Windows 10 - Timeto Upgrade?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

I just updated from 7 to 10 this week due to upcoming end of support. Felt I couldn't put it off any longer. I had used 10 at work so I knew what to expect (overall I like) but was concerned about my DAW and VSTs etc. Its still early days but here are some of the good and some bad points about this week's upgrade:

The Good
I contacted MS support chat line and they told me I could still get a legit free upgrade from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
(I used the first option - 'upgrade this PC')
I previously had 7 Pro and the tool automatically upgraded me to 10 Pro so v happy about that; even the MS support guy wasnt sure if I might get downgraded to 10 Home due to it being free.
All of my applications checked so far worked apart from VMWare Player, so I installed the more recent VMWare Workstation Player (free) and all my old VMs seem to work fine with it. Phew.

The Bad
Theres a definite lag when using some applications, esp noticeable in OneNote (2007) which I use often. Happens when moving from one notebook to another and even sometimes just doing copy-paste. Haven't figured this out yet. Its annoying but not a show-stopper.

The Ugly
My DAW (Studio One 4) now crackles and pops. :dog: This was the sort of issue I had feared and why I had put off upgrading for so long. I'm reasonably confident I'll sort it eventually but I could do without having to spend time on that instead of making music.

The Ugly
My DAW (Studio One 4) now crackles and pops. :dog: This was the sort of issue I had feared and why I had put off upgrading for so long. I'm reasonably confident I'll sort it eventually but I could do without having to spend time on that instead of making music.
Have you checked your Power Plan. Maybe it is on Balanced because of the update and needs to be changed to High Performance.
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Yeah, would be my first "culprit" as well.

Interesting that the MS support told you you still can leigitmately upgrade for free, BTW. :) As far as i know, it's definitely not a official thing. Rather something which the people who know you still can do, but, is in no way supported by MS. Cool anyway that they obviously trained their support staff to handle it anyway.

nm

A good rant about why Win10 updates are so f**ked, from an ex-microsoft employee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9kn8_oztsA&

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”