Autosave-a new release from Mona Lisa Transmission

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The tune is quite heavy on the bass and low mid on my monitors.

Some tracks may use a little high-pass filtering, the bassy tracks a little equalized peak in the bass around the 100 Hz but for the rest a reduced bass and low mid.

The lead solo and chords are laying perfect in the low mid, the bass and synth tracks have a little too much bass and low mid.

Maybe it would also be good to add some (up to about 1:5 high ratio, with long attack, multiple instances of) compression to the, now little longer, round sounding bass synth notes, to increase their attack punch and lower their release a little in volume, they sound a little too beefy in their release at the end of the notes.

The composition is surprisingly original, and the arrangement of sounds is good.

The mix and clearance for each part may be worked on; filtering out and equalizing out the seperate ranges to give more space for each frequency range per element, and removing undesired bass and low mid from tracks that fill the present space too much, as well as some compression (with longer attack times) on elements to cut their tail a little in volume, maybe add a little more clear pronounciation to the attack of the sounds.

A good mastering compressor that you may want to use is the Tokyo Dawn Records Kotelnikov, and if you are lucky you may just be in time to grab the free Ozone Elements equalizer / spatializer / limiter to put thereafter to give a finishing touch to your mixes. I also recommend using a Send track for reverb and send only a selective higher tones range there of individual instrument and drum tracks, to only have selective reverbration going on in higher Mid and High. My reverb of choice for this task is the free Beyerdynamic Virtual Studio preset 4: Big Venue, but you may as well want to go with another reverb that simulates a big room.

Well done so far. The mix is a little unclear, the composition is very good. Keep up the good work!

EatMe wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:32 am The tune is quite heavy on the bass and low mid on my monitors.

Some tracks may use a little high-pass filtering, the bassy tracks a little equalized peak in the bass around the 100 Hz but for the rest a reduced bass and low mid.

The lead solo and chords are laying perfect in the low mid, the bass and synth tracks have a little too much bass and low mid.

Maybe it would also be good to add some (up to about 1:5 high ratio, with long attack, multiple instances of) compression to the, now little longer, round sounding bass synth notes, to increase their attack punch and lower their release a little in volume, they sound a little too beefy in their release at the end of the notes.

The composition is surprisingly original, and the arrangement of sounds is good.

The mix and clearance for each part may be worked on; filtering out and equalizing out the seperate ranges to give more space for each frequency range per element, and removing undesired bass and low mid from tracks that fill the present space too much, as well as some compression (with longer attack times) on elements to cut their tail a little in volume, maybe add a little more clear pronounciation to the attack of the sounds.

A good mastering compressor that you may want to use is the Tokyo Dawn Records Kotelnikov, and if you are lucky you may just be in time to grab the free Ozone Elements equalizer / spatializer / limiter to put thereafter to give a finishing touch to your mixes. I also recommend using a Send track for reverb and send only a selective higher tones range there of individual instrument and drum tracks, to only have selective reverbration going on in higher Mid and High. My reverb of choice for this task is the free Beyerdynamic Virtual Studio preset 4: Big Venue, but you may as well want to go with another reverb that simulates a big room.

Well done so far. The mix is a little unclear, the composition is very good. Keep up the good work!
^
quite an accurate assessment of the track , imho ...
be hard pressed to add any further suggestions ...

i enjoyed your composition , as well ...

EatMe wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:32 am The tune is quite heavy on the bass and low mid on my monitors.

Thanks for the kind words. Each track went through PA SSL E channel and then a copy of VTM. Busses had VTM and well as bx_townhouse comp on them. I mastered it with PA's Shadow Hills, Eiosis air EQ and Slate's FG-X limiter.

Thanks for the tips but I did most of what you mentioned as to HP and LP on each track as well and cutting and boosting specific frequencies to add separation. In addition, I put Slate Air EQ on each group buss to tackle frequency build-ups. Honestly, I'm very happy with the mix. I wanted to give it that 70's vibe of Genesis around the Trick of the Tail releases. It took some time to soften it as I did. I came from the tape era and I cannot stand the in-your-face-over-produced, harsh mixes that seem to be the standard. Just my taste I guess.

As well, it sounds muddy on SC so I may have to see if I can make a sperate master for it. I have it up on Bandcamp as well and it seems to be much clearer.

UPDATE:

Big mistake on my side. When I returned to shut down my DAW, I realized that I had exported the master file with IK Arc 2 still on and then uploaded it without checking...Amateurs will be amateurs! :P

I have deleted the first link and posted the right version in this message.
https://soundcloud.com/mike-moreau-184166282/autosave

This mix is much clearer. Thank you for checking and uploading the right version. Humans make mistakes, and one can only learn from the mistakes made. This version sounds very good!

Great track! Love the curve-ball 9’s and the sweet 7’s. Can't really comment on the mix too much as I'm listening on an iPad speaker. Will listen again, later :tu:

Just gave it a listen... a very nice track with some unexpected detours and a lovely retro-vibe. I had to smile at some of your choices of lead sounds... I would have picked the same ones. And it even has a proper ending! You obviously lavished a lot of care on this track, so well done!

The only criticism I have is that some intermediary parts go on too long with almost nothing happening, and so the changes seem a bit abrupt, especially when the main theme kicks in. Not a big issue, though.

This might seem weird, but I almost preferred the first mix you posted. Yes, the second one is clearer and by all accounts "better", but the muffled sound suited the track quite well.

Return to “Music Cafe”