Behringer TD-3 Analog Bass Line Synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The worst thing with Behringer's new line of synth clones is not if they sound authentic or not, it's that I don't have any room for them, unless I move to a larger flat. But in that case the average price on each synth will go up, remarkably :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

To me the td-3 sounds brighter than the tb-303. Something i' ve noticed in other Behringer clones (I guess it was the K-2).

Still a very nice machine for Acid though.

https://youtu.be/zeXqTsfT2Lk

https://youtu.be/fcC572m8rHs

https://youtu.be/i6TI_qrbwcw

SLiC wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:52 pm Most of the simple fixed architecture mono synths I have with WYSIWYG controls don't need preset memory, it really doesn't take long to get to the basic sound you want (or even a great deal of skill) once you know your way around.
Yes, there's nothing to get an audience going like looking at the top of your head while you spend a couple of minutes dialling up the next sound. Brilliantly entertaining.
I am quote happy with the Model D and Odyssey the ay they are, once you add that 'screen' and call up sounds that are not represented by the switch and pot positions, it just looses its simplicity and beauty for me.
If that's true, you are one very sad person. There is no simplicity in having to create a template and record the positions of every control for sounds you might need to use again at some point, I can assure you. A synth without a patch memory is a toy. I had a Korg Mono/Poly and it was useless on stage so I never bothered with it at all. Using it to do anything always felt like a waste of time. Anything more complicated than an Arp Axxe or Waldorf Rocket will take way too long to patch during a live show.
SLiC wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 pmI have the Behringer Odyssey and you will love it...the sequencer and fx have memory, but you don’t need it for the synth, you can almost hear how it sounds from looking at the top panel...the sliders want to be moved, not left static and your synth programming, visualisation and interaction with sound will probably improve (whilst having fun!)
What a load of absolute twaddle. I know how any synth will sound by looking at the GUI in Cubase, I don't need hardware for that experience. Come back to us in five years when your sliders are full of dust and make horrible scratching noises in the output when you move them and tell us again how great it is.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:23 am
SLiC wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:52 pm Most of the simple fixed architecture mono synths I have with WYSIWYG controls don't need preset memory, it really doesn't take long to get to the basic sound you want (or even a great deal of skill) once you know your way around.
Yes, there's nothing to get an audience going like looking at the top of your head while you spend a couple of minutes dialling up the next sound. Brilliantly entertaining.
I am quote happy with the Model D and Odyssey the ay they are, once you add that 'screen' and call up sounds that are not represented by the switch and pot positions, it just looses its simplicity and beauty for me.
If that's true, you are one very sad person. There is no simplicity in having to create a template and record the positions of every control for sounds you might need to use again at some point, I can assure you. A synth without a patch memory is a toy. I had a Korg Mono/Poly and it was useless on stage so I never bothered with it at all. Using it to do anything always felt like a waste of time. Anything more complicated than an Arp Axxe or Waldorf Rocket will take way too long to patch during a live show.
SLiC wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 pmI have the Behringer Odyssey and you will love it...the sequencer and fx have memory, but you don’t need it for the synth, you can almost hear how it sounds from looking at the top panel...the sliders want to be moved, not left static and your synth programming, visualisation and interaction with sound will probably improve (whilst having fun!)
What a load of absolute twaddle. I know how any synth will sound by looking at the GUI in Cubase, I don't need hardware for that experience. Come back to us in five years when your sliders are full of dust and make horrible scratching noises in the output when you move them and tell us again how great it is.
I find your posts quite entertaining...and by the way, I only play guitar live, I wouldn’t be seen dead playing a synth live, they are just for background noises in the studio :wink:

I remember well you dozen or so posts explaining to me why I was an idiot for buying the UNO...then you bought one! I expect I will see you posting that you bought TD 3 at some point and how everyone who doesn’t think it’s great is an idiot, especially the ones who think such a simple device needs presets!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

People who think a 303 needs sound presets really don't get the point of a 303. You don't "dial up a sound" on it, you just press play and start turning the knobs.
Even the ABL3 plugin doesn't have presets, because it's simply not needed. The only thing you need to be able store and recall are the patterns. Both the original TB-303 and the Behringer TD-3 have pattern memory, and on ABL3 you can store an unlimited amount of patterns on your harddisk.

