Freestyle Feature Requests

Official support for: newsonicarts.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Freestyle

The next release is almost ready and features native M1 support. You can already access it as a release candidate from the user area. I cant say the exact date of the next official release but I would expect it to be a few weeks from now.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:22 am The next release is almost ready and features native M1 support. You can already access it as a release candidate from the user area. I cant say the exact date of the next official release but I would expect it to be a few weeks from now.
Any other significant changes/improvements?

I'd like to request CLAP support and touch screen friendliness. thanks!

I'm ok with just getting morphing :pray:

Any other significant changes/improvements?
Here is the full list of improvements and fixes for version 1.65:

Improvements:
* macOS: Universal Binary / support for Apple Silicon (see notes below)
* Added Horizontal Structure View
* Duplicate now available on multiple selection
* Floating Edit View now has scrollbars when needed
* Recent files feature added to the main menu (under Open)
* Project tempo is preserved when changing snapshots
* Rack/Strip: add FX now inserted after focus when possible
* Bypass now available on Groups
* Esc key now deselects focused module or navigates to parent Group
* Windows/ASIO: Added open Control Panel button
* Unassigned Macros are now potis rather than buttons
* Various misc UI and layout tweaks
* General keyboard input/focus tweaks

Fixes:
* macOS: fullscreen mode UI would disappear after cmd+tab
* Fixed an undo related crash bug
* Some plugin windows could get 'stuck' when changing snaps
* Fixed an Event Player issue with Nuance (drum names could be displayed on the wrong note)
* Plugin Browser: internal modules could not be marked as favourite
* Workaround a crash in some Kilohearts VST's
* Automation assignments did not recall in some hosts
* Host song position sync could be offset by some samples
* Added a workaround for certain plugins that don't report a view size
* VST version: MIDI CC output was not working
* VST3 hosting: added support for MIDI PitchBend and ModWheel input
* VST3 hosting: added support for MIDI note output
* VST3 hosting: fixed some plugins where editing plugin parameters would not affect sound or update
* VST3 hosting: fixed some plugins would not respond to Macro assignments
* Fixed a bug with the selection rectangle in rack/strip view
Andy Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Are there any plans for modulators and snapshot morphing?
Brzzzzzzt.

If by snapshot morphing, you mean Kore style morphing? Read a few posts here prior to your post.

greggybud wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:18 pm If by snapshot morphing, you mean Kore style morphing? Read a few posts here prior to your post.
I don't know what Kore-style morphing is. I mean having a pair or a bunch of states I could morph between using a controller. (Even better – automation of which snapshots to morph between)

I did see your earlier post but I did not find it informative, nor did I find any more information about this here on KVR and on the web.
Brzzzzzzt.

Yes, that us what I call Kore style morphing. Several patches able to morph or blend from one to another.

It was included in a Freestyle beta, but removed. JWH says it will return...eventually.

greggybud wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:19 pm Yes, that us what I call Kore style morphing. Several patches able to morph or blend from one to another.

It was included in a Freestyle beta, but removed. JWH says it will return...eventually.
Ok, thank you!
Brzzzzzzt.

Parameter morphing is currently in development and planned to return in version 1.7
Andy Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Andy Spence wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:39 am Parameter morphing is currently in development and planned to return in version 1.7
I'm very glad, thank you.

I've been thinking about this feature a lot, I even started coding with the intention of making a plugin wrapper with this functionality as a first-class citizen. I reckon that if fleshed out, it might be the most powerful way of composition with electronic instruments. It abstracts away much of the complexity that comes from having to use a multitude of parameters.
Mapping the parameters is really very limited. The workflow is slow and requires much forethought. It is not conducive for quick and dirty experimentation.
Automating the parameters straight onto the arranger can leave you with a large volume of parameters to keep track of, each of different importance, each with technical names that do not represent their function in situ, and the DAWs provide you with no way to organize them so that you could return to them easily.
It all devolves into a balancing act and is very tiring.

Morphing + snapshots could fix these problems, I believe.
Experimentation could be very quick, as you just play around with your chain and quickly collect the spots you like. Then you can morph between them and easily explore the spaces between them for either further snapshots, or for interesting transitions (all music is transition, after all). It also provides a great means of organization – a snapshot can be just as mobile and just as specific as a musical note.
You could basically place snapshots on the timeline and morph into them. Play around with the time between two patches. It allows you to think of a snapshot as a specific location embedded within a piece. So you can just explore the crevices of your patch easily, because you can safely know that, for example, bar X already has a snapshot planted there. No more fear of losing that place just because you changed your macro map! No more need to micro-manage your parameters – be bold!
Brzzzzzzt.

Andy Spence wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:39 am Parameter morphing is currently in development and planned to return in version 1.7
Fantastic news!

Then, instead of just Walk-ing through my Hall-Presets, I can interpolate between them.

I'll see myself out.... :arrow: :hihi:

wvshpr wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:20 pm
Fantastic news!

Then, instead of just Walk-ing through my Hall-Presets, I can interpolate between them.

I'll see myself out.... :arrow: :hihi:
:lol:
Andy Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Just an idea. It might be interesting to utilize the Articulation Map / key switch feature to snapshots.
It's very weird that this mechanism has not been adapted to synthesizers.
Brzzzzzzt.

Return to “New Sonic Arts”