put melodies into piano roll.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
OussaBer
KVRer
6 posts since 14 Aug, 2019

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:15 am

It is hard for me to turn melodies in my head into piano roll section.And I don't know the solution for this problem, maybe there's a technique, but I don't know.

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
14875 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: put melodies into piano roll.

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:22 am

OussaBer wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:15 am
It is hard for me to turn melodies in my head into piano roll section.And I don't know the solution for this problem, maybe there's a technique, but I don't know.
I'm sure there are audio-to-midi solutions. However, maybe try to overcome the difficulties you are having, somehow. What is the main obstruction between the melody in your head and the screen?

Also, do you have a midi keyboard? Nothing wrong with piano-roll writing, but you might find that it is much quicker to translate ideas to actual music with the immediacy of a keyboard.

User avatar
DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
3349 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Re: put melodies into piano roll.

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:24 am

Try to whistle, then use some audio-to-midi converter. Such as the one built into Ableton.

Otherwise, it's pretty much unsolved issue everyone struggles with. :shrug:
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

OussaBer
KVRer
6 posts since 14 Aug, 2019

Re: put melodies into piano roll.

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:33 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:22 am
OussaBer wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:15 am
It is hard for me to turn melodies in my head into piano roll section.And I don't know the solution for this problem, maybe there's a technique, but I don't know.
I'm sure there are audio-to-midi solutions. However, maybe try to overcome the difficulties you are having, somehow. What is the main obstruction between the melody in your head and the screen?

Also, do you have a midi keyboard? Nothing wrong with piano-roll writing, but you might find that it is much quicker to translate ideas to actual music with the immediacy of a keyboard.
And if I found the melody how can I find the exact chords for it ?

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
14875 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: put melodies into piano roll.

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:45 am

OussaBer wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:33 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:22 am
OussaBer wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:15 am
It is hard for me to turn melodies in my head into piano roll section.And I don't know the solution for this problem, maybe there's a technique, but I don't know.
I'm sure there are audio-to-midi solutions. However, maybe try to overcome the difficulties you are having, somehow. What is the main obstruction between the melody in your head and the screen?

Also, do you have a midi keyboard? Nothing wrong with piano-roll writing, but you might find that it is much quicker to translate ideas to actual music with the immediacy of a keyboard.
And if I found the melody how can I find the exact chords for it ?
There are no "exact" chords. There are many options/permutations that can be underpin notes in a melody line. You could take the time to learn music theory, or buy a midi keyboard that has enough octaves to let you experiment with chords and melodies at the same time. Actually, better to do both :tu:

jp008
KVRist
44 posts since 15 Oct, 2010

Re: put melodies into piano roll.

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:29 am

Spontaneity, like improvisational jazz. Just make it rhyme.

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
5114 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: put melodies into piano roll.

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:13 am

Based on what you have said above, I would suggest two things:

1. Get a MIDI keyboard so you can play the notes
2. Learn music theory - that’s how you can determine the chords that should fit to a melody, although as others have suggested, you can always experiment and see what sounds good to your ear

User avatar
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
24960 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Re: put melodies into piano roll.

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:37 am

OussaBer wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:15 am
It is hard for me to turn melodies in my head into piano roll section.And I don't know the solution for this problem, maybe there's a technique, but I don't know.
Learn to play an instrument, and some music theory. That'll do it ...

OussaBer
KVRer
6 posts since 14 Aug, 2019

Re: put melodies into piano roll.

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:13 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:45 am
OussaBer wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:33 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:22 am
OussaBer wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:15 am
It is hard for me to turn melodies in my head into piano roll section. And I don't know the solution for this problem, maybe there's a technique, but I don't know.
I'm sure there are audio-to-midi solutions. However, maybe try to overcome the difficulties you are having, somehow. What is the main obstruction between the melody in your head and the screen?

Also, do you have a midi keyboard? Nothing wrong with piano-roll writing, but you might find that it is much quicker to translate ideas to actual music with the immediacy of a keyboard.
And if I found the melody how can I find the exact chords for it ?
There are no "exact" chords. There are many options/permutations that can be underpin notes in a melody line. You could take the time to learn music theory, or buy a midi keyboard that has enough octaves to let you experiment with chords and melodies at the same time. Actually, better to do both :tu:
Thanks a lot, and one more thing. What is the best way to learn music theory ?

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
14875 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: put melodies into piano roll.

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:22 am

OussaBer wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:13 am
What is the best way to learn music theory ?
The best way is the way you find to be the best. Some people learn better on their own with a book. Others will prefer to be in a group/classroom setting. Some will do fine with internet websites and Youtube videos, and others will prefer to pay for a video tutorial course from somewhere like Udemy, AskAudio or Groove3. It all depends on your preference, financial situation and dedication.

You also need to decide whether you want to get a full foundation, from square one, or whether you are only interested in certain aspects of theory.

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
14875 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: put melodies into piano roll.

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:24 am

There's also a forum, here on KVR, dedicated to music theory, although I'm not sure I'd recommend it :scared:

OussaBer
KVRer
6 posts since 14 Aug, 2019

Re: put melodies into piano roll.

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:37 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:24 am
There's also a forum, here on KVR, dedicated to music theory, although I'm not sure I'd recommend it :scared:
I appreciate your help, and I want to thank you one more time. That was really helpful.

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
14875 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: put melodies into piano roll.

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:38 am

OussaBer wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:37 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:24 am
There's also a forum, here on KVR, dedicated to music theory, although I'm not sure I'd recommend it :scared:
I appreciate your help, and I want to thank you one more time. That was really helpful.
You're welcome! Any other questions, just ask :tu:

tomx2188
KVRer
21 posts since 13 Mar, 2019 from Austria

Re: put melodies into piano roll.

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:37 am

Interesting that no one mentioned ear training or transcribing!

I find it very easy to write down melodies that I have in my head, and I don't have a midi keyboard or very deep music theory knowledge.
It's easy for me because I learned to play electric guitar and got into the habit of transcribing guitar solos: listening to every single note, figuring it out, writing it down and making sure it sounds right when I play it.

That's the sort of training that will eventually make your hearing more precise, you'll be able to detect more details and subtleties, and will rely much less on having to "guess notes".
In the beginning, using already transcribed material to double-check will help out a lot (tons of guitar tabs everywhere, varying quality though!), but you'll resort to that much less as your skill develops over time.

Writing down melodies you can hear in your head is basically the same process, and at some point that will be like riding a bike. As a side effect (at least for me) simply having that skill also makes it much more enjoyable to listen to music! :)

That being said, a midi keyboard (or any applicable instrument) will be extremely useful to learn that skill due to its immediacy.
At some point listening to different styles is also useful. Choice of notes depends on that a lot, and ideally you don't want your hearing to be biased by that too much :D

OussaBer
KVRer
6 posts since 14 Aug, 2019

Re: put melodies into piano roll.

Post Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:58 am

Oh, I understand. And yes that's important too, lot of producers like Martin Garrix rely on their hearing. Your answer was very interesting. Thank you for your time, that was really helpful.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”