How do you approach EQ and compression when recording (not mixing)?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
xandde1
KVRist
86 posts since 12 Nov, 2018

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi! How are you? =)

I was wondering about mixing vs. recording philosophy. While tracking, we often do not have the full context to make relative decisions. So, for the most part of the time we will be EQing and compressing things in solo. On the other hand, during the mixing stage the idea behind EQing and compression would be making everything work together.

How do you approach EQ and compression at the recording stage? What are your goals with each tool?

BertKoor
KVRAF
11237 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Re: How do you approach EQ and compression when recording (not mixing)?

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:58 pm

During recording?? Just don't compress / eq !!

Exactly because you don't have any (or not enough) context.

With recording on tape it might have been necessary, but the dynamic range in digital is more than enough.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
24512 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:37 am

I wouldn't use either while recording.

Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
2606 posts since 17 Jan, 2017 from Planet of cats

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:21 am

I don't eq or compress while recording. I record the track, then add some quick low cut from about 150hz (unless it's a bass track) and a little compression if the dynamics are too wild. Then I leave the tweaking to mixing stage.

perfumer
KVRist
492 posts since 4 Oct, 2018

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:05 am

The sound should be how you want it, what's so difficult about that? Do you have a brain? If you do, then: 1. you should know how to think, especially creative thinking, and 2. you should know what you want and how to achieve it. Needs eq'ing? Then eq it! Doesn't need? Then don't! Some things can not be fixed at a later stage! But basically it's your taste and your decision making processs - the second tries to satisfy the first.

DMG68
KVRist
77 posts since 2 Sep, 2012

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:08 am

I do it at times. I pretty much always use some compression on any vocals I record, which isn't much anymore, and on bass, occasionally on other things as well. I'm comfortable with using a HPF from the mic or mixer going in and some small amounts of eq. You really have to be able to hear that sound and know how you want to adjust it though. I haven't made any decisions that I've regretted, and if I did then I'd just record it over and learn from it. If you aren't comfortable and really don't know the sound you're after and you need to hear everything in context then don't do it. I'm certainly not pre-mixing everything that's externally recorded, just adjusting for what is obvious, nothing really extreme. It's not something that I'd ever suggest anybody 'should' do, it's what works for you with your experience and whether you want to experiment with pre-processing and see how you like it.

Forgotten
KVRAF
3232 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:05 am

I would never apply either while recording.

Unaspected
KVRian
942 posts since 4 May, 2012

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:05 am

I'll cut lows if rumble is an issue - favouring to address this at the mic stage, if possible - but certainly ahead of converters. I'm also thinking about EQ as I select my microphones and place them.

I would be more likely to compress a mono source but I've never compressed stereo source on its way to tape. Sometimes I'll print a compressor if I don't have access to it later - if it's something really nice, like a Neve 2254R. I'm quite comfortable compressing vocals and voice-overs whilst tracking but it depends on the vocalist/actor, their performance and the final application.

vurt
addled muppet weed
50190 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:03 am

the only eq or compression that might happen during recording is as part of my guitar fx chain, to shape the sound to what i require for sound design.

track eq or compression happens post.
then you have all available frequencies to cut rather than have things you need to add or retake once context becomes more apparent.

Return to “Production Techniques”