Automatic generation of polyphonic music on the basis of a melody and a chord progression

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

What is the best free software that can automatically generate polyphonic music from an input that consists of a melody and a chord progression? Does such software even exist?

I have searched but not found exactly that kind of software. There is the free vielklang vst plugin. It can be used but it doesn't support the strange chords I end up with (- C6 - D7 - F#dim - D7sus/C - G - D7 - Bsus4 - D9sus2 - for example), it is cumbersome to use and it crashes much too often.

Then there is a JamBot that can generate polyphonic music from a chord progression. Though it isn't a vst but a set of python programs. Gotta try it.

I could embed the melody in the chord progression if the top notes or the bottom notes in the chord progression are the melody, a chord for every melody note also. This trick could maybe used to generate polyphonic melodies from only a chord progression. Any free software for this other than JamBot?

ReCompose Liquid Notes reharmonizes the MIDI you give it. Give it chords, it'll automatically reharmonize, change the melody accordingly if it has one. You have control over it too. https://www.re-compose.com/liquid-notes ... tware.html

ReCompose was bought out by WA Production and they're in the middle of transitioning the products over so you can't buy it right now.

For melody creation from extant chords look at ChordPotion.

And sorry, don't know anything like that that is free.

yellowmix wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:52 pm ReCompose Liquid Notes reharmonizes the MIDI you give it.
For melody creation from extant chords look at ChordPotion.
The Liquid Notes is a quite interesting tool really. If it were free I would certainly download and play with it. Perhaps CM magazine will someday offer a free version of it, hopefully!

Tracktion Waveform 10 free comes with a pattern generator tool, that is a composing assistant, which is something similar to Liquid Notes, much less automated, manual but usefull.

The ChordPotion - that is apparently just a mechanical, unintelligent generator of melodies. It doesn't understand music theory, voice leading or counterpoint, nor have any AI. I am looking for something that does and has.

Gotcha. You're asking for a lot for free so still got nothing to offer in that department. But you may be interested in RapidComposer and Loomer Architect. They're both going to be more manual but with Architect you can build whatever it is you desire.

Free high quality software exists, and if one is lucky the available software matches one's needs. It is conceivable that someone somewhere already has programmed that kind of free composer's/song writer's assistant that I'm searching, it is certainly doable.

I found some freebies when I took a look at Rapid Composer and Loomer Architect.

http://www.jasminemusic.com/ offers two very old and free midi sequencers. With the Style Enhancer one can create chord progressions, bass and other melody lines, arpeggios and drum patterns automatically. I think there is some music theory build in. This one is gonna be useful for me.

viewtopic.php?t=499597 presents a musical programing environment and a language. I wasn't even aware that this kind of tools and systems could exist.

Making music enhances the gray matter in brain, so much to learn.

Okay, certainly. I interpreted your request as focused on VSTs. In that case, Supercollider has many, many resources. Might also want to check out CSound, where you can use Cabbage as a more accessible front end.

Why not work with a real musician, who can help you write music that won't sound like it was cobbled together by robot pokemon?

:-)

What is the best free software that can automatically generate polyphonic music from an input that consists of a melody and a chord progression? Does such software even exist?
Orb Composer does exactly that, and I already used it with a success at 3 tunes.

Don't know how's version 1.5, as it was changed and "improved" in this regard.

Also, it's quite a costly tool.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Benedict wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:34 pm ... like it was cobbled together by robot pokemon?
Do you know https://bachbot.com/#/?_k=vpywvx ?

Automatic composer programs and composer assistants that can do what bachbot does, and do it within every genre and with the same quality as bachbot, will become available for everybody I believe. Even our very ordinary DAWs will get some kind of composing and orchestration assistance as a standard feature.

Until that day the use of robot pokemons is OK by me.

I noticed how Orb Composer website presented the software, concentrating on the user role and emphasizing it, as if the output from the mindless calculation algorithms of the program were the artistic creations of the user. But I suspect there are and will be musicians who won't use these tools, ever, no matter how they are marketed.

You can't always get what you waaaant...

Not free, but there is always Band in a Box.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

harvon wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:37 pm
Benedict wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:34 pm ... like it was cobbled together by robot pokemon?

Automatic composer programs and composer assistants that can do what bachbot does, and do it within every genre and with the same quality as bachbot, will become available for everybody I believe. Even our very ordinary DAWs will get some kind of composing and orchestration assistance as a standard feature.

I noticed how Orb Composer website presented the software, concentrating on the user role and emphasizing it, as if the output from the mindless calculation algorithms of the program were the artistic creations of the user. But I suspect there are and will be musicians who won't use these tools, ever, no matter how they are marketed.
Amusing but that is not A.I. Vaguely advanced Heuristics maybe but it can't actually compose because it has nothing to say. It doesn't want to hold anybody's hand, rock a casbah, let alone the night & day, or wonder if it is what I am looking for...

The samples on that page alone don't sound like good music. Music is far more than right sounds, right notes, right mix, right master. Music is one human reaching out to another so until we have a true Positronic Man (Bicentennial Man if you only watch scrappy movies) we can't expect bots to make music with any value.

Rogers & Hammerbot, Elton John & Bot Taupin, Tim Rice & Andrew Lloyd Web-Bot are all names we will not be hearing.

To the OP: Use a human instead or you set yourself up for failure just as much as if you use a 4-story crane to try to build an 8-story building. I know humans are annoying but when you get it right this is where the magic is.

:-)

harvon wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:37 pm

From the site:
The BachBot Challenge: Can you tell the difference between Bach and a computer?
Yes, I can tell the difference. Bach is Bach, a computer is just an imitator. The era of the counterfeit music and composers who aren't able to compose music has begun...

lobanov wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:38 pm From the site:
The BachBot Challenge: Can you tell the difference between Bach and a computer?
Yes, I can tell the difference. Bach is Bach, a computer is just an imitator. The era of the counterfeit music and composers who aren't able to compose music has begun...
It started 20-30 years ago.

But in the last few weeks, I keep being hit with the, "Oh I can get a bot (or preset) to do this cheaper than you" thing.
I think, "Go for it, if you listened to that shallow shite and thought it was remotely like what I do then we have nothing in common anyway. Good luck with it."

It is scary when people are so willing to give away their humanity to feel so safe from any effort or human feelings.

:cry:

It is scary when people are so willing to give away their humanity to feel so safe from any effort or human feelings.
Humans are redundant and will be eliminated :borg:

No, seriously. If a tool can get you faster where you want than you would do on your own, why bother? For your own amusement? To brag in the Internet about "real musicans"? All this rumble form purists about "fake musicans" is meaningless whatsoever. The end listener will only hear what's streamed on Spotify - and not care whether it was composed by Bach himself or a drunk cat running through a keyboard.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”