DrumComputer VST from Sugar Bytes - out now, EUR119!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DrumComputer

Smapti wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:20 pm You can indeed import samples into the wavetable and resynth engines, but be aware that this isn't the same as loading a sample into a sampler. This is not a bad thing since the wavetable and resynth engines can do very interesting things with user samples.

Also, note that MIDI out doesn't just send notes but also CC messages.
That's what I was afraid of. That can be nice if you want synthesis options, but not so nice if you want pure sample quality. I have Cyclops and while Sugar Bytes have fun products, but I wish they would work on their audio quality. I'm a hardware guy and don't mind using software if it's intuitive and not menu ridden, but I look for audio quality that doesn't make me think I'm hearing software. It's just a personal thing for me and music.

stikygum wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:13 pmWell, at least there is a way to control other software. I might have to download the demo to try out. Maybe I can figure out a way to get it to control XLN Audio XO. I really like the extremely quick sample searching and easy sequence/groove creation XO has, but the sequencer isn't as full featured as DrumComputer.

Does DrumComputer export midi, either the whole midi file (with all the drum tracks) or individual drum tracks?
I suppose it would not truly be a Sugar Bytes sequencer plugin without MIDI drag-and-drop functionality:

Although less ideal, the MIDI that is output from DrumComputer may also be recorded in a sequencer/DAW.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

stikygum wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:13 pm
tonedef71 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:22 pm
stikygum wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:28 amAnyone know if you can use it's sequencer to control other software/hardware?
When I was demoing a trial version of DrumComputer 1.0, that was the very first thing I attempted to do. Using the zones, you can map the MIDI keys of the eight drum sounds, but it is not as flexible as I would like. Check out my post back on page 6 of this thread: viewtopic.php?p=7600034#p7600034

Thanks for pointing that out.

Well, at least there is a way to control other software. I might have to download the demo to try out. Maybe I can figure out a way to get it to control XLN Audio XO. I really like the extremely quick sample searching and easy sequence/groove creation XO has, but the sequencer isn't as full featured as DrumComputer.
This can be done. I just tried it out because you made me curious. You just have to change the mapping in DrumComputer to start at C1 with sequential notes. Then just save the mapping template. Controls it fine. However, it would probably be best to start the patterns from a blank slate. The sounds don't match up between the two.

So I'm playing around a bit more and realizing that there are so many possibilities, you really have to make some starting point templates if you want to dial in a particular sound - that's especially true of kicks, 'cause there's less room for experimentation - there are essential components to those sounds to make them work. Probably why it's easy to get in trouble there.

Also, there's enough variation in tweaks to the sound modules (compared to, for example a module designed specifically to create a kick, or a cymbal, etc.), that the sweet spots can be a bit hard to find.

Still, I found a few tricks and was able to create a very decent 808 (better IMHO than the preset even, 'cause I dialed just the right click ;) ). I was also able to get some nice hard kicks out, though I think a per-component limiter might help a bit there.

However, to get the kicks just right required serious use of the proper global settings in the finalizer, and that's a bit of an issue if saving / loading kit components. For example, load the 808 kick preset into a kit with a punchy transient shaper, and the 808 boom is of course lost (a lot of the preset kits use the relaxed mode, which is perfect for the 808).

Seems obvious, but it does mean a little brain-jiggling is needed. If you're used to sample-based drum machines, or those with components that do not rely as much on the global effects, loading an 808 kick is pretty much always going to give you that sound. In this case, you'll need the global finalizer effects to dial it in, and of course they'll apply to the rest of your kit - so for example "relaxed" mode is going to give you long tails on all your drums, when you really may only want it for the kick, and want to emphasize more transient snap for other kit components.

Obviously the finalizer is meant as glue compression and saturation, but I think if those effects were also available per component, that would probably go a long way to towards getting creating templates and presets per sound. Currently, you really need to work with a kit as a whole because of that reliance. And some sounds (like that iconic 808-style kick), really rely on that global chain.

Not a lot of room left for more knobs per component, but if it could be done, I think it would especially help sound designers and users who want to create mix and match components. Plus, this thing is so close now with the 1.1 update. :)

sounds like a drum machine.....ok, going back to sleep

Bump1 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:55 am sounds like a drum machine.....ok, going back to sleep
Good to know.
(have you considered becoming a beta tester?)

tonedef71 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:28 pm
stikygum wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:13 pmWell, at least there is a way to control other software. I might have to download the demo to try out. Maybe I can figure out a way to get it to control XLN Audio XO. I really like the extremely quick sample searching and easy sequence/groove creation XO has, but the sequencer isn't as full featured as DrumComputer.

