Need advice with mixing

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Brandon203113
KVRist
102 posts since 25 Sep, 2018

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:51 pm

Lets say i'm aiming for a style of mix that has 4 elements melodic wise
Bassline
Chords
Leads
background arpeggio

So lets say i work on the primary focal points first,
I get the bassline chords and lead to take up practically all the mix loudness wise, cuz i mix as i go
So my track sounds professional, but the client wants the arpeggio to be in the mix as a stylistic choice and i agree...

But since the mix is full already i cant find room, infact the second i play the arp at a relative volume to where i imagine it would sound good theres much clashing...
But since theres so much clashing i feel i don't know where to start cuz it sounds bad...

What order of operations should i take to fit this arp inside the mix???
Do i solo the most important element and then mix it against that arp and do this 1 by 1?
Or do i group all the other elements and do a group eq just to get it fitting in the mix for starters???
Any advice would be appreciative...
I'm doing this in mono to begin with because i want it to sound good on crappy speakers, so i would appreciate it if you werent just like "try putting something in stereo"

imrae
KVRian
834 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Re: Need advice with mixing

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:36 pm

What kind of clashing do you mean? If you don't like the way the note pitches are clashing, then the composition needed work even when they were quiet. If some frequency ranges are building up, carve with EQ.

BertKoor
KVRAF
11306 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:49 am

Hard to advice without hearing it...
But maybe play with the filter (possibly also ADSR) of the arpeggio to make it stand out and clash less. You need some contrasts, in whatever form.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
24958 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:14 am

Without hearing the track its hard to know, but I would start by eqing the arp until it fits into the mix. Perhaps try a band pass filter first ...

Return to “Production Techniques”