MuLab 8.4.18 (APDC)

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

PS: About the null test in your last video: Using 2 oscillators with a waveform at 0* and at 180* is not the ideal way to do null testing of a signal path because the oscillators use interpolation and also due to unavoidable rounding errors (all software suffers from that) an oscillator waveform at 0* and at 180* do not cancel eachother to - oo dB. They do cancel much below the audible level (-90 dB) but for null testing better use an Audio Inverter as that module perfectly inverts an audio signal: Audio + inverted audio gives perfect silence.

M8.4.4 is available in http://www.mutools.com/mulab/beta/

This update fixes the "VcdMpuStp 438" error logs.

How to update:
Windows: Replace the current MuLab.exe and MuLab.ID by the new versions.
MacOS: Replace the current MuLab.app by the new version.

Um, is the .Mux file format from Mulab 8.4.4 compatible with the latest MUX plugin VST? (I just updated my Mux files, forgetting I was on 8.4.4 of Mulab and MUX was an earlier version...)

I cannot answer that question from the head, i 'd have to do a time-consuming file compare to answer that question. The general answer is that when the file format has changed then there normally is backward compatibility (M7 loads in M8) but not forward compatibility (M8 does not load in M7).
Practically: Do you encounter a practical problem with loading a M8.4 file in M8.3?
If yes then do you have a backup?
If not then worst case is to wait until MUX Plugin 8.4 is available.

OK, the patches seem to load up in MUX 8.3.3 (it took a long time to be able to try as I've a large number of wrapped large Kontakt sample libraries - I didn't see a way to cancel the process).

I noticed during the conversion that there were some places you can say "Do the same thing next time you'd ask this question" when I had to choose what to do. However, for most of the questions, it asks every time. Given that it doesn't tell you anything about what it's doing (like which patch it's working on), there seems no benefit in asking for each one - it just means you have to sit and watch it...

These aren't particularly high priority (most people won't convert a whole mass of patches very often) but getting some more information on the process, being able to say "do the same for all such questions" and, perhaps, being able to say "stop!" would all be nice to have additions.

Which concrete questions were that?

One problem is they are asked with no context - I can't really remember... Something about "keep the sound" or "keep the definition" came up many times with no option to say "And always do this". That one specifically needs to say far more about what it's asking, if it's important to be asking, as it's not possible to make a choice based on what you get presented with. One that did have a useful "and always do this" was choosing a folder to search when something couldn't be found... I thought it was VSTs, but I could be wrong there. Again, knowing which patch or project is being worked on, at least, would help ("all in this patch" as an additional option would be another good option then).

I see, thanks.

About that question: It's related to the Multi-Form Oscillator. In some version the spectral filter transform was replaced by a new improved version but that affected the sound and so when loading a patch with the old filter version the question is about whether to use the new spectral filter.

Just a minor question, don't want to open a new thread because of it:
Why do backup projects appear in the open project dialog when the regular ones are ok?
(I also wish there were a double-click option for center reset and 0db reset in the mixer.)

Because a user might want to open the backup version.

Alt+click a knob/slider to step thru its preset values.
0 dB is one of the preset values for a gain slider.

mutools wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:03 pm Because a user might want to open the backup version.

Alt+click a knob/slider to step thru its preset values.
0 dB is one of the preset values for a gain slider.
I am talking about project templates, by the way.
Yes, but I could still do so manually if necessary. A backup template should not appear in the short list during start up unless it crashed the last time around. Basically like with MS Word :hihi:

Still, double-clicking would be much easier. Double clicking on those controls doesn't seem to do anything else, so the action is still free.

I am getting clicks and crackles in an audio project in 8.4.4. I assume it's because of the APDC, because the same project in 8.2.9 plays back fine.
Anyone else experiencing problems? Is there a way to toggle APDC on / off? I couldn't find it.

Kind regards

Andy

Yes it's a known bug in the APDC system. The bug is fixed in M8.4.5. See next post.

M8.4.5 is available in http://www.mutools.com/mulab/beta/
  • All audio level meters are latency compensated.
  • Fixed a serious sonic bug in the APDC system.
  • In the exceptional cases a native alert box is shown it now includes the MuTools app name (eg "MuLab") so to make clear where such alert box comes from.
How to update:
Windows: Replace the current MuLab.exe and MuLab.ID by the new versions.
MacOS: Replace the current MuLab.app by the new version.

PS: I'm aware there still are other graphic elements that need latency compensation eg. the play cursor in the composer, the Modulation Monitor, ... Working on that, but already shared this update because of that sonic APDC bug fix.

Return to “MUTOOLS”