My new studio in the making

...and how to do so...
In The Mix
KVRist
255 posts since 5 Jun, 2017 from Los Angeles

Post Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:57 pm

Hello everybody,
Just wanted to share some DIY pictures of stuff that we made recently for my new studio. I'm still not fully done with the room, but for the time being I got a few pictures that I can share. I did take pictures and some videos along the way. Eventually I'll put them all together into a video hopefully.

DIY Bass Traps:

DIY 4'X8' Skyline Diffuser:

Moonracer
KVRer
10 posts since 30 Dec, 2019

Re: My new studio in the making

Post Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:32 am

Wow! so much craftsmanship has gone into this studio!

The diffuser is visually stunning. Out of curiosity are the types of wood used all different?

Lewis

In The Mix
KVRist

Post Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:45 pm

Thank you Lewis. The credit really goes to my uncle whose carpentry skills are just amazing. I did the leg work and pretty much followed his instructions. Other than that my DIY skills from the scale of 1 to 100 are about -60000000000.

Yes, they are. I think we used 4 different woods with their natural color. I did not want to paint anything.

Pythagorean
KVRer
9 posts since 5 Jan, 2020

Post Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:15 pm

Looks great. But just a quick check.. The fibreglass in those bass traps looks like it has a high density.
Are you aware of calculators like this one http://www.acousticmodelling.com/porous.php and that low density fibreglass should give you better absorption especially in the bass?
High density fibreglass (those hard pressed dense slabs) can easily have a flow resistivity of 40000+ Pa.s.m2 while very fluffy slabs can drop to more optimal values like ~5000 Pa.s.m2

In The Mix
KVRist

Post Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:55 pm

Pythagorean wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:15 pm
Looks great. But just a quick check.. The fibreglass in those bass traps looks like it has a high density.
Are you aware of calculators like this one http://www.acousticmodelling.com/porous.php and that low density fibreglass should give you better absorption especially in the bass?
High density fibreglass (those hard pressed dense slabs) can easily have a flow resistivity of 40000+ Pa.s.m2 while very fluffy slabs can drop to more optimal values like ~5000 Pa.s.m2
Thank you. Yes, I'm aware of the frequency response of the most popular material for such applications. There are many contrasting reports/lab tests and such on these studies. Just check Gearslutz and find it out for yourself. I decided this was the right material for me, as I've used them in the past with great results. I'm really happy with the way things worked out. The difference would be very minimal and hardly noticeable otherwise.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”