Recomendations for realistic/convincing acoustic and electric guitars parts in Logic?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
latorrejc3
KVRist
94 posts since 15 Jun, 2011

Post Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:14 am

Hello, recently I made a track which uses acoustic guitar parts in the mix (sort of country rock) and realized that even when I play guitar, there are ideas that exceeds my current abilities, therefore, Im looking for good recommendations for the acoustic and guitar parts that could be convincing

Have a MacBook Pro High Sierra, thanks

jancivil
KVRAF
19064 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Recomendations for realistic/convincing acoustic and electric guitars parts in Logic?

Post Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Convincing is going to be down to how well you operate the thing, you aren't going to buy your way to glory.
Personally I think Electri6ity and Acou6tics for Kontakt are the most capable I know of.

Forgotten
KVRAF
4516 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Recomendations for realistic/convincing acoustic and electric guitars parts in Logic?

Post Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Do you have an iOS device? You could use the included guitars in GarageBand and play them with the touch device. Once recorded you can pull the GarageBand project into Logic.

BBFG#
KVRAF
5764 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:10 pm

glokraw
KVRAF
7076 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:11 pm

I'll suggest that convincing an average listener of an instruments ID
is less important than satisfying that listeners expectations
of appropriate emotion, energy, and style, throughout the whole song.

I use effect chains for rompler/sampler guitar sounds
and practice pitchbending leads, glissands, finger-pick loops,
and theme echos, to the backdrop of, by definition,
already 'pro-approved' movie/tv soundtracks.
This also helps remind me how to fit the sound to the mood,
and how not to clutter a mix, allowing for the one main expression
of the film scene to prevail, much like keeping the 'hook' alive
in a song writers setting. Also great for guitar practice time,
to chip away daily at skills we need to acquire, and keep at the ready.

BlueCat Axiom, IK Amplitube, and and NI Guitar Rig are very useful
for selecting/crafting chains, and you can cherrypick from a range of
single plugins. A favorite of mine is the CM Fuzz distortion, followed by
NI Replika reverb, and U-he ColourCopy delay. Can sound right at home
with the movies, choosing from a variety of guitar sounds.

There is a tempting sale thru September, IK 'group buy'
Buy one, get 10 of same/lower price free,
For example, by the Lursen Mastering Console at $160
get 10 free of same or lower price:
Amplitube 4 $150
T-Racks 5 $150
A4 Leslie $130 (typical B3 Organ air effects)
A4 Mesa Boogie $150
A4 Orange $100
A4 Fender 1 $100
A4 Fender 2 $150
A4 Hendrix $100
A4 Slash $100
A4 Dimebag $100...the above collections cover a huge range of guitar tones,
utility gear, and mastering needs, around $1000 retail, but the studio value
is more like $500, due to frequent sundry sale pricing, the advantage here
is getting a lot of versatility in one go, with a nice sonic inventory awaiting
each new skill and endeavor.

BlueCat Axiom is in the same $$$ range even without a sale,
and it is a fabulous concentration of effects and capabilities,
and has some special attention for accoustic guitars, with it's
new Re-Guitar plugin built in, along with Late Replies, Destructor,
and IR support. It's a very different gui arrangement than A4's
pedalboard style, but well thought out, and hosts 3rd party plugins,
even A4/GR5 can be added in.

I also like the immediacy of the IK UNO synth's built-in arpeggiator,
you can play a sampled guitar with the arp, looping what you've
just played, or use and switch among the predefined arps,
doubling back to play more as desired. Get's very interesting
arping percussion and synth pluks beneath a good
accoustic guitar sample.
Cheers

electro
KVRAF
4515 posts since 6 May, 2002

Post Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:34 pm

Take advantage of that IK group buy. The latest generation modelling is probably everything since Mesa

Mesa
Slash (Updated)
Hendrix AE (Updated)
AT4
Fulltone
Fender 2
SVX 2
Dimebag
Brian May

Was Orange before or after MESA?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

plexuss
KVRAF
3382 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:42 am

All the guitars in this are sample players. Trick is in how they are played.