Before we start running with this idea, let me clarify once again that when I talked about presets I was talking about analog synths in general (like Behringer Pro 1 etc) , not the td-3.

In fact, I think we were specifically talking about Odyssey. It's obvious there is no point in having presets in a 303 clone - no matter what you do, you'll never get a sound worth saving.
SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:28 amI remember well you dozen or so posts explaining to me why I was an idiot for buying the UNO...then you bought one!
If that's the case your memory is faulty because I bought a Uno the first time I got to play with one. What I might have called you an idiot for was pre-ordering one sight unseen, based on a couple of carefully curated Youtube videos, because I was hugely skeptical about it (whilst also hoping it might be as good as it seemed).
Reefius wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:49 am People who think a 303 needs sound presets really don't get the point of a 303. You don't "dial up a sound" on it, you just press play and start turning the knobs.
No, that is just something else that has no point.
Even the ABL3 plugin doesn't have presets, because it's simply not needed.
Of course it's not, the host application will remember the settings with the rest of the song. And that is the point of presets - so you can play your songs the way people expect them to sound, rather than something vaguely, sorta, a little like the sound in the recorded version that got them to show up to your gig in the first place. In the end it's about respect for your audience and/or fan base.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Doesn’t like 303, spends time in 303 thread :dog:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

BONES wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:03 am In fact, I think we were specifically talking about Odyssey.
OFF TOPIC!

BONES wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:03 am And that is the point of presets - so you can play your songs the way people expect them to sound, rather than something vaguely, sorta, a little like the sound in the recorded version that got them to show up to your gig in the first place. In the end it's about respect for your audience and/or fan base.
oh.... so is that why you bought loads of synths to play live, specifically so it sounds different to the recording?

BONES wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:03 am In fact, I think we were specifically talking about Odyssey. It's obvious there is no point in having presets in a 303 clone - no matter what you do, you'll never get a sound worth saving.
Happy to talk about the Odyssey and the 1000's of people who famously played live with it without memories, in fact I woudl think one of the main reasons the synth was famous and was marketed as a "performance" synthesizer.

This is however a thread on the TD-3, so I think its fair to say that most people agree it doesn't need memories to be useful (irrespective of if you like the sound) and that some of us think even more complex synths don't need memories to be useful musically the way that some people use them (or there would be no modular/eurorack stuff in existence)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

BONES wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:23 am
I used various classic mono synths without patch memorys when playing live over many years. Never had an issue dialling in the "right" sound on stage. Maybe its difficult for you BONES, but fortunately we're not all the same. Calling someone "sad" because they are more capable than you is what's really sad.

Reefius wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:49 am People who think a 303 needs sound presets really don't get the point of a 303. You don't "dial up a sound" on it, you just press play and start turning the knobs.
Even the ABL3 plugin doesn't have presets, because it's simply not needed. The only thing you need to be able store and recall are the patterns. Both the original TB-303 and the Behringer TD-3 have pattern memory, and on ABL3 you can store an unlimited amount of patterns on your harddisk.
We kind of have presets (i.e store knob position with pattern), but most users don't use this feature because as you mention it's not really needed.

Looking forward to getting my hands on a TD-3, hopefully we can implement an import pattern feature from this :)
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

Mike Janney wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:09 pm
We kind of have presets (i.e store knob position with pattern), but most users don't use this feature because as you mention it's not really needed.

Looking forward to getting my hands on a TD-3, hopefully we can implement an import pattern feature from this :)
I was looking to import a midi file to ABL3 last night but couldn’t find an option? Thought that’d be possible seeing as you can export one and we have the other import options. Or I have I missed it?

I think the TD-3 software can import/export midi files so it would be an easy way to transfer patterns between the two.

Cheers
Alex
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”