drums

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Folks,

What is your way of laying down drums for your tracks? Im fed up with messing about with kick samples etc - never seems to sound good enough. Thinking of buying kick 2? I produce trance and sound design of drums doesnt interest me - what i want is once i have got a track going with synths etc I want to quickly get some decent drum parts in without too much messing about.

Any thoughts? Im sure there is a product out there smilar to logics drum synth but better?

Confused.

Doesn’t want to design kicks, asks about kick synth.

:shrug:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:26 pm Confused.

Ever heard about presets? (though you probably don't :) )

Don't own Kick2 myself (yet) but it seems to be highly rated by trance producers
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

haha
Im sort of looking for a drum rompler perhaps - just something to lay it all down quickly?

recursive one wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:29 pm

Don't own Kick2 myself (yet) but it seems to be highly rated by trance producers
Well all i currently have is the logic presets and to my ear they are not very good at all.

recursive one wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:29 pm

I have one preset called INIT :D

I’m struggling to find the difference between presets and samples though. Sure the former can be edited but the OP sounds as though he doesn’t want to do that.

Kick2 is superb though. The only kick machine I’ll ever need.

Bob Slydell wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:30 pm

haha
Im sort of looking for a drum rompler perhaps - just something to lay it all down quickly?
Kick 2 isn’t a rompler though.

If I were you I’d look just look at professional sample packs.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:48 pmKick2 is superb though.
And might be worth taking a look at D16 PunchBox. Maybe not quite as flexible as Kick2, but looks like it might be a bit quicker to get results.

Also, maybe see if someone is selling their copy of the NI TRK 'Kick' unit. Was originally given away as a gift, so should probably go pretty cheaply, here on KVR.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:55 pm
And might be worth taking a look at D16 PunchBox. Maybe not quite as flexible as Kick2, but looks like it might be a bit quicker to get results.

Also, maybe see if someone is selling their copy of the NI TRK 'Kick' unit. Was originally given away as a gift, so should probably go pretty cheaply, here on KVR.
Great suggestions. I hear lots of good things about both.

Oops! Missed the bit about not wanting to design kicks.

Ultimately, I think there will always be some design that will go into kicks. Even if you have samples, they'll normally need some layering and massaging to fit into your track. Logic's samples might not seem so hot on their own, but try layering a few (Sub, Punch, Click), and process them as a group.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:55 pm

Will download the trial for punchbox tonight.

Thanks for all the suggestions

BTW, how does the OP find time in between asking what we do here?

I only have 1 boss ;)

Bob Slydell wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:22 pm what i want is once i have got a track going with synths etc I want to quickly get some decent drum parts in without too much messing about.
If you want a temporary solution to avoid getting stuck with drum selection during the song writing process, I'd recommend making a folder with 20 or so kick samples that are generally representative of what you like. Just pick the one that works best during song writing and then come back and tweak or replace it during the production phase of the project.

If you are fed up with drum work altogether, I'd try and find someone to collaborate with. Drums - both sounds and patterns - are too important in electronic music and you will have a hard time getting even decent results if you don't enjoy what you're doing.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:59 pm BTW, how does the OP find time in between asking what we do here?

I only have 1 boss ;)
the missus? :hihi:

vurt wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:22 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:59 pm BTW, how does the OP find time in between asking what we do here?

I only have 1 boss ;)
the missus? :hihi:
Does Sir know Bob Slydell?

Return to “Production Techniques”