The poverty of "you're old so you just don't get it"

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
herodotus
KVRAF
5608 posts since 8 Dec, 2004 from The Twin Cities

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:02 am

foosnark wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:44 am

As for the OP... there has probably never been a period in recorded history when somebody wasn't writing about how civilization was doomed and the culture is in a sad state and the youth are terrible and lazy and disrespectful and/or the olds are terrible and shortsighted and stuck in their ways. Yet here we still are.
Sure. But my point was that some of those gloomy people were right. People saying "everything is going to hell in a handbasket" in the waning years of the Weimar republic were absolutely correct and their contemporaries were stupid not to listen to them.

Forgotten
KVRAF
5053 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: The poverty of "you're old so you just don't get it"

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:03 am

One thing I will say: when I was younger I told myself that I would not be like my parents' generation and dislike music because it was too outlandish, or because the musicianship was less than stellar, or because the lyrics were offensive, etc. Never in a million years did I imagine that my interest in current music would wane because it became so staid and formulaic.

Of course, reasons are just different perspectives...

herodotus
KVRAF
5608 posts since 8 Dec, 2004 from The Twin Cities

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:17 am

Forgotten wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:03 am
One thing I will say: when I was younger I told myself that I would not be like my parents' generation and dislike music because it was too outlandish, or because the musicianship was less than stellar, or because the lyrics were offensive, etc. Never in a million years did I imagine that my interest in current music would wane because it became so staid and formulaic.

Of course, reasons are just different perspectives...
You see, my mom was a musician, and when she said that Kiss was godawful, she was right. It made me embarrassed that I'd brought home a copy of one of their albums. Later, when I brought home 'Close to the Edge' by Yes (12 years after it was released), she still didn't like it, but she said straight away that they were obviously excellent musicians.

I realize that taste is largely subjective, but it isn't exclusively subjective. This whole idea that you are forever a prisoner of your knee-jerk reactions is true only for people who are pathologically unreflective.

Bodhisan
KVRian
577 posts since 7 Aug, 2015 from H2O

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:51 am

This goes perfectly with a movie my wife and I just watched - β€œFirst Reformed.” I would add that with every young generation who saw the writing on the wall, therein was included a modest if not large chunk of old fogies who recognized and feared the same writing.

vurt
addled muppet weed
53180 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:56 am

as ive recently become a granddad, can i just add, grrr kids today.

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:38 am

actually, my granddaughter seems to enjoy a bit of nwa and some of the solo stuff.
im sure her taste will change as she gets older, but im off to a good start :)

fairlyclose
KVRist
111 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:59 am

new wave, old water

Forgotten
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:11 pm

vurt wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:56 am
You're probably also entitled to start calling music "this modern rubbish"

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:13 pm

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:11 pm
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:56 am
You're probably also entitled to start calling music "this modern rubbish"
you call this music? in my day songs had a message, here listen to this...
/puts on throbbing gristle - discipline

telecode
KVRian
1189 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:16 pm

Never in a million years did I imagine that my interest in current music would wane because it became so staid and formulaic.
I think that's a very interesting comment and observation.

Given the leaps and bounds in music making hardware and software and the sheer number of people jumping on the music making bandwagon, you would think there would be more people trying to use the music making tools in new and unconventional ways or trying to use the tools to break rules and break boundaries. But it seems they are using the tools and just applying the already established formulas of what the music genre they are making has deemed the norm.
Just a keep on a goin' a forward, without a single ounce of fear

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:18 pm

telecode wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:16 pm
Never in a million years did I imagine that my interest in current music would wane because it became so staid and formulaic.

Given the leaps and bounds in music making hardware and software and the sheer number of people jumping on the music making bandwagon, you would think there would be more people trying to use the music making tools in new and unconventional ways or trying to use the tools to break rules and break boundaries. But it seems they are using the tools and just applying the already established formulas of what the music genre they are making has deemed the norm.
or is that just the stuff you hear because you search for "insert genre" when on music sites?

(you in general, not you in particular)

AudioAlien
KVRist
77 posts since 22 Apr, 2019

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:35 pm

One thing I will say: when I was younger I told myself that I would not be like my parents' .....
I turned out like someone else's parents.

hivkorn
KVRAF
3132 posts since 6 Sep, 2007 from France

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:47 pm

What about us not old and not young ?
We don t created this situation but we will not fix it.
In term of music, i would say there was a era BEFORE autotune and after autotune....
Yesterday it was NRJ music award in France...it was just ridiculous.
The only things i enjoyed was Tones and I...
Actual music need a new messiah and maybe a new club 27 member to change everything.

Aloysius
KVRAF
24983 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:30 pm

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:38 am
actually, my granddaughter seems to enjoy a bit of The Nolan Sisters
Weirdo
Hi-de-Hi!

Forgotten
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:43 pm

telecode wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:16 pm

Well specifically, I was talking about popular music, as I just don't see anyone taking risks anymore - if you don't produce something that sits within the comfort zone of the record company, then you're unlikely to get much publicity behind it.

Return to β€œEverything Else (Music related)”