Tonic

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
mindstuff
KVRist
123 posts since 20 Mar, 2019

Post Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:42 am

I had to take a long drive today so got to listen to like 6 hours of music I've been meaning to really listen to....got home and made a track in like 4 hours...fastest ever. Its short but I feel I got it out. Thoughts, ideas, comments, questions? Thx.

https://soundcloud.com/user-117743396/tonic

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15241 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: Tonic

Post Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:34 am

Mellow tune. Really like the sound palette :tu: Kept 'threatening' to break out of it's chains, but never did, which is a shame given the framework you set up for it to happen.

Great job :tu:

mindstuff
KVRist
123 posts since 20 Mar, 2019

Post Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:35 pm

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:34 am
Mellow tune. Really like the sound palette :tu: Kept 'threatening' to break out of it's chains, but never did, which is a shame given the framework you set up for it to happen.

Its funny how you pointed out in my previous track it lacked contrast and I think I knew that subconsciously because I felt I did more of that in this track but now you're right on another point (the release or climax to the story)...it needs one section that sustains that buildup and plays it out more before heading to maybe an outro or another break. Another great insight that is helpful. Thx.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15241 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:44 pm

mindstuff wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:35 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:34 am

Its funny how you pointed out in my previous track it lacked contrast and I think I knew that subconsciously because I felt I did more of that in this track but now you're right on another point (the release or climax to the story)...it needs one section that sustains that buildup and plays it out more before heading to maybe an outro or another break. Another great insight that is helpful. Thx.
In terms of the other track, and the theme of contrast, I was referring more to sound and not composition i.e If everything is loud, then nothing is loud, and it just loses it's power and impact. But yes, this track does have a much more open, and dynamic sound profile. A much more enjoyable listen.

With this track, you seem to be setting up builds and rises to a pay-off that doesn't arrive. And to be clear, there is nothing wrong with that. Just the perspective of one person :tu:

biodiode
KVRian
574 posts since 23 Sep, 2003 from UK

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:07 am

Nicely done. I liked this track and the way you teased the listener into thinking the tracks was about to take off but never actually does. Good used of dynamics and thanks for sharing.
Check out more of my work at https://www.adrianearnshaw.com where you will find tips, tricks on the blog and more of my compositions.

Return to “Music Cafe”