When You Were Here Before

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
aldo.tessari
KVRist
42 posts since 5 Sep, 2019

Post Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:34 pm

wagtunes
KVRAF
17437 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: When You Were Here Before

Post Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:59 pm

Hey, the new guy around here's got some really cool stuff. May have to follow you on Soundcloud and check out more. Very well done.

insert-name-here
KVRist
288 posts since 9 Oct, 2008 from Holland, Den Haag

Post Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:17 pm

Yeah, cool track. What else to say, be a star :)
No sig yet :)

Bansaw
KVRian
793 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:19 pm

Some interesting bass stuff going on there. Like it.

metamorphosis
KVRAF
3861 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Post Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:07 pm

Was trying to work out what I was hearing that was wrong with the mixing here - it's an excellent track, don't get me wrong - your composing/production is good. But you need more eq separation - most of the instruments appear to be in the same space, eq-wise.
Try starting with this technique:
Solo your lowest instrument. Find the 'peak' frequency for it. Eg. 72hz.
Create an eq point with a high Q at this freq, then eqs with gradually smaller Q's at the multiples of this freq eq. 144hz, 288hz, all the way up.
Copy and paste this eq set to all other tracks.
Add and subtract at the given freqs as sounds appropriate for this first track until it sounds good to you.
Then do the same for the next-lowest track, but keeping the same making sure to negate to some extent in the peak freq of the first track. Keep both tracks active and adjust all subsequent freqs.
Then keep on going with all subsequent tracks, moving up the frequency spectrum. You may have to go back and adjust previous tracks as you go, as you find the dominant frequencies in each track.

Done right, this will create greater separation between your tracks and make them all sound both louder and more clear. In addition, mastering and bus compression will work better because the tracks won't be fighting each other for space. You'll end up with a better mix.

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
24960 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:38 pm

Nice and chilled, yet anthemic at the same time. I enjoyed the listen :tu:

aldo.tessari
KVRist

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:01 am

Equalizing a song, preserving a good separation of sounds is one of the things I pay great attention to.
I can't always achieve good results, this depends on the number of tracks and the sounds I use.
Lately I've been getting better results, first preparing the tracks with the addition of harmonics (eg with Saphira). It's a bit like simulating the use of a different preamplifier for each track. I thank you for the advice. They are always welcome. :wink:

metamorphosis
KVRAF
3861 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:14 pm

You should also try lo-pass/hi-passing more. Avoid adding harmonics until you have the eq as good as you want it - otherwise you end up with scratchy-sounding mixes without a lot of separation.

aldo.tessari
KVRist

Post Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:45 pm

I would like to explain better ... I use Saphira or similar tools before mixing the tracks. I print every single track by adding harmonics and making each track the best I can ...
Trying to use a different harmonic chart for each track.
A kind of tracking .....
Then I dedicate myself to mixing and then to apply the necessary cuts.
So first I see the sound of the single track then I put them together.
I learned this tracking technique as a kind of analog console simulation. Did I say something wrong ?

Return to “Music Cafe”