Spacey and experimental and some buried Emvoice somewhere, no disco

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
insert-name-here
KVRist
288 posts since 9 Oct, 2008 from Holland, Den Haag

Post Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:27 am

Still experimenting with Emvoice. Trying to add the element of vocals to my tracks. I also play some light piano :hihi:

https://soundcloud.com/insert-name-here/brown-dog
No sig yet :)

wagtunes
KVRAF
17437 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Spacey and experimental and some buried Emvoice somewhere, no disco

Post Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:19 pm

Well, I still don't hear anything in there that even closely resembles a human voice but musically, on its own, interesting piece and well done. Do you have it going through some analog tape emulation? Hearing some hiss. Sounds cool.

Would still like to hear Emvoice do a pop lead vocal if it's even possible. My guess is, based on what I've heard so far, is that it's beyond the limitations of what Emvoice can do.

insert-name-here
KVRist

Post Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Thanks for the comments Wagtunes. Yeah, emvoice is still a little buried in the track. It starts at the 1 minute 15 sec mark. It probably drowns in the delays too much. I may try a track with Emvoice more up front. I still like Emvoice better than the demos i heard of Vocaloid. And vocaloid has no demo (and a bit expensive, im not rich and have to choose my plugins wisely :)

I use RC20 Retro Color for some processing :tu:

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:39 pm

insert-name-here wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:36 pm
Thanks for the comments Wagtunes. Yeah, emvoice is still a little buried in the track. It starts at the 1 minute 15 sec mark. It probably drowns in the delays too much. I may try a track with Emvoice more up front. I still like Emvoice better than the demos i heard of Vocaloid. And vocaloid has no demo (and a bit expensive, im not rich and have to choose my plugins wisely :)
Then you have heard some horrible Vocaloid demos because from what I've heard so far, there absolutely no comparison between the two. But, to each his own I guess.

FWIW, I have lots of excellent Vocaloid songs that I have gotten a lot of great comments on.

insert-name-here
KVRist

Post Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:54 pm

Ah, thanks for the info, i will have to check that out!

Bansaw
KVRian
793 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:21 pm

Interesting piece. I could very slightly hear a hint of emvoice at 1:15 but not really noticeable. Wonder what would happen if it became less buried.

rodyy
KVRist
59 posts since 9 Mar, 2015 from Bangkok

Post Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:16 pm

Another cool track, pretty much as good as any album track from Boards of Canada. And sure, you can definitely produce entire songs with Emvoice, here are a few examples. https://soundcloud.com/emvoice/sets/songs-feat-lucy
Express Yourself.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:50 pm

rodyy wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:16 pm
Another cool track, pretty much as good as any album track from Boards of Canada. And sure, you can definitely produce entire songs with Emvoice, here are a few examples. https://soundcloud.com/emvoice/sets/songs-feat-lucy
Okay, listened to these tracks. For starters, all the vocals are mixed low in the mix. Almost like you're trying to best hide any "flaws" in the vocal quality. And let's be honest, all vocal simulations, including Vocaloid, have their flaws. That's why, at least as of now, they'll never replace real singers.

Having said that, I'd really like to hear Lucy up front in the mix like the way I mixed Avanna from Vocaloid in this track so you can hear her clearly, warts and all.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... lead-vocal

From what I can tell, comparing Emvoice to Vocaloid, Emvoice seems to have a more natural sounding voice in isolation taking it one note at a time. However, the transitions between notes seem to be more natural with Vocaloid, which has a more vocoder quality to its sound. Some Vocaloids better than others and some downright awful. Avanna is one of the better ones.

I'd be curious to hear what Lucy sounds like doing Clock On The Wall with the same decibel level as I used for Avanna. Lucy also seems to have more low end which tends to make her sound more muddy. Avanna has that same problem which is why I had to EQ her heavily. Other Vocaloids don't have to be EQ'd as much but then they suffer from the "Korean Vocoder" voice. Again, some worse than others. Early ones are especially bad.

Here's one of the newer Vocaloids (Diva) doing another original of mine. Not so much of a vocoder sound but has that Korean sound to her voice.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... va-on-lead

My apologies to the OP for posting these but you did ask about Vocaloid so I thought I'd let you hear a couple of examples.

Both Emvoice and Vocaloid appear to have their own strengths and weaknesses. Again, I'd like to hear a real up front Emvoice vocal so I can get the full quality of the voice.

And of course none of this even touches on how easy Emvoice is to use. While Vocaloid 5 is horrible and I don't use it, Vocaloid 4 Cubase version is a dream. The built in piano roll is extremely easy to use. Emvoice would have to be that easy for me to even consider it.

Anyway, what I heard here was better than I expected. A more up front vocal would pretty much sell me.

One last one before I go. This, also one of the newer Vocaloids, Cyber Songman. I think he has one of the best voices I've heard but he needs some serious EQ, again because of the low mids.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... ising-kane

Thanks for posting these samples. To the OP, I hope these Vocaloid songs help you decide if Vocaloid is or isn't right for you.

I'm still waiting for the perfect vocal simulator. I doubt I will see it in my lifetime.

insert-name-here
KVRist

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:09 am

Thanks for the examples Rodyy and Wagtunes. I think i will have to explore both Emvoice and Vocaloid (and vocoding :)
Of course technology doesn't stand still, and things will only improve with time.

Here is me doing some happy vocoding :)

https://soundcloud.com/insert-name-here/a-german-singer

Lyrics:

She was a german singer in a bar
we all knew she wasn't going to get far

insert-name-here
KVRist

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:16 am

Emvoice: Take Me Away. This is sounding pretty amazing.
Wagtunes: The Clock On The Wall. Yeah, i heard this one before. Really well done. One of the reasons i got interested in Vocaloid. Of course the melody and execution play an important part in the experience.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:25 am

insert-name-here wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:16 am
Emvoice: Take Me Away. This is sounding pretty amazing.
Wagtunes: The Clock On The Wall. Yeah, i heard this one before. Really well done. One of the reasons i got interested in Vocaloid. Of course the melody and execution play an important part in the experience.
Well of course. If the song sucks, it sucks. Clock On The Wall is probably one of the best songs I've ever written so that has a lot to do with how good Avanna sounds. Bad songs will still sound bad.

seismic1
KVRAF
9285 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:31 pm

rodyy wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:16 pm
Another cool track, pretty much as good as any album track from Boards of Canada.
Yup. I like it.

I've been playing with Emvoice, in conjunction with some of the more extreme B2 reverbs, and I think it's a great combination for use in ambient settings. I might try to harmonize this with some stretched IK vocal samples.

"toot" is another good word, if used with variant delays, for that JMJ Houston concert vibe.

Good work :)

insert-name-here
KVRist

Post Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:46 pm

Thanks for the listen Seismic1 :) Although Boards of Canada is in a Leage of their own!

jethrobull
KVRAF
1824 posts since 5 Jun, 2011 from England,UK

Post Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:45 pm

I enjoyed this track. Being a massive BOC fan I do think their style has been done to death but this has its own edge. Liked and followed. Good work!
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
myfeebleeffort
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

insert-name-here
KVRist

Post Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:21 am

jethrobull wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:45 pm
I enjoyed this track. Being a massive BOC fan I do think their style has been done to death but this has its own edge. Liked and followed. Good work!
Thanks for the listen, like and follow Jethrobull :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”