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/kkryhztalizzed

enCiphered
KVRist
473 posts since 13 Dec, 2016

Post Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:47 am

There is absolutely nothing in this track that sounds even close to a realistic guitar. And I have never heard such plastic guitar sound before, especially the lead parts.

@op:
If you want your tracks sound like a real guitar you should try the session guitarist and strummed acoustic series libraries from Native Instruments. For lead guitars try Ample Sound
Last edited by enCiphered on Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

plexuss
KVRAF

Post Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:08 am

enCiphered wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:47 am
There is absolutely nothing in this track that sounds even close to a realistic guitar. And I have never heard such plastic guitar sound before, especially the lead parts.
Well, aren't you a nice peron. :party:

latorrejc3
KVRist

Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:41 am

Let me refrase my question please: ¿There is any recommendations for a plugin with enough versatility in his use for create custom acoustic and electric guitar frases? I can put enough time in a guitar track to get a good sound, in fact, I recently used the musiclab Real guitar in the mentioned track but I thought I lacks a bit of ... I don't know... body? if I put in words, like it sound a bit plastic and thin to my ears.

Now im no expert in this regard(Im a piano player) so I any of you can point me in the right direction (thanks a lot for the effect chain recommendations) to get a realistic guitar track using whatever plugin(or even some tips to get the midi right) I'll be eternally grateful

There isn't something like Ezdrummer but for guitar? so I can pick a loop and tweak everything or even create something from scratch

Thank you guys!

PS: sry if my English Its a bit weird, I speak Spanish natively

Cheers!

plexuss
KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:43 am

When you say "phrases" that is a big vague. Perhaps take a look at UJAM guitars.

latorrejc3
KVRist

Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:09 am

plexuss wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:43 am
When you say "phrases" that is a big vague. Perhaps take a look at UJAM guitars.
You are right, I meant midi guitar tracks, im more confortable having a little more control than plain phrases and loops(like in Ezdrummer that you can customize many things to get the sound you want)

Thank you!

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
6153 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:09 am

If you're going for the country rock you'll generally be wanting a telecaster style electric. This is rather good in that it has a good set of inbuilt sampled slides (so you don't need to rely on pitch bend) which you can trigger by velocity or keyswitches. Also has nice harmony modes for those double stops etc. And it's cheap...

https://www.indiginus.com/renegade.html

benjamind
KVRian
1138 posts since 4 Aug, 2004 from Ain't tellin' ya...

Post Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:49 pm

Wait for MODO GUITAR.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

David
KVRian
1220 posts since 5 Jan, 2003 from Brookings, OR

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:39 pm

I've been buying libraries and processors, and struggling with exactly what you describe for a long time, and what's working best for me currently is this:

For fingerpicked acoustics, there is NOTHING even close to the new NI Picked Acoustic, sound and versatility-wise, plus it also includes a melody instrument that you can solo with, also sounding great. Only problem is, there's no good way to get MIDI out of the patterns. But combine this with some kind of chord player and it's the fastest way to get a realistic acoustic guitar groove going, AFAIK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64tJiRof88

Here's my first experiment with it using Captain Chords (plus some Omnisphere acoustic bass and a steel-guitar preset), rolled out within minutes of the download and after only a few more minutes getting oriented:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evdnBtHwzM

(Omnisphere itself is a fantastic source of great guitar sounds, IMO)

The other NI strummers are quite good, too.

For Telecaster sounds and playability, the best I know of is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-nIQ3jb0nc

The demo player here is obviously a keyboard-playing guitar virtuoso, but very importantly, the product includes a few full MIDI song examples that really expose exactly what he's doing to get the sounds… Totally hidden gem, not available except by buying the library (true of all OT guitars—AND the MIDI Files sound excellent played through Omnisphere, and are great for testing other guitar libraries, usually showing off how crappy they are!).

Finally, even tho the OT libraries have extensive and good-sounding FX, as does Omnisphere of course, Axiom as mentioned above is the best processor I've ever tried for post-massaging any guitar sounds, totally deep and microscopic, plus really fast with their recently added Re-Guitar panel, and hard not to use all the time, no matter how good you thought what you had going before was. Good Luck!
Last edited by David on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”