Physical Modelling?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been hearing a lot of Amon Tobin material recently, and I was curious if there is any VST like Kaivo that can use an "audio in" signal as an exciter and recieve a MIDI input so I can tune the instrument.

I've used the Corpus audio effect on Ableton, but it is monophonic and the notes cut each other. Is there any way a to build a polyphonic resonator with MIDI input on Reaktor or Ableton with Corpus? Any ideas?

Example @ 0:36, Plucked String
https://youtu.be/uD3S2oejdHg

Thanks!

Prism for Reaktor does that.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

CrystalWizard wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:05 pm Prism for Reaktor does that.
Working well with this! Thank you :)

👍🏼
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

The comb filter in Zebrify might do the trick for you.

Zebrify, Reaktor, MXXX, and then there were a few good midi controlled comb filter banks out for ages, but I can’t think of any off the top of my head. If you own reaktor, I would recommend it for making exactly what you want. It would also give you lots of extra options to make the comb output and feedback path more “interesting”.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Alas, Zebrify is not polyphonic, but if your host lets you control multiple instances in parallel, you can certainly make it work polyphonically. It's worth a little extra hassle, as Zebrify's comb filters are some of the most versatile out there, in my opinion.

Or if you want to build something in a modular style, there are some emulations of Mutable Instruments Rings for Softube Modular (paid) and VCV Rack (free), which give you some nice plucky resonances. To get polyphony, you can just use a polyphonic MIDI-to-CV, sending notes to multiple Rings modules processing your input in parallel. I believe that there are other resonators for VCV Rack too, though I haven't really looked into it.

There's also AAS Tassman, if you can use 32-bit plugins and can find somebody selling it used (it has been discontinued). There are several resonator types for physical modeling stuff in there - strings, beams, plates, membranes, tubes etc. The interface is kind of awkward, and it's a pity that AAS never modernized it, but it's still quite good.

+1 VCV rack ftw!

audiority grain space is a good one, but realize what you are hearing isn't music, it's programming. it's an algorithm. it's preprogrammed and he hits play and it plays out.

cthonophonic wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:21 pm Alas, Zebrify is not polyphonic, but if your host lets you control multiple instances in parallel, you can certainly make it work polyphonically. It's worth a little extra hassle, as Zebrify's comb filters are some of the most versatile out there, in my opinion.

Or if you want to build something in a modular style, there are some emulations of Mutable Instruments Rings for Softube Modular (paid) and VCV Rack (free), which give you some nice plucky resonances. To get polyphony, you can just use a polyphonic MIDI-to-CV, sending notes to multiple Rings modules processing your input in parallel. I believe that there are other resonators for VCV Rack too, though I haven't really looked into it.

There's also AAS Tassman, if you can use 32-bit plugins and can find somebody selling it used (it has been discontinued). There are several resonator types for physical modeling stuff in there - strings, beams, plates, membranes, tubes etc. The interface is kind of awkward, and it's a pity that AAsS never modernized it, but it's still quite good.
You can also tune up different combs in zebrify to make some simple intervals to add a bit of harmony, and the use modulation to go from major 3rd to minor for instance.
If you are programming the data then there are some pretty cool things to do with Melda Comb. You can use MPE note data to control each filter with a separate channel even without an MPE controller if your host will let you.
I really like absynthFX for a midi comb bank and it’s a good way to go if you already have komplete. It then adds a massive amount of extra modulation and processing (run the signal through a granulator on its way into the comb to smooth out the signal into a beautiful wash of sound or flip it the other way and turn your newly “tuned up” sound into a stuttering ringing mass of clicky percussive stuff). Combined with the per parameter modulation you can get pretty crazy in there. Most of those sounds will be pretty similar to what you would get from stock modules in reaktor.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

NAD wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:49 pm The comb filter in Zebrify might do the trick for you.
u-he Zebra by its own is able to make those weird resonant tones? :o

Ah_Dziz wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:07 pm Zebrify, Reaktor, MXXX, and then there were a few good midi controlled comb filter banks out for ages, but I can’t think of any off the top of my head. If you own reaktor, I would recommend it for making exactly what you want. It would also give you lots of extra options to make the comb output and feedback path more “interesting”.
I have Reaktor, I might try to play with that. I've been using Prism FX and gives really good results! :party:

PolarDubBear wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:42 am u-he Zebra by its own is able to make those weird resonant tones? :o
Yes. The comb filter module can self-generate or use input. It uses 4 delay lines with user-selectable configurations for various timbres in stereo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA34erl5L8g

moodal.

I guess this gets asked on a regular basis, but is there anything out there that could compete with Logic’s Sculpture? Most physmod synths like Kaivo and Chromaphone just excite a preset resonator, which I find inflexible and boring. Same with modal synths and comb filter stuff, nothing comes close to the way the string and objects react to each other in extremely complex ways in Sculpture. It’s crazy that Sculpture is so old and nothing still seems to do quite what it does.

Return to “Sound Design”