Cableguys ShaperBox 2 Released | VST 3 + Winter Sale Now On

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Nice upgrade price! Thank you for the updates.

Jakob / Cableguys wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:18 pm
sleepcircle wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:41 pm Apparently it shares between VST in Reaper and AU in Reaper, but it does not share between VST in Reaper and AU in Garageband
Wow - that's some super-useful info! Very helpful, we'll look into this! One more question: Which macOS version are you at, and are you using the latest version of GarageBand?
Mojave 10.14.6, and "Yes"

deastman wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:34 pmThat being said, will I be able to get a refund if it turns out not to actually provide me with infinite inspiration?
Sure, if you test it for long enough to determine that an infinite amount of inspiration was definitely not delivered – eternity seems the appropriate timeframe :wink:

I was really excited to try it because the looks, workflow and in particular the multi-band nature of the tools appeal to me, but somehow the presets were really a let down... Perhaps it's not for the type of music I make (the trailer tune was horrible...) or because I can actually do a lot of this stuff with native Bitwig devices.

Should I instead try & do my own stuff, rather than browsing the presets? Or am I just mistaken expecting to get results I can get from StutterEdit, Glitch2 or Turnado?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Jakob / Cableguys wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:10 pm As said, we support HiDPI. On these, the UI is simply scaled by factor 2 and looks crisp and sharp.

A user-definable scaling is certainly something we want to work on in future.
How can this factor 2 sizing be set? Cant seem to find a way to activate it.

EDIT: nevermind. Got an answer from Jakob in another thread.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

:tu: Instant upgrade for this price, thanks

Thanks for the very reasonable upgrade plan. Picked up the new Volumeshaper and it seems good so far. Tried the compressor out and found it to be very clean and effective.

andymcbain wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:24 pm Thanks for the very reasonable upgrade plan. Picked up the new Volumeshaper and it seems good so far. Tried the compressor out and found it to be very clean and effective.
Glad to hear you like the compressor! Indeed, we invested months of dev time for that.. would be glad to hear also what others think..

Jakob / Cableguys wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:33 pm
andymcbain wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:24 pm Thanks for the very reasonable upgrade plan. Picked up the new Volumeshaper and it seems good so far. Tried the compressor out and found it to be very clean and effective.
Glad to hear you like the compressor! Indeed, we invested months of dev time for that.. would be glad to hear also what others think..
I was working on an unruly vocal at the time, thought I'd try it out. Seemed to level it nicely with no obvious colour :)

antic604 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:36 am ... or because I can actually do a lot of this stuff with native Bitwig devices.
Let´s change that in "a bit of this stuff"...
With all due respect to Bitwig and it´s modulation system but 1. the lack of MSEG modulators, 2. the lack of something like Timeshaper and 3. the in this case very cumbersome workflow leaves you with perhaps 10% of what is doable with Shaperbox... working with multiple chains for doing multiband operations for all seperate operations would be a pain in the butt compared to a streamlined UI offering an all in one window and would take you hours only to set up...

I really like Bitwig but I absolutely dislike this extrem fanboism of many users, floating all threads with statements like what plugins are redundant because he/she/it uses Bitwig and Bitwig would be the answer to everything... :dog:
Should I instead try & do my own stuff, rather than browsing the presets? Or am I just mistaken expecting to get results I can get from StutterEdit, Glitch2 or Turnado?
Hmmm, especially the presets are for me very very inspiring and musical sounding...
Perhaps you are missing the distortion part of your named favourites as these heavily rely on distortion...
I would choose always Shaperbox over the from you named ones but this is just a matter of taste...and different peeps => different taste...
While I liked perhaps 10% of the presets from Glitch2 and perhaps a bit more from Stutteredit as I demoed them I could easily use 90% of Shaperbox´s presets...
The only alternative/sometimes better choice to Shaperbox when it comes to more glitchy/stutter stuff for me personally is Tantra which I really like a lot...

Shaperbox is for me the workhorse which finds use in multiple ways on every track in each project while Tantra is more used for special FX/highlights...

Trancit wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:07 pmI really like Bitwig but I absolutely dislike this extrem fanboism of many users, floating all threads with statements like what plugins are redundant because he/she/it uses Bitwig and Bitwig would be the answer to everything... :dog:
Sorry, that wasn't my intention!

Perhaps I should've emphasized that I meant "...of the stuff I need", because I don't care about vinyl scratches, half-time stuff, most of the MSEG-like duties I can do with Steps modulator. So perhaps you're right that Bitwig can do 10% of the things ShaperBox2 does (although I'd argue it's more, like 30-40%), but out of what I need Bitwig easily 70-80%.

On the other hand you're definitely right that Bitwig's chains can easily get out of hand quickly, turning into a maze of nested stuff that gets combersome to navigate, edit and control. In this context a tool like ShaperBox2 is a godsend for fast and intuitive workflow.

I'm gonna give this another try tonight and will probably buy it. I "saved" on not upgrading Reason to 11 Suite, so it might be smart to put that money towards this instead :)

EDIT: and BTW, how is the "I can do it in Bitwig with native devices" any different from people bragging about how CPU efficient their Reaper is, how the MIDI or audio editing in Cubase is next-level-shit or how great band-for-a-buck Logic Pro is? I'm not some blind fanboy and you can easily find my critical posts about Bitwig here or on Facebook. But let us be proud of things that make Bitwig special and unique - because in many respects it is :)
Last edited by antic604 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast

Lee / Cableguys wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:44 amSure, if you test it for long enough to determine that an infinite amount of inspiration was definitely not delivered – eternity seems the appropriate timeframe :wink:
Sorry to call you out like this with an OT question, but how do I register on cableguys.com website? Do I have to buy something to get an account? I an't find any info about it.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:36 pmSorry to call you out like this with an OT question, but how do I register on cableguys.com website? Do I have to buy something to get an account? I an't find any info about it.
No problem! Yes, when you buy a product, an account is created automatically for you.

Lee / Cableguys wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:13 pm
antic604 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:36 pmSorry to call you out like this with an OT question, but how do I register on cableguys.com website? Do I have to buy something to get an account? I an't find any info about it.
No problem! Yes, when you buy a product, an account is created automatically for you.
Thanks! :tu:
Music tech enthusiast

twolegstoneworks wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:42 am
Jakob / Cableguys wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:10 pm As said, we support HiDPI. On these, the UI is simply scaled by factor 2 and looks crisp and sharp.

A user-definable scaling is certainly something we want to work on in future.
How can this factor 2 sizing be set? Cant seem to find a way to activate it.

EDIT: nevermind. Got an answer from Jakob in another thread.
This is not very social way to communicate of your solved problem issue in the Forum site. The primary idea of the Forum is to share information, not just drive around your own navel. :?

Return to “Effects”