hints there.
Thnx! I didn't really do nothing special there, the snare is havely compressed what might give it a 'sidechain' feeling, or it might be my lack of mixxing skills what makes it drown in the mix or something:P

MaartenP
KVRist

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:58 am

Benedict wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:56 pm
This takes me back to some of the moments on records like those from Foetus (Jim Thirlwell) where he kinda threw a lot of the expectations over his shoulder.

As a track on an album where most of the other tracks had a good focus I would like this. However, as a single or lead track, I really miss it having a central focus like a lyric or some sort of melodic line that takes it from being a "workout" to a "story".

thnx! i understand what you mean with the 'story' feel. But the thing is,, i'm pretty bad at making melodies and stuff and that's why i basically made a way back to kicks and sounds for the second part but with some melodic influences. its a thing i keep trying to improve but far from 'there';)
thnx for the feedback though!

Benedict
KVRAF
3009 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:21 pm

MaartenP wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:58 am
Benedict wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:56 pm

thnx! i understand what you mean with the 'story' feel. But the thing is,, i'm pretty bad at making melodies and stuff and that's why i basically made a way back to kicks and sounds for the second part but with some melodic influences. its a thing i keep trying to improve but far from 'there';)
thnx for the feedback though!
Melodies are really not as hard as people think. One of the big problems I think people face is that melodic narrative (melodic movement) is not a thing we hear a lot of, let alone well done, seeing EDM, Pop and even Country & Metal have all but removed them in favor of loops that require far less of the listener. My advice would be to train yourself to understand melody, not so much in terms of 4-Part Harmony Theory books but initially via osmosis by listening to music that is pre-1990 as it is more likely to have melody and narrative as it's foremost component.

Initially, if you are not a regular listener, or even worse have fallen for the old music suxx mindset, then you may need to take time to understand the "language". Maybe start with a general Classic Rock station or something like if you don't have anything else. Start to follow the records of the things that catch your ear for their narrative sense (initially you may be drawn only to novelty but if that is Led Zep or Deep Purple then that is not all bad). Once the "rdio" approach starts to make sense then really focus on whole albums as that also gives you the Meta-Story of a record as well as the song itself.

Once you have really started to grok the feel of how melodic & chordal movement feels, it will start to come back out in the choices you make. Especially if you deliberately compose without starting with drums and bass as they just fill all the space that melody needs to grow in.

Always happy to help and I have a lot of Tutorial material on my website and YouTube. This one is a lot of long videos but everything you need is actually in here - altho you may need some mentoring as you go.

MaartenP
KVRist

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:13 pm

sounds interesting! i'll definitely check out your website! and it's not that i cant appreciate old music or something, but it's not really something i'm listening to on a day to day. except for hip hop,, but thats mostly from te 90's;)

sleepcircle
KVRian
691 posts since 28 Nov, 2016

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:25 pm

interesting, and very well made!—although so strong in the treble frequencies that I had difficulty turning it up without it becoming painful.

Now, I do have a pair of headphones which are a few db too loud over 5khz, but also they don't tend to make stuff I listen to especially painful, either. So while your song is probably not as strong in the highs as it sounds to me, it might still be pushing the boundary a bit.

Unaspected
KVRian
924 posts since 4 May, 2012

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:14 pm

Really enjoying your style and sound palette.

I'm not experiencing any issues with the highs. I would suggest that they could be pushed harder - as with your other track - though I would do this with harmonic excitation, rather than EQ. There is some resonant buildup in the muddy area but it isn't too obvious.

Return to “Music Cafe”