MIDI file not playing back

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
ivanskcheung
KVRer
4 posts since 4 Dec, 2019

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:41 am

I imported two .mid files, one created from Scorecloud 4 and another from a website into Tracktion. However, with the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth set as the default MIDI output, I am unable to hear any of my MIDI recordings. Does anyone know a solution to this? I would really appreciate anyone who would offer to teach me MIDI via private messaging.

ivanskcheung
KVRer

Re: MIDI file not playing back

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:45 am

By the way, I'm using a demo version

BlackWinny
KVRAF
4235 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:56 am

Welcome !
:)

It seems that you don't understand how a DAW works.

You set Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth as the default MIDI output of Tracktion, but it is not the point.

The point is : "what do you use as audio output ?"

On your Tracktion DAW (as on any other DAW) you must essentially set:

1 - the Audio OUT (to send the resulting sounds to an ASIO output or a Windows output, the best being to send to an ASIO output, either the one featured with your sound device... or ASIO4All). It is explained in the page Audio Device Setup. And don't forget to click the button "Test" to check the correct final setting.

2 - and the MIDI IN (for a MIDI controller keyboard if you use one but it is not required if you simply load Midi files in the DAW). It is explained in the page MIDI Setup.

The most important are Audio Out (always required) and MIDI IN (required as soon as you use a MIDI controller, that one being a keyboard or not). Follow well the two steps above and everything will now work.
:wink:
Last edited by BlackWinny on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:07 am, edited 7 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny
KVRAF

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:45 am

And of course you must put an instrument (a VST synth for example) on your MIDI track, because it is the VST instrument which will convert the MIDI notes to real sounds. In the Tracktion T7 PDF help manual it is explained here : Insert a synth plugin.

Here are many video tutorials for Tracktion T7... where you will find all the things I explained above and also how to put a VST instrument on your track to make it play your MIDI file.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

ivanskcheung
KVRer

Post Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:28 am

Thank you. I tried to find the Tracktion FM synth plugin by browsing for it in the Tracktion search with 'FM' but couldn't find this plugin. Why is this?

BlackWinny
KVRAF

Post Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:59 am

The Tracktion FM Synth was a part of the Tracktion Micro Synth Pack.

The customers of Tracktion had to download the Tracktion Micro Synth Pack from their account, in the "Download" part of their account:

https://www.tracktion.com/wp/wp-content ... lation.pdf

I don't know if it is still available. I doubt.

Anyway, it was a pack of very common synths. Totally outdated today, even for simple beginner uses.

Anyway you have the exact equivalent of the "Tracktion FM Synth" in the Dead Duck Free Instruments Bundle because the Tracktion FM Synth was nothing else than an old version of the DDX10 FM synth which is in this Dead Duck instruments collection. And in the Dead Duck collection it is a more recent version.

:D

Don't forget to take also the Dead Duck Effects collection.

And another synth, much more advanced, from the same developer : Deducktion Synthesizer

All these things are free. You can download all in only three zip files in this page of the website:

https://deadducksoftware.blogspot.com/2 ... ugins.html

ivanskcheung
KVRer

Post Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks for the tips. Actually, what I really hope to do is to edit the various tracks (instruments) that comprise of a midi file obtained from the internet. Can Trackiton detect these different instruments and then automatically assign them into their own track from which I can make modifications to?

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”