Light Speed [Trance] ... feedback welcome...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Bansaw
KVRian
756 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:03 am

My latest attempt at Trance.
Feedback on mixing, arrangement, sound choice always welcome.
(The bass & bass-swell VPS Avenger presets I made for this track are available for free download via my Youtube channel, here: http://y2u.be/6NS_6TbXDx4 )
https://soundcloud.com/bansaw-843690132 ... ger-series

MasterTuner
KVRist
204 posts since 30 May, 2018

Re: Light Speed [Trance] ... feedback welcome...

Post Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:50 am

Arrangement and mixing are good, kept me engaged. Although Trance is normally longer than 4mins.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

ampldotfi
KVRer
6 posts since 7 Oct, 2019

Post Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:26 am

This is pretty decent! Is this a preview? I figured it would be longer.

wagtunes
KVRAF
17159 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:03 am

What's there to say? Excellent all the way around. I agree though, it should be longer.

THE INTRANCER
KVRian
1143 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:12 pm

I find the drum and percussion just a bit too in your face, the choice of sounds end up in a mish-mash of getting lost and there's little to no chord / key changes to change things up. Overuse of arpeggiation for momentum is something else I feel... and while there's plenty of energy in the track, it doesn't feel like it has a lot soul. I get the impression that it's very preset heavy from pre-recorded loops... Overall though I like it, but it does feel pretty generic and not very memorable.
THE INTRANCER-Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist - Orchestral Trance - Ambient - Film Scores | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16 | Producing Music For 25+Years & Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect

Mikelo
KVRian
1401 posts since 10 Mar, 2004

Post Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:19 pm

I think its bloody excellent. I don't think trance needs to be long. Especially if you are writing vocal trance, That needs to fit radio play times.
Any track can be extended if need be.
Banshaw keep up the great work!
Look at the size of my dongle

Vortifex
KVRian
1449 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:20 am

Mix is good although a tad bass heavy for that style of trance IMO. I felt like it didn't quite know where to go melodically. I liked the initial arp that stopped at 0:30 and started again at 2:34, I felt that could have been used in a stronger way as the basis for the entire track. But generally speaking it sounds like the work of a competent producer.

htcnext2
KVRist
344 posts since 3 Jul, 2017 from Austria

Post Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:49 am

Although Trance is not the genre I am in usually, I think this track is very weel conceived, nice melodies that alternate with the arps. Sounds good on headphones, cool mix and mastering. Good work!

excuse me please
KVRist
240 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Post Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:44 am

It's a bit too much in my face. I like the bass at the beginning (0:07) and end though (3:36). Unfortunately, it wasn't repeated.

Bansaw
KVRian

Post Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:08 am

@MasterTuner, @ampldotfi, @Wags, thanks, Trance is normally longer. Laziness has something to do with not completely bring a track to its full potential. After 200 playbacks, I often just want it out of the door and move on. Thats maybe a mentality thing with me.
@Intrancer, thanks... there are no loops in the track, everything is home-baked... thanks for your remarks on chord variation, thats something for me to ponder.
@Mikelo, thanks : )
@Vortifex, thanks, good point about the arp, I was conscious of this and looking to re-introduce it earlier, but it didn't work and I went with another arp pattern.
@htcnext2, thanks : )
@excuseme, sorry your face was assaulted :s ... If you want to hear an "in your face" track, look up my last Trance track I did, "Strange Oribit", and listen to the 2nd half! I got my butt kicked when I posted that on KVR for being too much in-face. This track is milder by comparison ;)

sjm
KVRAF
1951 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Post Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:54 am

I felt like you could have had a longer build up in the intro - it might address the slightly in-your-face arpeggio comments too if you did that. This would also allow the (hypothetical) DJ to mix - that's primarily why these things are so sparse and are often just the kick and nothing else. You don't necessarily need to go that extreme, but it is something that contributes to making the genre what it is IMO.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/

Gabriel_West
KVRist
37 posts since 16 Nov, 2017 from Germany

Post Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Great one, Bansaw! :tu: That's how Trance should be.
Good thing in music is: Your knowledge of music theory is getting better with the years by lerning..bad thing: Your singing voice is getting worser with the years. So if you've composed lovesongs at your younger ages, dont wait too long with the recording

Bansaw
KVRian

Post Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:38 pm

@sjm - thanks, I'm still trying to get into the mindset that Trance should be longer and given time to build.
@Gabriel - thanks, appreciate the comment. :tu:

enroe
KVRian
1045 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Post Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:40 pm

I don't think it is too much into the face - it's quite good going on, I would
call it "Fast Trance". Good break at ca. 2:50: It goes slower and then again
we get on to lightspeed - like in rollercoaster!

Yes, I enjoyed this fast and spacey trip, heard it already twice! :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Music Cafe”