Bitwig 3.1 - are you upgrading?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trancit wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:08 am To me it seems like the initial transients of the other unsoloed clips are already in the sound buffer and make noise on playback even if their source is muted...
I don´t know if this is the reason but I got 10ms latency here and the clicks here sound to be about the same duration...
This. I’ve been doing a ton of layering these last few weeks and when I’m auditioning short click samples to layer with a kick sample, for example, I can clearly hear it’s the last click I auditioned coming through again. it’s like it’s stuck in the buffer for one more play.
-JH

Wow, I remember this click bug from version 1, was one of the reasons I never upgraded since then. Will keep an eye on this though and probably come back to Bitwig when they fix it.

That got me thinking... I also remember a bug where sometimes, usually when a project gets really big, if you moved a midi clip from one track to another, whenever it plays, it would play the instrument from the original track it was on. Has this one been fixed?

SLiC wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:47 am
newtobitwig wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:42 am
SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:58 pm I'm curious, why did you buy a DAW that doesn't have track comping if you need track comping?
You should probably change your user name now if you have moved on :hihi:
The thing is, as i said, We could live without track comping. I just used another daw for recordings and stuff and rest I used Bitwig,but the clicks and pops everytime i solo a track really sucked. All the good things about bitwig and all the cool modulation stuff are not worth it if I can't even produce a track with ease.I bought it thinking the clicks problem might be only a small bug and will be fixed in upcoming x.y.Z update. But it never did and sadly I had to part ways.
Indeed, clicks and pops are never acceptable in any type of DAW! I don't have this issue (I can only assume most dont or no one would be using it!) so I can't realy help, but I know how you feel as I did once have this problem and it was down to my sound card having a different buffer size to the buffer set in BWS...took me months to work that out!

Hopefully it will get sorted at some point and you can demo and come back @ some future version (It may even have comping before Live gets it :wink: )!
SLiC, if you have the time and feel like it, drag about a 100 audio samples into BWS, punchy kicks will do, nice transients, so you have about a 100 tracks in the arranger. Now mute them all and solo one, hit play, let it loop, stop. Now unmute any random track, hit play, stop it. Mute that same track and hit play again. Does it click? Unmute them all, solo one, hit play, stop it. Solo two, hit play, stop it. Mute one of the two you just soloed, hit play. Does it click? Do this again and again with other tracks, take your time. Do you get a click at all?

I'm just curious because if you don't get a click I'd like to know what exactly you did in your system, if you're willing to share. I'm not sure it will help, I don't think you're on macOS but I might get something out of it to potentially solve it on mine if possible. Someone else might fix theirs too. This does not happen with other DAWS I've tested on my system so it seems to be BWS specific which makes me doubt anything will help on my end but I'm willing to try.

As mentioned by kdogg, when working with midi/vsti's the issue is not present. Not on my system anyways. It's only with audio in Bitwig specifically, which sucks because I bounce asap and often just straight record performances and or vocals.

It's cool if you don't feel like it. No worries at all.
-JH

Kongru wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:38 am
John_T wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:21 pm I'm not upgrading. I am selling mine £180 with updates to 19th May 2010. Listed in KVR Sell & Buy.
Wow, that's retro! :-o
May 2020

Price dropped to £170 :)

I upgraded even though I didn’t have to... took advantage of the discount price and now am good through June 2021

I like where Bitwig is going!

Since GPU acceleration now obviously is coming, I think this alone makes this a worthy update. Personally this was the most important point for me of all. If the GUI is fluent and not limiting, it is very nice to work with.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:36 am Since GPU acceleration now obviously is coming, I think this alone makes this a worthy update. Personally this was the most important point for me of all. If the GUI is fluent and not limiting, it is very nice to work with.
But is it also available on Windows? All the reports so far were mentioning OSX. Do I really have to upgrade to find an answer to this? ;)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

kdogg wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:22 am Unfortunately the click and pops solo bug is a common issue - driver is unrelated, usually happens with audio and especially larger track counts. If you’re working mostly with midi you probably won’t ever notice it. Bitwig is my favorite DAW and really hope they fix that bug in the near future, can be a huge drag for sure - especially if you need to send someone stems and you can’t tell if the pop is on the file or not, you have to play everything twice to make sure.
Im not glad it’s happening, but Im glad others are speaking out. Brought up a popping and clicking a couple months ago and many, including Bitwig support, said it’s normal due to zero crossing when starting/stopping midway through a sample. This is honestly complete BS because if I have the same exact pattern via midi, with same sounds, it never clicks. With audio, clicks non stop. Now that Im getting into recording with audio more often, Ill eventually stop using Bitwig and move to Logic. Bitwig really needs to add a fade in/out to the audio playback when start/stop is pressed. If a clip clicks because the fader isnt set right, understandable. But on start/stop? Not cool. Not to mention the clicks are extremely ear fatiguing.

antic604 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:37 pm
Hanz Meyzer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:36 am Since GPU acceleration now obviously is coming, I think this alone makes this a worthy update. Personally this was the most important point for me of all. If the GUI is fluent and not limiting, it is very nice to work with.
But is it also available on Windows? All the reports so far were mentioning OSX. Do I really have to upgrade to find an answer to this? ;)
I could be persuaded to upgrade too, with knowledge it should work upon any GPU-enabled system.
Of course, things could be quite different for me, as I run Linux. Although, all my current GPU-enabled apps are able to find my nVidia 1070 and use the CUDA cores, video acceleration, etc. just fine. I'd suspect BWS should do the same; I'm not going to upgrade just to find out though.

I think when GPU accleration for all platforms is realized it will be clearly stated in the changelog...
As long as it isn´t mentioned... no need for buying something just to be disappointed afterwards.

antic604 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:37 pm
I'd guess the developers are trying to get Mac support done first, as it's more difficult (Metal, and OpenGL). Once they've got the Mac side sorted it shouldn't be long before Windows and Linux have support. I wouldn't even be surprised if it happens in this 3.1 beta cycle.

antic604 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:37 pm But is it also available on Windows? All the reports so far were mentioning OSX. Do I really have to upgrade to find an answer to this? ;)
Yeah, true I cannot tell you. Only the Bitwig team can. As I know them, they will stay stubborn, and pretend in the change logs to public this never was a topic and now magically the mac version speeded up.

You might simply ask them at beta@ .

That's true. Obviously some OpenGL layer already is implemented, so then porting this to Windows is very easy (crossplatform compatibility is the main reason why developers dealt with opengl).

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:23 amYeah, true I cannot tell you. Only the Bitwig team can. As I know them, they will stay stubborn, and pretend in the change logs to public this never was a topic and now magically the mac version speeded up.
No, I don't want to ask the devs. They're obiously working on it to have it implemented eventually.

ALL I'm asking is for someone currently on 3.1 beta on Windows to check if GPU is used in any meaningful way, like it - supposedly - is on OSX. That's all :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Broken wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:22 am ... Once they've got the Mac side sorted ...
Soooo, who is actually going to pay for this BS? Charging mac upgrades extra, to compensate the lost time and wasted resources, maybe. Or lower the Linux and Win upgrades.
You know, I have never ever had any problems with graphics at all, several configs, large projects, since V1, so.

Return to “Bitwig”