Scoox
KVRist
223 posts since 8 May, 2008

Post Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:48 pm

Elektronisch wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:35 pm
Scoox wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:33 pm
Err... just bought Zebra 2. I tested the demo and the GUI ergonomics are not the best out there but I'm sure Zebra 3 will improve on that, but the flexibility and depth should keep me busy for a bit.

I've still got that 30% discount coupon. I might use it to buy Hive 2. I'll get the demo tomorrow and see if I like it. Otherwise I'll get Serum.

Question for Urs, if I start learning Zebra 2 now, will a lot of the knowledge be transferable to Zebra 3 or is it going to be completely different? Thanks
Didnt you demo zebra 2 before buying?
I did, but my testing was limited to browsing through presets, reading reviews, watching videos and doing a bit of tweaking here and there. I believe Zebra meets the "versatile" requirement best. Now I just need to study the manual.

Faiky
KVRist
111 posts since 23 Jun, 2012

Re: Hive 2, Serum or Zebra 2?

Post Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:51 pm

that's true, maybe you can make your own deal with downloading some of the free serum preset and wavetable and seeing youtube tutorials available in the gigant selection in the web. Time comes, money comes.

Scoox
KVRist

Post Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:18 pm

There:
Urs wrote:Actually, we've started to work on Zebra3, that's true. Because we're not Apple and we're too excited to keep it a secret, we came up with a devlish incentive to still get Zebra2:
  • Price for Zebra2: 199$
  • Price for Zebra3: 249$
  • Upgrade V2->V3: 30$
  • Upgrade from Zebra2 + The Dark Zebra: Free
This plus the Black Friday discount... I couldn't resist.

Scoox
KVRist

Post Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:48 pm

I foolishly believed the Black Friday sale was on just on the Friday—went to sleep at almost 6 a.m. battling with this dilemma... :dog: :hihi:

spray14
KVRer
5 posts since 28 Oct, 2019

Post Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:38 pm

What's this about a free upgrade to Dark Zebra? Is that coming later, or already available?

CausticPuppy
KVRer
7 posts since 28 Jun, 2010

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:05 am

spray14 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:38 pm
What's this about a free upgrade to Dark Zebra? Is that coming later, or already available?
Not a free upgrade to Dark Zebra. But if you already have Zebra2 and Dark Zebra, the upgrade to Zebra 3 is free.

MorpherX
KVRist
144 posts since 17 Feb, 2014

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:16 pm

These 3 can not be compared in my view, because they are very different, but Serum is now a bit outdated and it often produces aliasing and the filter are not the best, so I hope Zebra 3 is coming soon with resynthesis and the very good U-He filters and effects and with not to many tabs.

I have upgraded Hive 1.2 to Hive 2 and the perfect addition to it would be Zebra 3 which should have resynthesis from samples to Wavetable with the option to tape in a keynote ( c3, c3+, d3, ....etc) or sample-split (256,512, 1024, etc.) and of course with the great interpolation modes from Hive 1.2/2.

yellowmix
KVRian
1386 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:19 pm

MorpherX wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:16 pm
Serum is now a bit outdated and it often produces aliasing
Say what? From the oscillators to the last FX it's band-limited. This is what many people find offputting in the filters, since there's a lot more high-end retained. Under what conditions do you find it aliasing?

Urs
u-he
24200 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:47 am

yellowmix wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:19 pm
Under what conditions do you find it aliasing?
I wouldn't call it aliasing, but last time I checked its wavetables switch hard when swept, so there are discontinuities which cause artefacts. One can somewhat minimise these by creating very large wavetables with its built-in interpolation modes.

In Hive OTOH hand these interpolation methods work in realtime for absolutely seamless wavetable transitions.

PieBerger
KVRist
498 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Post Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:51 am

Urs wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:47 am
yellowmix wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:19 pm
Under what conditions do you find it aliasing?
I wouldn't call it aliasing, but last time I checked its wavetables switch hard when swept, so there are discontinuities which cause artefacts. One can somewhat minimise these by creating very large wavetables with its built-in interpolation modes.

In Hive OTOH hand these interpolation methods work in realtime for absolutely seamless wavetable transitions.
The hard switching is quite noticeable and a big problem when using full 256 frame third party wavetables e.g. Galbanum, where there are no free frames left (not without removing tables) to create the necessary interpolation frames. Realtime interpolation is definitely a winner. Now all I need is that same silky smooth action with 2D scanning of course between oscillators at audio-rate :D
Always Read the Manual!

Urs
u-he
24200 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:40 am

PieBerger wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:51 am
Now all I need is that same silky smooth action with 2D scanning of course between oscillators at audio-rate :D
How much CPU are you prepared to sacrifice for this?

For audiorate wavetable modulation I assume that the CPU consumption would roughly be 50x to 60x of what Hive currently uses. :o

enCiphered
KVRian
587 posts since 13 Dec, 2016

Post Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:46 am

I think a modern cpu has enough power nowadays without having to cost a fortune. Is it not the developers job to make his code good and clean enough so that anyone could benefit from all the synthpower available?

yellowmix
KVRian
1386 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Post Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:11 am

Urs wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:47 am
Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, I agree, Hive's interpolation is the current reigning champion. Serum's is good, as you say, when there is room to interpolate. It just gets worse from there. Pigments interpolation is basic. Europa's is the worst I've found. It fades the start and end of individual wavetable frames, changing the timbre entirely. Still all capable of producing good sounds but not necessarily what was intended.

PieBerger
KVRist
498 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Post Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:19 am

Urs wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:40 am
PieBerger wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:51 am
Now all I need is that same silky smooth action with 2D scanning of course between oscillators at audio-rate :D
How much CPU are you prepared to sacrifice for this?

For audiorate wavetable modulation I assume that the CPU consumption would roughly be 50x to 60x of what Hive currently uses. :o
Maybe a gloves are off, take no prisoners, have no mercy "insane" button in Z3 :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

Scoox
KVRist

Post Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:45 am

In the end I just bought Zebra 2. Hive 2 is a very good synth but I ended up having some reservations about the workflow and GUI which I've emailed U-he about. For now, I think I've got all my fronts covered with my current plugin collection.

Return to “u-he”