Anybody got an opinion on Voices of Soul by EastWest - are you using it other genres ?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
MasterTuner
KVRist
217 posts since 30 May, 2018

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:54 pm

I like the sound of Voices of Soul.
But I am worried it might be stuck in one genre.
Is anyone using it for more modern EDM or any other genres ?
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

wagtunes
KVRAF
17473 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Anybody got an opinion on Voices of Soul by EastWest - are you using it other genres ?

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:15 pm

As an owner of almost all the EWQL stuff, all their voices tend to get pigeon holed and there isn't enough source material to really stretch it to where you can just use it and use without reaching a point where you're like "I did this already." In short, they're gimmicky and have to be used sparingly, which is why I rarely use them at all anymore.

But that's going to be true of just about any vocal product unless it comes with like 200 GIG of samples. And even then you're going to reach a tipping point.

Nothing beats custom vocals. That's just the reality.

YMMV depending on how you intend to use their product.

thejonsolo
KVRAF
2218 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Charleston, SC

Re: Anybody got an opinion on Voices of Soul by EastWest - are you using it other genres ?

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:19 pm

I have used it in a funk track and also a blues track. There are some elements that might work within EDM (if you think more in the Daft Punk arena). You will not get similar result as, say for example, vocal clips that you can edit and manipulate.

But using this in a "thinking out of the box" situation is a great idea. What I would question is the value of the return versus the initial cost of this library. It is not a cheap library, and snagging some vocal packs and putting them into a sampler might offer more flexibility. Still, there is a lot of content in Voices of Soul and it is consistent across keys and articulations.

MasterTuner
KVRist
217 posts since 30 May, 2018

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:04 am

thanks @wagtunes & @thejonsolo... Voices of Soul is $101 at JRR shop right now. Which is a good price if it gets good usage, but as has been said, it might be limited in its scope. Its actually very inspirational to sing along to, but my genre is not really funk or soul. If I could convince myself that I could use it outside the box, then I might go for it.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

wagtunes
KVRAF
17473 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:20 am

MasterTuner wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:04 am
thanks @wagtunes & @thejonsolo... Voices of Soul is $101 at JRR shop right now. Which is a good price if it gets good usage, but as has been said, it might be limited in its scope. Its actually very inspirational to sing along to, but my genre is not really funk or soul. If I could convince myself that I could use it outside the box, then I might go for it.
Fitting a square peg in a round hole doesn't usually work too well. Ultimately, it's your money and your decision. As a loyal EWQL customer I say your money is well spent elsewhere.

Elektronisch
KVRAF
3572 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:04 am

MasterTuner wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:04 am
First of all, go to Getting Started and read the forum rules, this kind of thread does not belong here :)

Other thing, actually the only limitation is your own imagination :)

It can be used in EDM at least seeing in the walkthrough and also in my vision, if it can be used by your creative aspects, who knows :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5kNGjtJiWQ

Return to “Instruments”