Does DrumComputer export midi, either the whole midi file (with all the drum tracks) or individual drum tracks?
I suppose it would not truly be a Sugar Bytes sequencer plugin without MIDI drag-and-drop functionality:

Although less ideal, the MIDI that is output from DrumComputer may also be recorded in a sequencer/DAW.
Ok, thats cool. Wish these products could export midi for each part, but XLN Audio XO doesn't do it either. I can separate the midi into individual tracks myself I suppose to process the parts separately.

JiggSaw wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:17 pm
This can be done. I just tried it out because you made me curious. You just have to change the mapping in DrumComputer to start at C1 with sequential notes. Then just save the mapping template. Controls it fine. However, it would probably be best to start the patterns from a blank slate. The sounds don't match up between the two.
Thanks for the tip. You guys convinced me to download the demo. Using a blank template is good idea.

stikygum wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:09 am
Thanks for the tip. You guys convinced me to download the demo. Using a blank template is good idea.
do so. i revisit it after v1.1, and am waiting for a sale. if you like less weird sounds, check out DavidF preset folder.

JoeCat wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:00 am So I'm playing around a bit more and realizing that there are so many possibilities, you really have to make some starting point templates if you want to dial in a particular sound - that's especially true of kicks, 'cause there's less room for experimentation - there are essential components to those sounds to make them work. Probably why it's easy to get in trouble there.

Also, there's enough variation in tweaks to the sound modules (compared to, for example a module designed specifically to create a kick, or a cymbal, etc.), that the sweet spots can be a bit hard to find.

Still, I found a few tricks and was able to create a very decent 808 (better IMHO than the preset even, 'cause I dialed just the right click ;) ). I was also able to get some nice hard kicks out, though I think a per-component limiter might help a bit there.

However, to get the kicks just right required serious use of the proper global settings in the finalizer, and that's a bit of an issue if saving / loading kit components. For example, load the 808 kick preset into a kit with a punchy transient shaper, and the 808 boom is of course lost (a lot of the preset kits use the relaxed mode, which is perfect for the 808).

Seems obvious, but it does mean a little brain-jiggling is needed. If you're used to sample-based drum machines, or those with components that do not rely as much on the global effects, loading an 808 kick is pretty much always going to give you that sound. In this case, you'll need the global finalizer effects to dial it in, and of course they'll apply to the rest of your kit - so for example "relaxed" mode is going to give you long tails on all your drums, when you really may only want it for the kick, and want to emphasize more transient snap for other kit components.

Obviously the finalizer is meant as glue compression and saturation, but I think if those effects were also available per component, that would probably go a long way to towards getting creating templates and presets per sound. Currently, you really need to work with a kit as a whole because of that reliance. And some sounds (like that iconic 808-style kick), really rely on that global chain.

Not a lot of room left for more knobs per component, but if it could be done, I think it would especially help sound designers and users who want to create mix and match components. Plus, this thing is so close now with the 1.1 update. :)
I've found that (for my workflow at least) it's a lot easier to bypass the finalizer and route the instruments to sub-busses in my DAW -- eg, all kick drums to one bus, snares and claps to another, etc. Then I can add eq, compression, and transient shaping to taste. The finalizer inside Drumcomputer is nice but it doesn't quite get me to where I want to be.

Can you get any LinnDrum or 707 sounding kicks and snares out of this? Everything I've heard sounds too synthesized and "weak".

stikygum wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:28 amAnyone know if you can use it's sequencer to control other software/hardware?
When I was demoing a trial version of DrumComputer 1.0, that was the very first thing I attempted to do. Using the zones, you can map the MIDI keys of the eight drum sounds, but it is not as flexible as I would like. Check out my post back on page 6 of this thread: viewtopic.php?p=7600034#p7600034

Well, at least there is a way to control other software. I might have to download the demo to try out. Maybe I can figure out a way to get it to control XLN Audio XO. I really like the extremely quick sample searching and easy sequence/groove creation XO has, but the sequencer isn't as full featured as DrumComputer.
Hmm, I tried this and wasn't able to get DrumComputer to send midi to XO. What DAW are you using? I'm using Logic.

I'm using the demo of DrumComputer though, so I'm not sure if midi out is disabled (being that midi drag and drop is disabled in the demo version).
Last edited by stikygum on Thu May 07, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

stikygum wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:52 am

Hmm, I tried this and wasn't able to get DrumComputer to send midi to XO. What DAW are you using? I'm using Logic.
I'm using Live 10.

JiggSaw wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:58 am
stikygum wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:52 am

I'm using Live 10.
And you have the full version of DrumComputer, not the demo? I'm using the demo and am thinking that since drag and drop is disabled, maybe midi output is too?

stikygum wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:01 am And you have the full version of DrumComputer, not the demo? I'm using the demo and am thinking that since drag and drop is disabled, maybe midi output is too?
Yeah, that could be it since I do have the full version.

Return to “Instruments”