Acid Loops: Still relevant?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Are Acidized Loops important to you when buying a sample library?

yes
31%
no
69%

Total votes: 13

yellowmix
KVRian
1392 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:18 am

I think we need a distinction between acidized as in chunk 1 or with slice information, which Rex won. All I'm asking for is the chunk 1 metadata.

chickeneps
KVRist
442 posts since 24 Apr, 2002

Re: Acid Loops: Still relevant?

Post Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:58 pm

YellowMix is absolutely spot on in his analysis.

It is REALLY unfortunate that Recycle files, with it's proprietary format, has lasted this long, but we (the public) have only ourselves to blame. Recycle was First To Exist, and "REX" is easy to remember and a moniker. But there is no practical difference, at all, between Recycle and ACID and AppleLoops. They are all ONLY a piece of sound data with previously detected transient points embedded into the file, so any slice engine can play it - the magic being faster or slower without pitch change. But ACID and AppleLoops are OPEN formats, while REX is not.

In the normal world, Recycle would be history. For some reason, Recycle hangs on. My company has tried, tried, and tried over the last two decades to dissuade loop developers from releasing in Recycle, in order to shift the market properly. Unfortunately, most of them felt it too risky, so Recycle keeps living on, though it makes life tougher for just about everyone. Reason Corp (formerly Propellerhead) still refuses to make the REX file format open, and also does not make their slicing tool (Recycle itself) any better.

To the end user, every slice engine (well, except Reason itself) accepts ACID and AppleLoops as legitimate slice formats,a s well as Recycle. If you as a user want to make a change, just in your own Private Idaho, convert all your Recycle files to ACID or AppleLoops and use and buy them exclusively.

Thanks YellowMix for your great and timely information.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com
http://www.chickensys.com

yellowmix
KVRian
1392 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Post Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:02 am

Thanks, Garth.

REAPER 6 can create sliced Acid and Apple Loops. It is done using stretch markers/transient guides, then render selected media items. The BWF lists REAPER as the originator, and for Acidized WAV, the second chunk contains the slice information. It is similar for AIFF. So from here on, Recycle can be abandoned more easily.

SampleScience
KVRAF
3941 posts since 31 Oct, 2004 from Mtl, Canada

Post Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:35 am

yellowmix wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:02 am
Thanks, Garth.

REAPER 6 can create sliced Acid and Apple Loops. It is done using stretch markers/transient guides, then render selected media items. The BWF lists REAPER as the originator, and for Acidized WAV, the second chunk contains the slice information. It is similar for AIFF. So from here on, Recycle can be abandoned more easily.
That's really interesting! I'm going to take a look at Reaper 6 then, I use the older version and didn't see any reason to upgrade, until now. :tu:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”