New song - "As do I"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone, here's a new song of mine. Mostly done with "real" instruments, and vocal chords, no less! Quite a departure from my electronic stuff, but also a return to what I used to do. Hope you enjoy it, and feedback is always welcome (I'll try to reciprocate, haven't been that active in the Cafe as of late).

https://soundcloud.com/ariston/as-do-i

Love this. A subtle blend of Bowie, Depeche Mode and Lou Reed. Guitar is perfect.

I think the mix is a little rough and I think the vocals could be nudged with a bit of autotune here and there, but the flip side of that is the raw nature of what's here fits the character of the song.

My brain is desperate to hear some vocal harmonies in the 'chorus' sections too!

But I still love it, and my observations are merely technical nitpicking.

Thanks very much for your detailed feedback, glad you liked it! Interesting influences... not the ones I'd have picked, but artists I like, more or less.
The mix is... well, to be honest, it was intended as a demo. I wrote the lyric first, the song came quickly after that, and I wanted to get it done quickly. I always intended to go back and re-record a few things, but the more I listened to it, the more I liked it in its rough form.
I might revisit it and maybe give the vocal a do-over (most of it is pretty spot-on pitch-wise, so kudos for picking up the, erm, "grace notes"! I'll think about harmonies... not a bad idea. Something subtle, maybe.

Again, thanks!

Love the drums. Especially the snare. Sounds live. The mix is a little congested. Everything, minus the guitar which appears panned right, seems smooshed in the middle and a little muddy. Not much. Just a bit. Vocal especially is a little on the "rich" side. I don't have a problem with any of the pitch. I think it makes it sound cool. Musically, this is really some cool stuff. Not sure who it reminds me of but the above poster certainly hit some distinct possibilities.

I too would love to hear background vocals on this. All in all, a very enjoyable listen in spite of the mix imperfections.

PS - I wish I could sing as well as you do.

swans fan?
i like the mix, has that "yeah, heres our song" feel, nothing too frivolous, but everything is fairly clear.
the lo mids maybe a bit wooly, but nothing offensive.

vurt wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:11 pm swans fan?
i like the mix, has that "yeah, heres our song" feel, nothing too frivolous, but everything is fairly clear.
What does wooly sound like? :lol:

wagtunes wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:22 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:11 pm swans fan?
What does wooly sound like? :lol:
a little muffled, could use some definition on the individual parts.
(not in this case, but that's what i would mean by "its a bit wooly" :hihi: )

Thanks a lot guys for your feedback!
I just pulled up my project file in Ableton - this was the first mix I did with the Fiedler Audio Stage, and it might explain the clashes in the mix. Hm, either I'm using it wrong, or good old-fashioned panning, reverbing and EQing is still the way to go. Think I'll do a remix at some point.

The drums sound live because they are! :) My son and I got our birthday present together this year, a Roland V-drum set! I'm self-taught and fudging it a bit, although I'm getting better. At least I'm not making the same mistake I did years ago when I had my first kit, which was to hit everything as hard and as fast as I could. :clown:

Swans? I know of them, but have never heard a single track. Any good place to start? I guess my inspirations here were more Nick Cave and The National - kind of glad it's not THAT apparent.

ah yeah, nick cave now you say it. but no, it doesn't sound like a covers band or anything, just hints of inspiration.
swans are similar, but perhaps a bit "moodier"
a compilation but a good place to get an overview would be
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Various_Failures

Thanks, will check them out!

Return to “Music Cafe”