How to calibrate your ears for mixing?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
xandde1
KVRist
111 posts since 12 Nov, 2018

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi, everyone! =)

I’ve been noticing more and more how what I hear before mixing affects my results. For example, if I listen to a heavy metal track full of guitars to “tune” my ears, the final mix of the tracking I’m working on tends to sound a bit harsher in the high mids. On the other side, if I listen to a good vibes acoustic song before mixing, my ears tend to tolerate less midrange harshness and I end up cutting more of that region.

So, how do you calibrate your ears before mixing to get a flatter result?

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
24973 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Re: How to calibrate your ears for mixing?

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:42 pm

I don't know if I'd call it calibrating my ears. but I sometimes listen to commercial music in a similar style to what I'm mixing as a guideline or comparison.

crimsonwarlock
KVRAF
2261 posts since 18 Apr, 2001 from The Netherlands

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:18 am

Don't listen to (loud) music right before a mixing session, and learn how to use reference tracks.

Also, take regular breaks during longer mixing sessions.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Googly Smythe
KVRAF
2555 posts since 12 May, 2011 from Not where I was just now.

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:14 am

Do your serious mixing in the morning, while your ears are fresh. Your ears will be much more tired in the evening, no matter how much you "calibrate" them.

And really get to know your speakers.
Bandcamp - Soundcloud
What is life without a little whimsy?

Return to “Production Techniques”