New to Reaktor - what direction?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got Komplete this year and spent some time with Reaktor patching. Reaktor is not my priority number one, but I would like to build some patches with if I have spare time and am too tired of working on music. I have some experience with VCV and Cherry Modular, so modular world is not completely new to me. What I still don't really understand are fundamental Reaktor things.

What should a Reaktor beginner learn?

Racks? Pro: easy to patch, great sound. Contra - mono only, user racks will never be available, only paid modules?

Blocks? Same as Racks, with awkward patching. (I don't like switching between two panels and it's difficult to find for example where one from 10 VCA modules in one panel is placed in the other panel.)
Mono only too, but there are free blocks from user library, not paid only content.

Primary. Pro: polyphonic, lot of user library content. Contra: modules not as great sounding as Blocks modules, like Monark filter.

Core. Pro: flexible. Contra: too technical.

Coming from other front patching plugins I find Racks a good solution. But as I understand it there will never be polyphonic Racks and, unlike Blocks, Racks are aimed to paid modules. No user library.

So it would be wiser not to bother with Racks, but only work with Blocks right from the start? Because technically modules in both versions are same, but with Blocks you can build your own modules or load them from user library. It's even possible to mix Primary modules with Blocks modules, so I could connect a polyphonic Primary OSC with a monophonic Monark filter.

Stirner wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:05 pm It's even possible to mix Primary modules with Blocks modules, so I could connect a polyphonic Primary OSC with a monophonic Monark filter.
That's why the majority of beginners blocks sound like shiit , they don't adhere the block standard which is crucial ( everything running at sample rate , except visuals ) , some primary modules only have event rate inputs a running at a lower clock speed , which means they are NOT suited for patching audio signals/modulation
Audio processing for blocks is done in core ,everything runs at sample rate , period
Don't expect to build a block right from the start , you need to learn core first .
Good luck

See you ina few years :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

To get the best out of Reaktor gentleclockdivider is right - you need to get to grips with Core. And it will take a few years, I guarantee it, but it will be worth it if you have the vision.

Regarding polyphony, it _is_ possible to code polyphonic Blocks (my pal David at Toyboxaudio managed it, I've tested it and it does what it says, they'll be released soon from what I understand) so that target is realistic, but to get anywhere near that level you'll need to start with the Core guide and go through it step-by-step.

And good luck from me too! I wonder what you're planning to build...?

Core? Years? To be honest, this is not the answer I hoped to hear :)

I read some pages in the core guide and it looks like graphic programming, so you can build your own DSP effects, oscillators and filters. This is definitely too much for me right now. Even Primary modules are a little too low level for me.

I think I just follow some tutorials, work with Primary a little, patch with Racks/Blocks and maybe one day I will understand why I need to learn Core. And maybe in the future NI will optimize the Racks experience, like polyphony and user modules. Than I just can use modules built by freaks who know Core better than me.

In my experience, there are some good tutorials in Reaktor manual «Building in Prime» and also great Kadenze course https://www.kadenze.com/courses/sound-s ... aktor/info

To use Core effectively (and wisely) you need to understand - better: have learned - DSP. That's the barrier one has to overcome. Primaries take that burden off your shoulder and it's no wonder that the famous userlib is so ... erm ... famous.

Never tried Blocks, though, because I'm still on v5.

___
edit: spelling

while most of the above is true
there are plenty instruments and effects built in primary that sound great
there are so many ways to enjoy Reaktor its ridiculous
maybe just playing around with it is enough
until you get a clear idea of what you would like to do

dave

Stirner wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:05 pm Racks? Pro: easy to patch, great sound. Contra - mono only, user racks will never be available, only paid modules?
For a polyphony in rack format look at the newly released ToyBox Synth Bundle.

Stirner wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:05 pm Blocks? Same as Racks, with awkward patching. (I don't like switching between two panels and it's difficult to find for example where one from 10 VCA modules in one panel is placed in the other panel.)
Mono only too, but there are free blocks from user library, not paid only content.
Actually, cord patching is avaliable in ensemble mode too, but only with those blocks that has the GUI inputs\outputs implemented.
Also you can use the structure view in rack mode too (Ctrl+4, Ctrl+5 on PC). Note that there is a more inputs\outputs avaliable for some blocks in structure view.

Stirner wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:05 pm Coming from other front patching plugins I find Racks a good solution. But as I understand it there will never be polyphonic Racks and, unlike Blocks, Racks are aimed to paid modules. No user library.
David from ToyBox have an idea to create a NI registered free "Community Pack" of blocks from the user library to be avaliable in rack mode. I hope it will happen.

Stirner wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:05 pm So it would be wiser not to bother with Racks, but only work with Blocks right from the start?
In this case you are bound to save your patches in the ensemble format and it can easily take up to 100mb or much more depending on the number of blocks you are using. Also note, that the changes in ensembles are not saving with your DAW project files automaticcaly, so if you want to change something during your work, you have to save these changes manually (and probably create a new version of the ensemble).
In racks mode the patches are very lightweight (like in most synths) and they are saving within your project files automatically.

giant_panda wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:27 pm For a polyphony in rack format look at the newly released ToyBox Synth Bundle.
Oh, happy to hear that. Great work from Toybox stuff with this polyphonic stuff. Hmm, maybe my next purchase.

I hope NI will follow and release polyphonic modules for Racks (maybe some Super 8 or Massive X oscillators/filters :tu: )
I like cord patching and the issue with saving huge ensembles is also an argument pro Racks.

I followed some tutorials for patching with Primary and even played with Core. It's a way too deep for me. What I need is a musical instrument and not a programming environment.

There are MANY great blocks and ensembles made from proper blocks in the the User Library. I found the best way to get a handle on the situation was to download a LOT of highly rated blacks and ens form established builders and look under the hood. Why reinvent the wheel?
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

I would use Racks... get 2 add-on packs

Euro Reakt
Toy Box

Then you would have enough modules to explore for the next 20 years
M

it depends what you want to get from reaktor, it can do almost anything you can dream of.
if you want to learn to make your own instruments and effects then definitely start learning about the primary modules first, then slowly work your way into the core modules.
if you just want to use it as a modular environment then you wont even need to go under the hood, you can just learn blocks and the library content (and the HUGE and AWESOME user library available on the NI site).

pdxindy wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:29 am I would use Racks... get 2 add-on packs

Euro Reakt
Toy Box

Then you would have enough modules to explore for the next 20 years
M
Quite the accolade :)
Thanks! I'll let Dave know

Stirner wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:05 pm

What should a Reaktor beginner learn?
There’s completely different level of approach to learning Reaktor that almost nobody ever considers when this sort question comes and that’s to start really understanding the basic program operation at the main and top Structure levels before you learn what Core and Primary even mean. Right at this top level, Reaktor is already an extremely powerful building tool, far more than just a player for other people’s UL and Factory creations.

Check out this 40 page beginner’s guide in the UL, packed from start to finish with unique custom-made devices and directions for making them and you’ll see exactly what I mean. it may look old but it’s very little out of date
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/3631/

I have looked at tutorials for building in Reaktor and I just never find it... engaging. I’m not the programmer type.

However, my appreciation for, and reliance on, Reaktor is DEEP. For me, it’s a mega collection of synths and effects, built by NI and, more importantly, other users who ARE programmers. For that alone, it’s invaluable.

I don’t at all need to become a builder to adore the tool; it’s just an occasional nagging expectation that I learn something about building. I’m usually able to put that nagging feeling to rest again after getting one quarter through a tutorial :-D
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Modular Synthesis”