Are Guitar Impulse Responses as stereo files a THING?

August 2019 is the first KVR Guitar Month so here's a new forum for discussion of all things guitar!
forwardaudio
KVRer
28 posts since 25 Jun, 2014 from Germany

Post Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:48 am

A lot of people like to use panning within an impulse response loader to get different IR sounds on both speakers. Do you guys think we need the ability to export / load these settings as stereo wavs? There are only a few impulse response loaders who can load these properly, though.
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
― Arthur C. Clarke
http://www.forward-audio.com

Tilly
KVRist
43 posts since 18 Feb, 2019

Re: Are Guitar Impulse Responses as stereo files a THING?

Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:58 pm

There are some stereo mic'd cabinet IRs. I rarely use a cabinet IR loader as real stereo processor but when I do I tend to setup IRs either based on psychoacoustics like Haas or to further widen the stereo field of an already stereo signal. Would of course be great to proper safe it then as an IR. I think the need for it gets bigger if you mix small ambience rooms in. So for me it's an optional nice to have feature but if it's missing I wouldn't complain either.

XxEDxX
KVRist
34 posts since 31 Mar, 2019

Post Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:44 pm

I think once you've created an IR in a plugin with panning, reverb and/or certain different EQ settings you should also be able to save it as it is. If not then we run into a problem of what should get saved instead (left/right/mono). I think any save as dialog could have a simple option menu for that.

I'm undecided about a way to load stereo files. I don't know if it should be handled in 1 lane as stereo or if I would want to lose 2 precious lanes which are then automatically panned. Or if could even be the same dialog with option when loading IRs. I can say that I ran into such a problem back in the days and decided to create the IR in the DAW, export it and just use a convolution plugin which can load stereo files per default :D

lfm
KVRAF
5014 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Post Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:19 pm

Reverberate does really offer a lot
https://www.liquidsonics.com/

I have the older v1.x, and you can load two IR's each side A and B with loads of options to modulate and route as stereo. Or you can load quad IR's as well which are true stereo.

But whatever setup you have you can save as VST preset, or track template to reuse. I don't see the need to recreate a new IR from it.

forwardaudio
KVRer
28 posts since 25 Jun, 2014 from Germany

Post Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:49 am

XxEDxX wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:44 pm
I'm undecided about a way to load stereo files. I don't know if it should be handled in 1 lane as stereo or if I would want to lose 2 precious lanes which are then automatically panned. Or if could even be the same dialog with option when loading IRs. I can say that I ran into such a problem back in the days and decided to create the IR in the DAW, export it and just use a convolution plugin which can load stereo files per default :D
That's interesting! If you need an IR reverb plug-in to load a guitar cabinet IR: that reveals a flaw of Cab IR plug-ins. In terms of loading I would prefer your second proposal: Loading a stereo IR file puts it into 2 different slots which are automatically panned. The way I intend the design it wouldn't waste a precious lane, though.
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
― Arthur C. Clarke
http://www.forward-audio.com

Return to “Guitars”