DrumComputer VST from Sugar Bytes - out now, EUR119!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DrumComputer

Examigan wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:59 pm
sqigls wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:37 am i wanted to like all the Sugar Bytes stuff, but none of it remains in my plugin folder.
Their Factory synth is pretty cool. :)
Sugarbyte's Factory is one of my main synths. Way underrated instrument, IMO. The concept of an organic sounding synth is brilliant, and it sounds marvelous.
However, I gotta say I had to spend a lot of time tweaking the presets to my liking.

sqigls wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:37 am i wanted to like all the Sugar Bytes stuff, but none of it remains in my plugin folder.
Factory is really cool but Aparillo is my favourite of their plugins.

Just for straight up diffused atmospheric/cinematic/organic pads Aparillo is amazing. All from one midi note.

You can get a similar diffusion in Factory adjusting the jitter on the Wavetable drone Oscillator in Factory.

They have some secret sauce in their Jitter algorithm.

When I was messing around with it I was amazed what could be done with just one osc:
https://soundcloud.com/examigan/factory-synth-lead

Sinisterbr wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:52 pm
Sugarbyte's Factory is one of my main synths. Way underrated instrument, IMO. The concept of an organic sounding synth is brilliant, and it sounds marvelous.
However, I gotta say I had to spend a lot of time tweaking the presets to my liking.
Here's a wee track using only Factory for everything. I think about 8 instances plus effects. Yes it's a very nice synth with a unique sound! Same with all the Sugar Bytes synths really...

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/wo ... th-factory

if anyone wanna sell it let me know ;)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

For some reason I cannot find 3rd party presets for DrumComputer (except 3 presets in KVR repo). Is it that because no interest? Or most users use randomize features?

Currently I'm looking for drum sounds for electronic music something between EDM and ambient. I don't know how to precisely name this sub-genre. If you know Madis and his Sea of Tranquility, Carrying of fire etc (or mind to check him on spotify/yt etc). Maybe some songs from Kebu (but Madis adds tons more of percussive elements)
The point is those are thick but at the same time very crispy. A lot of hi-end in lot of percussive elements but it's not hi-freq noise. TBH I never figured why most vsts are not capable to produce such airy but not tiresome percussive sounds. I know it might be arrangement, production, mastering but VSTis mostly sound very rough and heavy (sonic wise). I admit I'm not using samples yet.
On the other hands I can see videos on YT where those sounds plays from HW rigs out of the box.

Anyway I went through all factory presets of CM and most of them sound like sonic experiment. While too few can be used directly in a mainstream. Nothing against them, just not fit the genre I'm into. Maybe I should check other drum sequencers?

with regards

i'd be willing to bet the percussion is heavily filtered or eq-ed and you can get the same out of any synth with decent envelope control (for the stuff that isn't sampled) - probably an fm synth for the obviously synthetic percussion sounds and for those i wouldn't be surprised if they were resampled as he uses a lot of ratcheting effects, which is way easier to do with a sampled source. if you had the isolated tracks, my guess is that they won't sound like much at all on their own - they just fit with the track after a ton of mixing.

i think a lot of them are samples and you're not going to get those precise sounds out of a drum synthesis plugin directly - you'd need to work more with a sampler or with multiple outs and get aggressive with the eq etc.

maxym.srpl wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:22 pm For some reason I cannot find 3rd party presets for DrumComputer (except 3 presets in KVR repo). Is it that because no interest? Or most users use randomize features?
The only two DrumComputer preset sets I'm currently aware of are Embrays Designs' presets (www.gumroad.com/embrays), which has a variety of drum types, and my kick drum presets (https://www.davewheitner.com/music/pres ... mcomputer/). There was a bit of conversation on them a few pages back on this thread.
Edit: The latter requires DrumComputer v1.2.5 (includes "velocity samplestart" bug fix) or later.
Last edited by bboxdw on Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I'm logged in to my Sugar Bytes account, however DrumComputer and Aparillo simply will not download. It keeps redirecting to https://sugar-bytes.de/account/products which seems to stall and then becomes a blank white page. "503 Service Temporarily Unavailable". Everyone else must be trying to download it too. Great minds think alike. :D

Edit: After a short delay, both plug-ins downloaded successfully. Thank you for the update Sugar Bytes!! :tu:

Edit again lol: "VST3 plug-in standard support, MIDI FX plug-in support, velocity samplestart and tube distortion bug fixed"

Thank you for fixing the sample start issue and adding MIDI FX plug-in support. This opens up even more interesting uses for DrumComputer!!

morphex wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:27 pm Thank you for fixing the sample start issue and adding MIDI FX plug-in support. This opens up even more interesting uses for DrumComputer!!
I'm also quite grateful for the sample start fix.

I'm not understanding the significance of the MIDI FX plug-in support; do you (or anyone else here) mind sharing a brief example or two of how you might use this new feature? If it's specific to certain DAWs, just let me know--I may not be grasping the possibilities b/c I generally use DrumComputer within Bitwig and occasionally in Cubase.

bboxdw wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:44 pm
morphex wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:27 pm Thank you for fixing the sample start issue and adding MIDI FX plug-in support. This opens up even more interesting uses for DrumComputer!!
I'm also quite grateful for the sample start fix.

I'm not understanding the significance of the MIDI FX plug-in support; do you (or anyone else here) mind sharing a brief example or two of how you might use this new feature? If it's specific to certain DAWs, just let me know--I may not be grasping the possibilities b/c I generally use DrumComputer within Bitwig and occasionally in Cubase.
My initial experience was with using DrumComputer’s sequencer to drive Vital and other synths. I loaded it up in Logic Pro as a MIDI effect and it’s very useful as an arp/sequencer with the ability to create glitchy patterns.

I admit though that I am still fairly new to this instrument and will likely learn about other uses through experimenting. As a tip, add any 3rd party wavetables (or your own) to DrumComputer’s library so that you can use them to create drum or synth sounds since it’s not limited to only drum sounds.

morphex wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:34 pm My initial experience was with using DrumComputer’s sequencer to drive Vital and other synths. I loaded it up in Logic Pro as a MIDI effect and it’s very useful as an arp/sequencer with the ability to create glitchy patterns.

I admit though that I am still fairly new to this instrument and will likely learn about other uses through experimenting. As a tip, add any 3rd party wavetables (or your own) to DrumComputer’s library so that you can use them to create drum or synth sounds since it’s not limited to only drum sounds.
Many thanks for the example--if I'm understanding, loading DrumComputer as a MIDI effect makes it easier to pass the MIDI to other plugins, at least in DAWs that support the format and where such routing might otherwise be more complicated.

The use of external wavetables is a great tip, as it's easy to forget that alongside the sampler import.

I love DrumComputer, this MIDIfx option is a very cool update. I have the Roland cloud suite and putting this midifx ontop of my 606/707/727/808/909 plugins and randomize is awesome. The sequencer of drumcomputer has very nice options and probability features to make a pattern very dynamic, also the remixslider is awesome

Caine123 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:25 am if anyone wanna sell it let me know ;)
Nope
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Return to “Instruments”